Friday, May 27, 2016

Natural White Alpaca Shawl

Hello!  Thanks for dropping by.  I've been working on my alpaca shawl so it will be ready for me to use in my period costume of 1916 to lead the National Anthem with my DAR Chorus at the big 100th Anniversary event to celebrate the dedication of the Historic Columbia River Highway - that is coming up at an alarming speed.  I'm working on the lacy edge.  I need your opinion.


I've put 2 rows of scalloped lace edging and thought it might be "done" - but it doesn't look done to me.  My red shawl's ruffly lace edge is one of it's best features.  Do you think I need a few more rows of lace?  I kind of know the answer.  The good part is I have plenty of yarn to do it.  


I'm kind of creating this as I go, not following a pattern for the lace edge.  I was thinking of doing little loops of chain next with a picot at the bottom of the shell tip.. but that would be a final row.  I might need to do something else next and then that idea.  Thoughts?


I took the photos above in my studio... this is the view from the bank of 3 sash windows looking out at the garden.. there is a French door set that opens to the deck that faces the barn and circular driveway.  I'd say the garden is at it's most lush right now with the rain we've had.


I wanted to show you how full my pot of three different colored Christmas Cactus is doing.  It's had a few blooms here and there, but I think it's putting all of it's energy to put out roots in the new dirt plus new foliage.  I expect next fall to have a big burst of multi-colored blooms.. hopefully.


I thought you might like a Simba update.  For those of you who are new to reading my blog - we've adopted a feral cat who comes to visit a lot.  Kristi has really taken to him even though she's allergic to cats.  She feeds him several times a day.  I was driving down our country road the other day and saw him on the side of the road.. I think he might have many families that he visits.  Kristi got this photo of him napping.. he's taken up sleeping on one of our deck chairs.


I went to the doctor on Wednesday and they did a strep throat test - it was negative.  But the doctor thought that I had a sinus infection and I'm now on antibiotics.  I've had two days of them and truthfully I don't feel much better.  I hope I do soon.  My ribs hurt from coughing, my voice is hoarse and I'm not a happy camper.  I need to get better fast for the big event coming.  We're having a dress rehearsal at the falls this coming Tuesday.  Wish me luck!  I hope you have a fun weekend ahead.  Me?  I'm resting. ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

23 comments:

  1. I can only say that I think the shawl looks really beautiful. I don't have any experience with this type of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawl looks beautiful, perfect for the occasion. Your suggestion for adding another row sounds good, try it and see. Hope you are feeling better soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shawl indeed!! However I know what you mean because the trim is what shows draped across your arms and the full fall of the back of the shawl with a marked trim is always what shows it all off. As you do have extra yarn and I presume time, perhaps one row of chain arches(loops), another row
    of shells into those loops and your final row with picots. Three more rows in all. Just a thought it really does look gorgeous as it is.

    The garden looks really lush to me!!!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. and...sorry to hear you are not feeling well Teresa!

    A :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shawl is gorgeous, it will be just right for your period costume. Your garden is fabulous, green, green, green, I love it. It must be a very peaceful place to sit. I do hope you're on the mend soon, especially as you have your chorus coming up. Take it easy this weekend. Maybe a little manuka honey would help, it has amazing healing and antibacterial properties. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drats I was hoping you would be feeling much better by now. I love the shawl and I agree with you I think you could add more to the border and it would be perfect.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left a comment but it did not appear to go through. Love the shawl, I agree with you on the border. Hope you feel better this weekend Teresa,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl is beautiful as it is to me, but if you have time, follow your vision and see if more rows please you. So sorry you are not really well yet and praying you will be soon. Your garden looks lush. I am enjoying our plants getting fluffier, too :) Simba looks like he feels safe and happy! I'm off to crochet on Molly's birthday gift art bag...faster xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Teresa - I think your shawl is gorgeous. Your garden is so lush and green. Take care and get well.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shawl is beautiful and will finish off your 1916 outfit just right. I'm not sure about more edging. I'm never good at deciding things like that. Just do what feels right and I'm sure it will be great. I'm sorry you are feeling so badly but glad you went to the doctor. Hope you get better before your big meeting.
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. That shawl is fabulous Teresa....sorry you unwell....I had some shocking cough thing for 5 weeks in April and 3 lots of antibiotic and I rarely get sick...HIDEOUS....wishing you the best and thanks for visiting my blog again xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Teresa. I'm sure sorry you're not feeling better yet. I know how important this event is for you. I hope those antibiotic's start working soon. I think your Shawl is gorgeous the way it is. But, if you think it needs more, I agree with what Amanda says about adding the rows of shells and loops and then the picot edging. Love the picture of Simba. He looks like one happy kitty!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl is lovely but I agree a bit more "vintage" lace style on the edge? Get well soon Teresa...most things just need time. Good to see Simba is comfy! It's bank holiday weekend here so time for some gardening and catching up with family xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your shawl looks really gorgeous as it is....but if you visualise it with more edging then maybe you should add it! I am sorry you are still not well...hope the antibiotics do the trick in the next few days. Happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your shawl is beautiful Teresa and will be perfect for the occasion. Gosh your garden sure does look lush - you must get lots of rain. The only thing that green here is the grass in my front courtyard and that's artificial grass !! Hope you're feeling better soon and enjoy your weekend. xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Teresa - unsure re adding to shawl - to me it looks lovely as it is but would to see a comparison. So sorry you are still poorly. I have an awful cough etc. Very painful now everywhere when I cough, I think I've pulled/strained something coughing :-( feel awful as well. Let's hop we are both fighting fit soon. Hope you can make your 'event' I know it means a lot. DH and I are supposed to be at a special lunch tomorrow for a very dear friend who is celebrating his 80th birthday. It is highly unlikely I will be able to go - unless there is a miracle overnight. Take care Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even if you are sick you whrite nice and super posts, thank you. Take care of you, it's not funy. Courage.
    Big hugs Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear. Many are coughing and sneezing and feeling YUCk in our area too.
    You need to feel better asap! I love your shawl and think any additional edging would be distracting to its simple understated beauty. Done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the shawl, as it is, but I also understand having vision. Go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the idea of another chain edge on your shawl with the picot at the ends... would really make it look even more "lacy"! I wish I could see the red one to see what it looks like. So sorry you are still not feeling well... usually takes about 3 days for the antibiotics to kick in, and if they don't, you usually will need something stronger. I go through this every few years.. they give you the weakest one and usually it doesn't work and you have to end up taking a second course of a stronger one. I would INSIST on a stronger one if in 5 days you aren't feeling better. That's my experience anyway. Sure hope you feel well enough for all of your festivities coming up! Glad Simba is alive and well too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your shawl is beautiful as is! Hope you feel better soon. Pat xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sorry to hear you are still coughing. Hope that the weekend's rest will have you feeling much better. I think your shawl looks great the way it is. The yarn is lovely and doesn't require much else but sounds kinda like you've already made up your mind to go with a more lacy look. Even if Simba is an outdoor kitty, at least he knows he has a safe place to rest and there will always be food. That's very important. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh girlfriend, I feel for you, doing such battle with this buy you have had! Hope the meds knock it out fast!!! The shawl is lovely. Perfect for a period piece, and then for whenever you desire. The color will allow for all sorts of wearing time.
    The blooms at your place are all fabulous. Here, not so much. Really odd weather we are having. May Gray, but also, so much cooler than our usual!!
    Feel better my friend. Miss you.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)