Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Feast 2014

Hello my precious readers.. I wish I had a table big enough for you all.  :-)  The big day dawned yesterday and Dayle began making his sage bread stuffing and getting the turkey prepared and in the oven by 10 am for a 5 pm dinner.  I cleared the table, we put in another leaf and spread the tablecloth just so.  Then Dayle stood on a chair and handed down our "turkey" dishes we got last year from the cabinet above the fridge.  I set the table for the feast.  


One of the things I love about blogging is when you visit a friend's blog and you see something that sets you on a quest.  Last year I saw a turkey plate on one blog and started researching them and eventually found some on eBay.  They actually come from "Replacements.com" - who not only sell on their own site but do a hopping business on eBay.  We now have a service for 10 - which is how many we can seat at the table.  :-)


The house is filling with the aroma of roasting turkey and the platter is awaiting.


Dayle's turkey emerges from the oven.. he covers it with a tent of foil where it will rest while we quickly put the green bean casserole, corn casserole and candied yams in to bake.


Mike and Gabe helped me by peeling the russet potatoes, I cubed them and put them on to boil.  I whipped the cooked potatoes and added some milk, sour cream, salt, pepper and some garlic cheese sprinkle.


I showed Mike how to make the gravy.. you put the turkey pan on the burner, whisk some flour and water together, add a container of organic chicken stock and the giblets from the turkey that Dayle cooked and chopped in small bits - then you turn it on high and stir, stir, stir.. until it thickens.  Never add salt until it's nearly ready, it may be salty enough from the drippings and stock.


We all gather around the table and I always begin the meal by thanking everyone for coming to celebrate the day with us.  And then.. we pass the food and the ones in the middle serve us the big pans that we can't pass and the feast we've been planning, purchasing and cooking is being enjoyed by all.  Again, everything turned out perfect!  Not an easy task. :-)  The menu was roast turkey, sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, corn casserole and candied yams.. I forgot to photograph Dayle's cranberry sauce.. but it was pretty and yummy.


And the reason for the celebration, our family.  Kristi snapped the photo for me.  She and the boys went to her parent's house for dinner, Travis slept here as he worked graveyard shift the night before and last night too and needed his sleep.  So, he got up a bit before dinner to visit with all of us.  Happily, Kristi and the boys got here right before our dinner was served, so our little guys got to be in the photo.


From left, Beth, son Shawn, Caleb, Dayle, me behind, Hayden, Gabe and Mike (Shawn and Beth's sons) and MY baby.. Travis.  Our daughter Amy called us from Ohio where she was at her in-laws for dinner.  We got to say hi to our two granddaughters.. that was so nice.

And so, we are thankful for our bounty, our family, our cozy old farmhouse, the 5 acres of land that is ours, our health, and all of the things we're grateful for on a daily basis.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

22 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful feast and I love those dishes. Nothing like having family to share the holidays with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous family gathering. And the food looks amazing. We had something very ordinary for tea yesterday, I'm quite envious! I'm intrigued by the green bean casserole, I'm off to try and discover what goes into it. I'm glad you had such a lovely day, enjoy your weekend too Teresa. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dinner, table, and family! All the food looks so good, and that turkey looks right out of a magazine. Well done, you two! Your turkey dishes are neat. I enjoyed seeing everything. Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend, Teresa! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful. What a gorgeous meal and lovely company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me start by saying that is an awesome family photo--love it! I recognize Johnson Brothers dinnerware when I see it! I inherited my mom's and really enjoy using it (mine is their Friendly Village pattern). I'm curious about your corn casserole...
    Have a great weekend--I hear we're in for a change in the weather again.
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you and yours had a good celebration, Teresa! We did, too, although today Jason, Mary, Molly, and Joy went to the doctor and discovered that Jason and Molly have pneumonia, and Mary has asthmatic bronchitis :( Thankfully Joy just has a cold so far. Now on medication we are hopeful those who are ill will soon be well! Have a healthy, happy weekend, please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a lovely day with family. Happy Thanksgiving weekend. And happy holidays. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your celebration looks lovely Teresa. Your menu sounds exactly like ours usually is for Thanksgiving with the exception of corn casserole-we always have my moms jello salad instead. I'm so happy you were able to see most of your kids and grands. Can't wait to see you ladies soon.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dinner! It looks so yummy!
    Great looking family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Teresa, back from staying at my mum's and so loved visiting here and seeing those wonderful Turkey plates and thankyou for sharing and what a fantastic family photo....purely blessed.
    I am thankful my mum is back out of hospital for now xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous table, and such handsome grandboys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Teresa. Your Thanksgiving dinner looked wonderful. A super photograph of you all! Belated greetings. Sorry I've not commented on some posts I've been sooooo busy and we were away . Have read them all though and caught up with all your news and photos. Take care dear friend. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to see what a wonderful time you all had together. Thanksgiving seems such a lovely holiday, such a shame we don't have it here in the UK.

    Your table setting is fabulous!

    Belated Thanksgiving greetings to you and yours.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved seeing your gathering, the food looks amazing. Wouldn't it be fun to have a blooging Thanksgiving where all your blogging freinds gathered to celebrate friendship.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving Teresa - and your meal looked so good. xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh everything looked so yummy. I would love to know how you make the corn casserole, I've only had that once and I love it. I always enjoy seeing your happy family...everyone is always smiling and you really can feel the love that you all have for each other. You truly are blessed sweet friend. :) Wishing you a most lovely day. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving Teresa :-) xxx Hope you and your family had a wonderful time. I wish Thanksgiving had migrated over to the UK instead of Black Friday, people here went a bit bonkers! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family! Btw, I love your turkey dishes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a beautiful family you have...the table and food looked amazing - wishing you a year full of blessings to count at next year's table

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bountiful, Beautiful turkey plates! , blessed blessed blessed.
    I make gravy the same way. I've never added salt....but I do add pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that looks like a wonderful thanksgiving feast my dear ... Thanks for taking us with you on your family celebration. Beautiful turkey plates.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)