Friday, December 30, 2011

Blown Down Trees, Floods and *NEW* Yarn! :-)

First off.. before we begin our regular "program" - I just noticed that this is my 250th post for my blog!  I guess that is worth a mention and a celebration!  *WOO HOO*!!  :-)

Remember the story of our walnut tree being blown across the road during a storm the other night?  This is the photo I took of it with my iPhone.  I was standing in the middle of the road, in the downpour, directing traffic and watching the policeman and hubby work on clearing the road.  Hubby used his chain saw to cut the tree into several parts. The cop was wrapping the chain around the tree sections and hubby was dragging them into the pasture with his Kubota tractor.  
On the left, is hubby on the tractor and the lights on the right are the police car headlights. 
What a mess!!  I have asked hubby to save me a section of this wonderful 100 year old walnut tree so we can carve a wooden spoon out of it.. and maybe get a bowl turned out of part of it.  Wouldn't that be neat?? 
Today I called the gym to see if the pool was OPEN.. and it was.. so I headed off in the downpour to go swimming.  On my way back, I stopped in the middle of the Stark Street bridge and took a photo of the river approaching flood stage.  Brown and icky!!  
So.. I drove down into Dabney State Park to get a closer look at the river and this is at the boat launch.. definitely flooded.  I'm glad we live on high ground! :-)
When I got home.. much to my delight.. there was a over-stuffed box from KnitPicks yarn company!!  Ohh.. it's soooOOOoo soft.. and SOoooo bright and colorful!  I can't wait to start something with it.  Hubby said.. "Just what you needed, MORE yarn."  :-)  Here is the warm colors.. coral, orange, gold and bright yellow.
Fuchsia, red, peach and pink.  (not the real color names, but my own) 
The cool colors - green, med green, lime and a lovely aqua. 
Light blue, turquoise, darker aqua and true blue. 
And a partridge in a pear tree... oh..oops.. this color is called "Fairytale".  LOL! 
So, what should I make with this bunch of beautiful-ness?  All I know is that it's made me *happy* and gives me something to look forward to.  


What are your plans for New Years Eve?  We will be continuing a long held tradition of doing absolutely nothing special.  :-)



*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
  *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:* 
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

26 comments:

  1. This post (your 250th!) is full of "Wows". Lots of yarn, lots of water, and that poor tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to see such a nice big tree go down. Glad it didn't hit anyone's home or car!! Love the pretty new yarn. Looks so soft and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, all beautiful, poor tree, but stunning pics as always xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to save some of your old tree! Yikes--I'm not surprised to see the flooding along the Sandy; this weekend's drier (hopefully) weather should help.
    Saturday nothing special planned; Sunday visiting our oldest son:)
    Happy New Year (a bit early)
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, you certainly are having yucky weather but the yarn must certainly have brightened things up for you. I love all those colours and will stay tuned to see what you decide to make. Congrats on your 250th post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your 250th post! It's always a pleasure to read what you are up to.
    Now the story with the walnut tree. You definitely have to safe some wood. Walnut is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad about the tree but a wonderful walnut bowl idea...something as a keepsake
    WOW! what a fabulously colourful stash of yarn, what are you going to make with it?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow 250 posts Teresa - congratulations ! I think the idea of making something from that old tree is just perfect. It sounds like you are having some wild weather, over here it continues to be so mild. We are seeing in the New Year over at my parents with a meal. See you next year ;-)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 250 posts! That yarn is gorgeous. I just heard about Knitpicks the other day. I was actually dreaming of yarn and new projects when I woke up.Lol. Happy New Year Teresa. I am glad I found your blog, you are a wonderful gal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live in a beautiful part of the world, flooding and all. The yarn looks lovely, I wish we could get KPs here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 250 posts, congratulations!! And wow, that yarn is gorgeous! The greens and the blues look stunning, I do miss some of those colours in the Stylecraft Special dk... Is KnitPicks an american yarn? I feel some temptation coming up, lol :-)
    Have a wonderful New Year's Eve and 2012, lovely Teresa! I'm wishing you a happy, healthy and creative year! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walnut wood is my favourite...Hubby could start an Etsy store making Walnut spindles, yarn bowls, spoons...keep him out of mischief you know? I love the Knit Picks, fantastic colours...what ever will you do with it? I will join you in your tradition tonight...I will be doing absolutely nothing special too. I am going to be a Taxi service though for the 'Grumpy Teenager'. All the very very best for 2012. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely idea to have something made out of your walnut tree. What a lovely happy sight all that colourful yarn - look forward to seeing what you make with it. We will be doing absolutely nothing special tonight as well, hubby is working until 7pm then it will be just the two of us (plus kitties of course) cosied up in front of the fire to watch a dvd or something on the tv :-) All the very best for 2012 Teresa love Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teresa, there is quite a bit of beauty in that brown river. You live in such a beautiful area, everyday must be like a little present for you. I love the Yarn you got, such fun colors I feel an amazing blanket coming on, am I right? We are staying home tonight, I hate to go out On New Year's Eve, I will just wait up until my son is home safe. Hugs to you and Dayle and a very Happy New Year to you both.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea! 250! That's quite a milestone! I'm so honored to share a lot of them with you. I'm also glad that you live on high ground. Be safe! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! 250 posts...congratulations!! I think you should do a Giveaway to celebrate :) How about sending each of us Followers (less than 250 mind you) a skein of your new gorgeous yarn??? LOL. Sounds good to me :)

