Friday, May 3, 2013

Portland Women's Forum Re-Dedication

Yesterday was a big day for the members of the Portland Women's Forum.  It was our Spring Bus Tour and also the re-dedication of the re-purposed drinking fountain-to-monument that was installed in 1970.  It was replaced several years ago with an ADA (American's with Disabilities Act) approved fountain.  The beautiful old rock fountain laid on it's side in a State Parks shop yard ever since... and it held the beautiful bronze plaque that celebrated Gertrude Glutsch Jensen who was the first woman to make efforts to protect the Columbia River Gorge.  There were speeches and presentations and unveilings.. :-)
After the ceremony we had our annual group photo. With so many cameras taking photos, it was hard to get everyone looking at the right photographer and have their eyes open at the same time. Gabriel Weiss, the nice young man who did the stonework is on the far left.  LOL!  Funny story.. the wind was blowing and gusting to 30 mph and my new hat was blowing off my head, which was not good as I had a hatpin through it under my hair clip and that hurt!  So, this one guy pulled out of his pocket some black elastic and he tied a loop around the hat then tied another loop from it under my chin, which held it down for the ceremony.  :-)
The president surprised me with this plaque for my efforts on getting the monument back "home" in the park. 
 Me and the monument.  And a tied down hat.  
Below is Gertude Glutsch Jensen - an amazing woman.  The inscription on the plaque is:
Gertrude Glutsch Jensen -- Chairman, Columbia River Gorge Commission -- 1953 - 1969
Mrs. Jensen’s Dedicated Efforts to Safeguard the Grandeur of the Great Gorge of the Columbia River,  Helped to Create an Official State Commission to Preserve, Develop and Protect the Recreation, Scenic and Historic Areas of God’s Handiwork.  Her 20 years as a Leader of Portland Women’s Forum Activities in this Field is Living Testimony of Her Great Contribution and is hereby honored.
The Portland Women’s Forum - 1970

The view of the gorge and the monument.. this is what we protect.
After the ceremony we headed to Crestview Manor for lunch and a tour of the building and grounds.  This is the manor from the back that looks over the gorge. 
This is the view from the dining room down the river towards Portland, Oregon. 
Once again the lunch was delicious.  Turkey croissant sandwiches with cream cheese and orange marmalade to spread on them, veggies and dip, chips, homemade broccoli cheese soup, and beverages.
The ladies of PWF turned over the management of the park to the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department many years ago and we have a fantastic relationship with these guys who work out of Rooster Rock State Park.  They brought the fountain back up for the rock mason, Gabriel Weiss, to install and they take great care of "our" park. Kevin Price on the left is the District Manager of 71 parks!  His right hand man is Mark Stevensen (center), and his "left hand man" is Glen Littrell.  
My lunch.. oh my it was good. 
And the State Parks guys even brought two cakes for dessert, a chocolate one and this colorful one!  
It was a great day.  Tomorrow we're off on a day long bus tour of the "Fruit Loop" in Hood River for the Friends of Multnomah Falls.  I'll take my camera.  Have a great weekend!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


21 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Keep on the good job, the vieuw on the river is awesome. Like your colour choice of clothes, and your hat!! groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful and your hat is lovely! Congrats on your plaque:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lovely Teresa, first of all you look smashing in your new hat, and all the wonderful work you do for your organizations is so special. I am so glad they made you that lovely plaque, you deserve it.
    Hugs to you,.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! Looks like you and Ms. Judith have great taste in hats ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to be honored with that plaque. I know you deserve it. I love the color you are wearing too, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hat held on by emergency-elastic story caused me to chuckle, but when you got to the "this is what we protect..." photos, tears came to my eyes and are here yet as I type to you. Thank you for protecting, creating and celebrating beauty around us and for being the beautiful person you are..........I think you must wear your new hat and meet me at Chariteas for tea sometime soon...hmmmm I better go looking for a hat to wear :-)
    Love with hugs from Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Teresa and congratulations o your plaque which is so well deserved.Have been looking at the previous post of your hat and it is quite delightful and so suits you. Spectacular view of the gorge. Lunch looked delish!!!! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is a beautiful picture of the Gorge! You are lovely in your hat and how clever of the gentleman to use elastic to keep it on. Who carries black elastic in their pockets???? The plaque is a great honor for you and your hard work. It looks like a fantastic time was had by all, especially lunch!

    I look forward to tomorrows 'fruit loop". The weather is cooperating nicely for all of your outside activities. Very rare indeed. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. First things first...you look absolutely beautiful in your new hat, second blue is surely your color and third, congrats on the plaque you received, an award you so deserve for protecting such a beautiful place!
    Love to you,
    Shari!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the story of your hat and that park is beautiful! I was thinking, I've been to Vista House before but I don't think I've ever been to this park. I am just going to have to remedy that someday...
    Ah, hope you are enjoying the Fruit Loop--love that drive:)
    Blessings,
    Aimee
    PS: Congrats on your plaque!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice event. Your hat looks terrific and I'm glad you were able to keep it on in that wind. The lunch looks delicious. Congratulations on your plaque, what a wonderful honor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to you Teresa! Thanks to positive people like you, nature is preserved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big Happy Congrats Teresa ! Love that everyone has such lovely hats !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful occasion. Congratulations to everyone involved. That lunch sure does look good - I feel hungry just looking at it. The photos of the gorge look beautiful, as always. Have a lovely weekend Teresa. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow congratulations my dear friend... That was a wonderful event and such a great dinner. You look wonderful... So classy and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Portland Women's Forum State Park. I've been there many times with my camera to capture the fantastic Gorge views. Great work on preserving such a wonderful treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How nice to be honored!!! I love the hat!
    : ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely reward for all your dedication. The Gorge is beautiful and I can see why you would want to preserve and protect it. The hat looks wonderful on you but you are killing me with all this yummy food!! Now I need to go eat something! The pictures are making me so hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many congratulations Teresa, and what a wonderful day you had.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You always have so much going on. Looks like it was a great day. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Teresa, you are such a gem! I love your posts and all the photos of the beautiful area where you live. How wonderful that your group AND YOU brought back that monument. It was meant to be there and I'm so glad you were able to put it back in it's rightful place. Mt Hood is so gorgeous. I would dearly love to visit there someday. Have a wonderful week.

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)