Sunday, July 1, 2012

Growing Girls & Vintage Friends

Just three weeks ago I took a photo of a Magnolia flower in bloom near the door to George Washington's home at Mt. Vernon.  Today I crept into a flower bed at a restaurant to take this photo of a similar bloom.  I think I need one of these flowering trees in our farm garden, don't you?
We had our 2 oldest grandsons for a sleepover last night, then joined my best friend from 7th grade, Shirley and her husband John for lunch.  Our son Shawn and his wife Beth joined us too.  We had a great time reminiscing of things over the 50 years of our friendship.  Shirley came to spend the summer with Dayle and I after we were first married when we lived in Milton, Louisiana.  We lived on a bayou, the Vermillion River, and she recalled today that she checked her bed for Water Moccasin snakes before she went to bed.  It's funny what we remember from so long ago.  They have just moved from Seattle to the Portland area and are looking for a home to buy.  I'm so glad to have her closer!
My daughter recently posted this photo of Jenna on Facebook, my first grandchild. She reports that she has a nice light tan.  They joined a swim club, there in Ohio, 2000 miles away from us.. they're enjoying it.
I saw this photo of my youngest granddaughter, Paige, on Facebook today.  It kind of breaks my heart to see how much older she looks.. I haven't seen them for 10 months and it is quite literally is killing me.  I have emailed my daughter to see if she'd like to bring them for a visit.. but if not, I need to get a visit to them planned.  I know the rest of the family would like to see them, too.
I think I need to crochet now.  Thanks for visiting.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

13 comments:

  1. Definitely go crochet. You deserve it. I love those flowers too, and it is so nice that your childhood friend is going to be closer to you. Talk to you soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my hasn't Paige grown and Jenna looks so grown up too ! Doesn't time fly - it doesn't seem like 10 months since your girls moved away but for you, I suppose it seems much longer. Its fun catching up with old friends and I'm glad you had a great time with yours. Look forward to seeing your crochet. Have a nice week. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Teresa, my heart breaks for you. I know how much you are missing your daughter come to and grandchildren. I hope they come to visit you soon!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can soon arrange to spend time with the girls, too, Teresa.
    So glad that you had fun with other members of your family, and long time friends, also. The photo of the magnolia is stunning...the park we lived in over in Milwaukie had some huge magnolia trees, so I bet a magnolia bush/tree would be very happy on your farm!
    Sending you hugs of encouragement...Gracie <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Teresa I really hope they can come and visit! Ten months is a long time...
    And yes, you should have a Magnolia tree in your wonderful garden, it suits you perfectly! :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers and gorgeous girls, Teresa. How quickly they grow and change at that age, their little faces alter so fast, I know how much you must miss them. I do hope you can see them again very soon. A magnolia tree in the garden would be such a pleasure to enjoy year after year and would be perfect with the other wonderful trees and shrubs in your gorgeous garden.
    Wishing you a happy week and lots of lovely crochet time :)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crochet is a great friend when we need to keep busy. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to have your friend nearer now Teresa. Gosh how grown up your little granddaughter is now..I really hope you get to see them soon. It must be so hard with them so far away. Enjoy your crochet time,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first fell in love with the evergreen magnolia in southern California years ago when we were visiting a family friend. I vote 'yes'!
    It is so nice that your long time friend will be closer to you; my life would be much emptier without my best friend of about 25 years:)
    Your granddaughters have grown! I hope your daughter will be able to come for a visit, but if not---GO! You need this visit and so do THEY!
    Blessings,
    Aimee
    PS: Good photo of your grandsons and friends! Water moccasins, huh...I think my southern ancestors must have been very, very brave people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That magnolia is a beauty - almost looks like frosting! Adorable grandkids :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh they have both grown but especially Paige, beautiful girls.
    Isnt't it wonderful catching up with old friends and the laughs you
    can have, very special times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo's as usual. You certainly are talented at photography. I know exactly how you feel about your grandchildren. I haven't seen mine in 3 1/2 months and we're planning a trip in a couple of weeks. I can't stand it anymore either. Crocheting is good. Anything to ease the heartache. I'm praying for you.

    Blessings,

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot believe how much the girls have grown! Holy cow, I hardly recognized Paige. I know it breaks your heart and you miss them terribly. I think maybe a trip to Ohio is in order...just saying....

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)