Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Thanks and Baby Blanket Edging

Our 8 year old 3rd grader grandson brought this amazing artwork home yesterday.  My heart melted.  :-)  The tablecloth is being laundered to put on fresh tomorrow morning at which time I will request that my tall sons get the Thanksgiving china out of the cabinet above the fridge, and I'll set the table for the dinner.  Dayle will be up early making his sage bread stuffing and getting the 28 lb. turkey in the oven.  I will make the green bean casserole, candied yams and mashed potatoes.  I'm the gravy master which is accomplished when the turkey is done.  Then voila! A FEAST!  


I'm working on the edging of the baby blanket for our son's friend's expected baby.  Being that it's a boy, I'm doing a simple border.  I've done double crochet so far.. I'm thinking one more row of picot?  Any suggestions?


I hope there is not too much pink in this blanket for a boy!


I'm totally sold on this shell pattern for blankets.  It's lacy but tight, easy to make, warm and pretty.  I added the pattern to the bottom of this post in case you'd like it.



New growth on the Hibiscus.. love.


I do love my crocheted rocks.  I am not sure where best to display them.  One on a desk as a paperweight would be lovely.  We used to have them on the windowsill but the new windows don't leave as big of a ledge.   Would it be weird to hang them on a wall?  Ideas?


Well.. I have to get some low carb lunch in me and pack my swim bag and head to the pool.  

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I am sending my wishes for a wonderful day full of good food, friends and/or family and loving fellowship.  I give my thanks for my warm home, family, grandkids, friends and the ability to still volunteer and be of service to my community. I'm also thankful for you, my dear readers - the best part of doing this blog is the friends I've made from near and far, circling the globe.  :-)   What are you thankful for?

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

-------------------------------------------------------------


I am sure someone else has written a pattern similar somewhere – but I made this up as I went along and I love how it looks like rows of shells.

I used worsted weight yarn and a size G hook.  You could use finer yarn and smaller hooks or heavier yarn and a bigger hook if you’d like.

I chain as long a chain as I want my blanket to be wide – I don’t count and it always works out.  But if you want, you can chain in 3s until the width you want.  For a baby blanket you could do 90 chains.

Once you have the chain as wide as you want – then chain 2 more – turn and do 3 double crochets into the 2rd chain from the hook, skip one chain, do one single crochet in the next chain, skip one and do 3 double crochets – and on across.

When you do the last 3 dc shell and the last sc – chain 3 and turn, do 1 dc in the base of the first chain, sk 1 ch, sc, sk 1 ch, do 3 dc in sc of last row, or the “ditch” between the shells on the first row.  Continue on until the end where you’ll do 2 dc in the last stitch of the shell below. 

On that 2nd row, the 2 double crochets on the beginning and the end are what I call a “half shell”.  Each row is either all shells or one that starts and ends with a “half shell”.

3rd row, chain one, turn, do 3 double crochet in sc or "ditch" of last row between shells.

Just keep going until the blanket is the size you want.  You can do a square or a rectangle depending on it’s use.  Baby blankets are nice in squares while lap blankets are nice in rectangles.

You can leave it as is or you can do shells around the whole blanket when done to make it look a little prettier.

--> Copyright by Teresa Kasner, May 24, 2017

17 comments:

  1. Since you asked...I like the trim of the baby blanket as it is, but I'm sure it will look good with more if you want. How about displaying the rocks on the coffee table? I am thanking the Lord for growing in knowing Him even when life seems hard sometimes and I don't feel so thankful :) and I am thankful for what you are thankful for, too : ) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Thanksgiving card, adorable. Tall sons are useful things aren't they. I have one now, and I make use of him wherever possible. I always like the sound of your green bean casserole, I remember when you posted the recipe. That shell pattern is my favourite as well I think, the texture is just gorgeous. I'm guessing it's the same on the reverse, which is something else I like. I hope you have a lovely and happy Thanksgiving Teresa. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa . I do like that blanket so much. The card is great, love cards the kids make. Your feast for Thanksgiving sounds as delicious as ever. Happy Thanksgiving dear Teresa - have a lovely time. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are all set for a happy time tomorrow. Enjoy your family time, something I’m always thankful for. Love the card and the blanket. B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy thanks giving Teresa and to all of your family xoxo Love the turkey card made by grandy ♥♥ Beautiful baby blanket and no not too much pink lovely xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is the classic 6'2" and I use him for all sorts of tall things! lol I only have a 12 pound turkey to roast tomorrow and it sounds so small, compared to yours! lol Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the blanket as it is but Picot edge will look great too. I have my crocheted rocks in the trailer at the lake but I think they would be a great conversation piece on a side table or coffee table.
    Although we have no kids nearby for Thanksgiving, I'm thankful that we have good friends that have invited us to share the day with them. I am thankful for the gift of my salvation and that I know I am loved even when times aren't so great.
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday Teresa.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving Teresa and to all your lovely family too. That turkey sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your colours and pattern, what yarn did you use? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your blanket is lovely and the colour is fine for a little boy. Loved the card from the turkey. Also your stones - I reckon they'd look good displayed as they are in your photo - all together somewhere in your house. I saved a pebble from where we celebrated my grandson's first birthday (he turned 3 last week) - but haven't made a crochet cover for it as yet. Are there any patterns available or do you just 'wing it' ? Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. xox

    ReplyDelete

  11. ¡Hello Teresa!

    Congratulations, I like your artisan work, home and magical art that has much merit.
    I send you a hug from the other side of the world, Espaรฑa.
    A kiss is very very happy.



    ¡Hola Teresa!

    Muchas felicidades, me gusta tu trabajo artesano, ese Arte casero y mรกgico que tiene mucho mรฉrito.
    Te mando un abrazo desde este otro lado del mundo, Espaรฑa.
    Un beso y se muy muy feliz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you know I am thankful for you! Love that blanket. I think another row of DC would be perfect. All babies need lots of color, there is definitely not too much pink. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely turkey card! And lovely baby blanket..so soft and colourful. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am the gravy maker here too. Im thankful for the ability to volunteer at the barn. Like you I've found my way to give and enjoy my volunteer life too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I laughed at the card...it's cute! We eating a ham dinner this evening. Just 3 of us since we had family fun Sat. Nice blanket and not to worry about the pink. There's lots of boyish colors in there. I'm thankful for my family, friends, a job, cars that work, and a warm cozy house to live in. My fall leaves tablecloth is ready to be laid out!! Have a great weekend my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic pictorial~tutorial here for crocheting stones, https://www.purlsoho.com/create/2010/07/18/margaret-oomens-little-urchin-crochet-covered-sea-stones/
    Just highlight and copy to your web browser.
    Yours are very nice too, Teresa! Love the baby blanket & hat and the hibiscus is doing well.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)