Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Family Times and Amish Country

I'm enjoying spending time with my daughter and girls who live in Ohio.  Amy made peanut butter cookies for us Saturday afternoon.  It's been nice to hang out with my girls who live 3,000 miles away from Oregon and we only get to see each other about once a year.  


Paige wanted to help her mom flatten the cookies with a fork before baking.


The cookies turned out delish.. she used the recipe from Fannie Farmer's cookbook.


Amy made Spicy Shrimp Linguini for us for dinner.  Yum!  She sauteed garlic and onions and a bit of red pepper flakes in olive oil, then add the shrimp to warm them, then toss with cooked linguini.  Easy and delish!


Paige asked me to crochet her a scarf.. I thought a cowl would be fun.. she looks so cute in it!  Jenna found a pattern for a little bunny in a crochet book her mom got when we went to Hobby Lobby and I'm working on that now.  


I just used Lucy at Attic24 blog's pattern for a "Granny Stripe".  Quick and easy.


The big news on Sunday is that Paige lost her very first tooth!


Paige wanted that tooth out so bad that a few days before I arrived she asked her mom for a pliers and tried to pull it out.. then figured out that that hurt!  :-)


Yesterday, on Monday, we packed up and headed north to Amish country for a mini vacay.  We are in Berlin, Ohio - and I found out from the locals that it's pronounced "BURR-lun" - not "burr-LIN".  Jay stayed at home to work.  Amy found this cool log cabin for us and the girls were very excited to sleep in a loft.  Here is Amy and Jenna saying hi for me.


There is a deck on the cabin with these wonderful handmade rockers to sit in and listen to the birds.


It has a vaulted ceiling with this gorgeous rock fireplace and a gas fire.


Here are the girls as we head out for some adventuring and finding the restaurant for dinner that had been recommended to us.  The Farmstead Restaurant.


We were driving around the countryside trying to find a bakery for some rolls for breakfast and they were closed but we saw this man on a cart in front of this lovely old farmhouse.


After some getting lost we found the restaurant and it was big and nice inside with quilts hung all over for art.  LOVE it!


Amy and I had "broasted" chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans.  The girls had chicken strips.  I must say, it's the juiciest, tenderest chicken I've ever had and it's locally grown organic chicken!


After dinner we looked for a place for me to buy a few necessities and found a Dollar General and look what was parked outside?


I walked very quietly to get this photo above and then walked to the edge of the parking lot to get a shot of this windmill over the countryside.


I then turned and got this shot of the horse and buggy with the afternoon sun shining on it.  The horse turned and looked at me a few times but I was very quite but did coo to the horse.. to let it know I wasn't going to bother it.


Today we're off to lunch at a place an Amish woman told me was "Where the locals eat"!  Then we are going on a tour.  I should learn a LOT more to share with you and hopefully get some good photos of the countryside.  

Today is my dear husband's and my anniversary!  Happy day Dayle and I miss you and am looking forward to seeing you in a week.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

20 comments:

  1. How fun! We used to go to a wonderful Amish store and also a cheese factory in Pennsylvania. This was more than 30 years ago, and the Amish girls used to look a little askance at my blue jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to visit Amish Country, I studied the Amish as part of my first degree.

    A very Happy Anniversary to you and Dayle, I am sure you will have a wonderful celebration when you get back home.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you're having a wonderful time! I've been to Amish country in Pennsylvania several times and I think they have amazing food in their restaurants. If you can find shoo-fly pie while you're there, I recommend it highly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun-fun-fun! Love the pictures of the countryside and the horse and buggies. That food looks wonderful. That cabin is fabulous. Enjoy your stay and cuddle by the fire with the girls...maybe tell a scary story by firelight or candlelight. They'll never forget it. You can look some up online if you don't know any. I used to love that when I was little! Maybe I'm weird! That's right...scare them to death, Grammy! Ha-ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaPpY aNnIvErSaRy Teresa and Dayle!!!!!

    Teresa I adore this post, from the pictures of your girls and the happiness on their faces to the Amish horse and buggy. You KNOW I think the quilts in the restaurant are beautiful and I can't wait to hear about your tour.
    It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Enjoy every moment my friend. I'm so happy for your happiness.

    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are having a really wonderful time. I'm always fascinated to see Amish country, I think the Amish way of life sounds very peaceful and natural. Treading softly on the land. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with your family. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are anywhere near the Der Dutchman, I would HIGHLY recommend eating there. Their food is amazing and their bakery is to die for! There are also several quaint shops in the vicinity of the restaurant as well as Heini's cheese factory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family time is always so fun! You take the best pictures. Just catching up on your blog today. It's always enjoyable to read and your pictures are making me hungry! Lol! :) Happy Anniversary!

    Take care my friend,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, how amazing. I'd love to see Amish country, but then again seeing your girls is even more special. I'd eat all the cookies up and my dream house would have a raised deck and a rocker just like your cabin. You got some wonderful pictures of the horses too. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely post. So much fun seeing all the beautiful country side. :) Keep having fun sweet friend, and safe travels, too. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a refreshing post……I love Amish buggies. Yummy chicken and Peanut butter cookies…you are having a SWEET sweet time. Fun images of the kids. Love the cowl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary Teresa and Dayle ♥ What a lovely time you are having and all your girls are beautiful and neat you were there for Paige's first tooth falling out ☺ That chicken looks very delish indeed.
    Love coming here to see your travel pics and love the horse and cart xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Teresa it all seems so nice and fun just you and the girls. So many adventures and a vacay in a vacay, log cabin and all. So happy for you. Happy Anniversary! Enjoy the rest of your time. Thinking of you, xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you are enjoying your trip. I love Amish country! And now I want to make some peanut butter cookies. Those look so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is always a pleasure to see your family meetings and things you do during them :) Loved every single photo!
    The log cabin is fab! And the horse with the carriage looks like from some Western movie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun for you and thanks for sharing your photos! Happy Anniversary to you and Dayle. Years ago I was apart from my husband since he was on business somewhere else and I was out to someone's anniversary party with my kids. It felt weird being apart and not even seeing him at home that night! But it's ok....have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful cabin you are all staying in Teresa. Enjoy your precious girly time, you look as though you are having a wonderful time. Happy Anniversary too x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much to take it, firstly those cookies look and sound sooo yummy. In fact all the food in this post has made my tummy start grumbling. I am so glad that little miss lost her tooth whilst you were there to share in her excitement :)
    The cowl is lovely, I bet it will be cherished even more because you made it x
    The cabin is absolutely stunning, a perfect place to get some rest and have some fun. The horse and buggy pics are great, I always see Amish life on TV but I bet it was really interesting to witness it first hand xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy anniversary!
    What a wonderful trip! It looks so beautiful there. The girls all look so happy to see grandma again. I can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)