Thursday, May 26, 2011

Flora, Chickens & Crochet Baby Booties

Is there anything more lush and lacy and indicative of Spring than the new fronds of an emerging fern? I planted this one next to our waterfall and pond several years ago and in winter it dies and is gone from sight, and in the Spring little coils of fragile growth emerge and unfurl to become this.  Kate from Garden Bell posted a photo of her gorgeous fern, so I wanted to show her mine. :-)
My white Azalea is almost all opened up.
This is my "White Garden" - I planted my white Lilac next to the white Azalea - I planted it next to the deck on purpose so I could stand on the deck and pull a lilac over and bury my nose in it.  I also thought it would be nice to open the little windows on the garden window and the lilac scent would blow in on the breezes.
We've added a bigger run for the chickens so they have lots of grass and ground to scratch and dig in looking for worms and bugs.. yummy.. Rose, Betsy Ross & Bella are happy chooks.   We had a "situation" with Rose.. she went "broody" and refused to leave her nest, we had to move her to collect the other chicken's eggs and she stopped laying.. of course it was to no avail as we have no rooster.  Hubby kept moving her off the nest.. but back she'd go.. but when he tossed her into the new run with the tall grass she started to get over it.  But she's still not laying.. silly chicken.
A shot from a different angle of the creek and my garden statue.  I got the girl one and hubby got a Chinese soldier one.. I'll have to photograph him and show you sometime.
Here is our Japanese Laceleaf Maple.. it's kind of funny how small it is, the Dwarf Variegated Bamboo towers over it.  I wish the daffodil leaves weren't so annoying after their done blooming. :-)
I recently learned that a friend of mine, Jenna, who lives in Seattle and works for Microsoft and got married a few years ago.. is pregnant with a girl!!  So, I am crocheting a pair of my own design baby booties to send up to them.  I did a new edging, a ruffle... the color in this photo is way too vivid, it's not that neon.  But a fun photo anyway.
I'm off to volunteer at Multnomah Falls today.  I swam yesterday and ran a ton of errands.  The day before I went to get my blood pressure checked and the doctor said it was "phenomenal" - in his words.  So, all is well!!  I guess the swimming has paid off in many ways.

Thanks for visiting and keep those comments coming.. they are what keep a blogger going.. knowing that you aren't just talking to yourself. :-)

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

20 comments:

  1. No, you are not just talking to yourself. LOL. Pammy Sue is present and accounted for. And what cute little booties. I assume you did make another one? hee-hee. Or maybe not. I do that sometimes. That's why I don't think I could ever make socks.

    Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Sweetie. When I want to have an intelligent conversation, I talk to myself :) That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Your garden is truly lovely at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fern is absolute gorgeous Teresa! And so are the chickens - I love chickens, I wish I had one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting your blog is like a walk in a lovely garden. :) Love all the pics...the booties are so cute, too. :)

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful booties, so pretty. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my hens went broody a while back and wouldn't be tempted off the nesting box, not even when a banana was offered! Lovely pictures of your garden, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, lovely chickens! I so wish I had some of my own. They have great names.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fantastic to have chickens!! I'm so pleased the swimming has helped the blood pressure, keep going Teresa (that's my physio hat talking!)
    Have a great weekend,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you fern. That's one plant I know won't grow in the desert.

    Glad you're able to keep your bp under control with exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your baby booties...have you though about doing a photo tutorial???

    ReplyDelete
  11. teresa, your flowers are beautiful as always, your garden is just so lovely. A baby girl is so wonderful, your friend is very lucky to have you in her life.
    Happy Friday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at this... I can comment as the G.B., but I'm guess it will be gone again in a second. What the heck is going on. Off to get in a ton more comments before it gets me in the sign out looping again. I must have typed my sign in and password 300 times today alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, you get two, since my first long one is gone. Thanks for the linkie, you know I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep blogging- we are here, reading, enjoying chicken pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pics...as usual. :o) I come and lust over your garden pics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teresa, love all your beautiful pic! What beautiful chickens!!! So happy about your BP, hurray for swimming!! Have a great MD weekend. xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous pictures again, I loved the fern and the chickens of course. The little pink booties look so practical. I am having great trouble leaving messages on my Blog Buddies Blogs lately. It is very frustrating. Inthesky x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved your garden pictures, Teresa, and the chickens too. The little booties are very sweet, a lovely gift. Glad you're ok too - keep on swimming it must be working! Have a lovely weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden has some beautiful plants I am very envious. Love the little booties. Glad the blood pressure is 'phenomenal'. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your garden - the scent must be beautiful! Keep on with the swimming. I used to go with my niece once a week but got out of the habit and now haven't been for months. Must get back into it as it is good exercise and we have a good chat and laugh at the same time. Have a lovely weekend. Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)