Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Feast was enjoyed by all

We paced ourselves.. a lot of effort goes into hosting a Thanksgiving Feast!  Lists are made, shopping is done, more shopping for things you forgot the first time, housekeeping is done over many days.. then the cooking begins.  Dayle is our turkey and dressing master.  He got a 22 lb. bird and yesterday he made his dressing, homemade orange cranberry dressing, and his honey wheat rolls.  Today he stuffed the bird and put it in the oven - dinner was set to occur at 5 pm.  I put the leaves in the table, laid the fresh tablecloth, got the crystal goblets out, fabric napkins and silverware - candlesticks with beeswax candles I rolled myself.  Then I peeled and boiled fresh yams, and when done I added grated orange peel & squeezed some of the orange over them, butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans - and covered with mini-marshmallows.  I put together the green bean and onion bake and peeled the big Russet potatoes, boiled them, then whipped them with milk and butter.


The kids arrived and we began to enjoy visiting.  While Dayle sliced turkey I made the gravy.  


Then.... as we sat there waiting to begin I asked for everyone's attention and told them how happy I was they were here.  The sad part was our youngest son Travis, his wife and two baby boys weren't able to join us as they'd come down with a cold and didn't want to expose the rest of us to their illness.  Our daughter Amy brought 2 homemade pumpkin pies for dessert.


I hope those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving enjoyed a nice dinner with friends and/or family.  And to those of you who visit from around the world - I'm looking forward to us all sharing Christmas together!


Peace and Love -- ((hugs)) Teresa

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like such a wonderful time. I'm sorry your grandbabies were sick.

    You have a lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful it all sounds to me and hope the sick ones recover very swiftly. thankyou for sharing a lovely time. oh my all that fantastic food, sounds like what my xmas will be at a holiday place with my mob and mr batwings as well.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect vision of family enjoying each others company. Hope you had a wonderful time. Nicky x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful picture of your feast and family! I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving! I hope the little ones feel better soon! Now it's on to Christmas! I just can't wait to see your Christmas Decor..I may have to steal some ideas.

    Erin.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)