... and you step into the old farmhouse, the aroma of beef simmering on the stove with onions, carrots and golden potatoes washes over you... then you pull the golden honey wheat rolls from the oven..... Our son Shawn & his wife Beth and their boys Michael and Gabriel came for a visit and brought birthday cake for Dayle since they missed his birthday while we were at the beach. Dayle did the cooking and baking today and I packed away the Halloween decor and brought out the turkeys! I must say the beef stew was PERFECT and the rolls absolutely divine.
We had a really nice visit after dinner and they brought a German Chocolate cake for dessert.
Here is the recipe
DAYLE'S HONEY WHEAT BREAD
1 pkg yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ cup warm water
1 can evaporated milk
¼ cup warm water
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup honey
2 tsp. salt
1 ½ cup wheat flour
3 ½ cup bread flour (approx.)
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional)
1. In small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in ½ cup warm water.
2. In mixer, combine milk, ¼ cup water, butter, honey, salt and wheat flour. Add yeast mixture, egg yolk & 1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional).
3. Add bread flour until mixer can't mix it anymore then knead using more flour for 6-10 minutes to achieve satiny texture.
4. Place dough in oiled bowl and let rise until doubled.
5. Punch down and divide in two. Roll into loaf shape, put in 2 bread pans, then brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise until above pan about 1 1/2 inch. Bake 23 minutes at 375 degrees.
Thanks for visiting.. ((hugs)) Teresa