    We live in an area that has many streams and creeks that flow into the Allegheny River here in NW PA so every Spring or when the winter snow thaws, these streams and creeks become bulging and sometimes overflowing. When I saw your snaps I thought I was seeing my area where I live. We, too, live on a hill. My DH often says that if the water ever gets up this high, everyone will be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 250th Blog Day! You inspire me and have linked me to many other creative folk around the world. I am grateful! It will be wonderful to see what you and Dayle make from the walnut tree. The yarn is so dreamy... I just saw a granny square on http://www.purlbee.com/ that is something I want to learn to make and I have yet to start a ripple blanket.... [yes, I know it's your yarn, Teresa (: ] it will be fun to see how your use it! Usually I am cozy at home on New Years Eve, but this year I'm planning to attend an evening worship service then stop at a friend's home to play Bunco. Enjoy your cozy celebration! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year, Teresa and thank you for all your wonderful blog posts this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shame. That was a great shade tree. What a lot of work it was to clear in the middle of the night no less. Now, about that KP yarn. What a perfect way to start the year. I like the partridge color, but you are right....Glad to see you got your swimming in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy new year and 250th blog post! So sad about that big tree - you should definitely make a bowl and spoon from it! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with the yarn. Such beautiful colors!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  21. Teresa instead of a wooded spoon,have you thought of a picture frame/photo frame ?Happy New Year to you ,dayle and all your lovely family.
    Hugs
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year! And happy for 250 blog posts! How I love your yarn, what a wonderful gift for a beginning of the year! How blessing!
    Wishing your new year is as wonderful as you wish!!!
    Much love, LS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year to you and your family Teresa!....So sad though to see the lovely old walnut tree lying there but I think it would be wonderful to make something beautiful from the wood.....and ooh, I am loving your pretty yarn...I really mustn't be tempted!.....
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy happy New Year Teresa! I hope things are good for you over the next twelve months. Thanks so much for your continued visits to my blog (and I WILL be posting silver clay tutorials in the coming weeks)! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved the dramatic pics here....it's like a movie! Your new yarn looks very delicious....can't wait to see what you make next! Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year, Teresa!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, that yarn is gorgeous! I'd be excited by all the project prospects, too. Makes me wish I was handy with needles or a hook, but I've never gotten the hang of it all.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)