Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Pacific Ocean and Gray Sea

Hello my friends.. thanks for stopping in to join in our week by the sea.  My blog friend Gracie drove down on Monday so we joined her for lunch at Mo's Famous Clam Chowder at Taft.  The Siletz Bay is beautiful, and has this set of rocks with little trees on them that I'm fascinated by.


Mo's is an institution at the Oregon Coast.. she first started a tiny hole-in-the-wall cafe down in Newport, Oregon.  The locals, fishermen and travelers crowded in around family style tables and Mo kept them happy with buttery and fresh made clam chowder and fish and chips.  Now there are several Mo's up and down the coast.



After a satisfying lunch and good times visiting, we parted ways so Gracie could go check in to her seaside hotel room and we headed back to our caravan.  We would meet again the following day for visiting here at the caravan, lunch and a bit of adventuring.



As we left Mo's I snapped this image of fishermen in the bay trying to catch salmon.



We enjoyed a peaceful evening with a pastel sunset and the sound of the ocean waves.


I lit a candle in my rusty bucket jack-o-lantern and a spice scented pillar candle.  I do enjoy decorating my table for the season when we're in our caravan - it makes it so homey.


Yesterday dawned with gray everywhere... but we don't mind, we love it here no matter what the weather.  Gracie arrived for a visit in our caravan and she knitted and I crocheted and we chatted with Dayle while the surf pounded outside our door.  Then we headed to Newport, we wanted to show Gracie one of our favorite restaurants, Georgie's Grill.


Gracie eats so healthfully!  She had grilled salmon on a baby spinach salad with bacon, nuts, tomatoes with a vinaigrette dressing.  



I am naughty, I had beer battered prawns and chips.  :-)  YUM!



After lunch we took Gracie on a tour - to see Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, she got a nice shot of it, then I showed her a great place to get a super shot of Yaquina Bay Bridge, then showed her the Coast Guard Station as you enter the Historic Bay Front, I showed her where Mo's started and all the fish packing plants on the bayside and the galleries, shops, cafes, salt water taffy shops, etc. on the other side.  Then I took her down to the fishing boat harbor to show her how to get a great shot of the bridge with boats in it.  I was so busy showing things to Gracie that I didn't get any photos of my own..lol.. but I will get to them this week.  We bid Gracie adieu and she headed home.  Dayle and I headed towards "home", but swung in to see Yaquina Head Lighthouse.. and I was dismayed to see this.....  but hopefully by the next time we visit there will be a pretty new paint job on the place.



The sea was wild yesterday!



Shooting back towards Newport, Oregon.



This was a pretty rock formation with trees on top.



Driving north we pulled into the parking area at Depoe Bay to watch the wild waves.



The seagulls are always hoping for a treat.


Sorry, we have no goodies for you.. forgive us?



We pulled into a park and noticed a large contingent of seagulls that were taking a break on the grass.  It's hard work flying around in the storms!



Finally tucked back into our cozy caravan, a last shot of the ocean, no flaming sunset tonight!


Dayle did some shopping at the grocery store and bought me this beautiful potted plant of chrysanthemum, it brings pleasure to me.  I like that we can plant it in the farm garden.



Buddy has made a nest on a stack of my crocheted pillows so he can keep an eye on birds and other dogs in the park.  Yesterday I rode with Gracie from the restaurant and Dayle told me that Buddy had a huge hissy fit when he drove away leaving me there.  He whined, cried and yipped for most of the time I was missing.  Isn't that cute?  He was happy when I rejoined them.  My loving dog.



Well, I better get moving, my sister Denise is arriving soon and so is my friend Shirley and her husband John - we're trying out a new restaurant called Local Ocean Seafood on the Newport Bay Front.  Then some visiting and adventuring!  More later.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

23 comments:

  1. Towards the end, your photo of the trees on the rock outcropping with the ocean to the right really evoked the windiness from the sea. We are so blessed to live in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a happy post... Full of treats and good times. You surely know how to enjoy life my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a fun adventure. :) Ahhh Buddy is too adorable. Looking forward to more fun and adventures. ((hugs)) to you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful visit with Gracie some stunning photos of such a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa....seing you and Gracie together is so fun. Such a wonderful landscape. I am enamored with those trees! Love your pup missing you...
    Beatles our cat cried when we leave....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What atmospheric photos Teresa, I loved this post. You are so warm and cozy in you little hideaway by the sea...how wonderful...enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing that wild sea for a change! Your table does look so pretty and cozy. That Dayle is so sweet bringing you flowers! I love that picture of Buddy...it's a great one. His fur looks so golden in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you're having a great time Teresa. I think that wall on the side of Mo's is fabulous - it certainly doesn't leave anything to the imagination as to what type of restaurant it is and where its situated. Gracie sounds like a beautiful friend oh and by the way I adore that scarf you're weaving in the picture of the two of you. Always enjoy seeing your table decorations - I don't know anybody else who does that and its a delight to see. My goodness those seas look rough - is it always like that? I love the picture of the ocean with the pathway in the foreground - very different. Buddy is a real cutie - give him a cuddle from me. xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a great time with Gracie, and those photos of the ocean make me yearn to go to the coast.

    Your caravan sounds incredible, I love the way you have so many home comforts.

    Have a lovely evening, Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post. I enjoyed every minute of my visit:) I love New Port! The last time that we were there it was late March and our daughter was taking a surfing class each day. She would return positively blue, she was so cold and that's with a complete wet suit. Mo's is our favorite and that grilled salmon photo is making my mouth water. Nothing bets fresh salmon :)
    Oh, one more thing. The scarf that you are wearing in your photo, did you make it? It is absolutely gorgeous.
    Well, thanks for letting me tag along on your adventure.
    Happy trails,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful time you are having. Super photo of you and Gracie. I would have been naughty like you Teresa and had beer battered prawns and chips - oh yes I did on Monday !!! :-) I love to see the sea wild. Oregon is so beautiful and I still live in hope that DH will get there one day. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful seeing you and Gracie together in the picture and loved hearing of the fun you had and the great meals too ☺ The ocean is such a great place to van near and we hope to do it again soon, although our next trip is with just a car and going on a boat to Tassie (tasmania) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing the crashing waves and grey skies. I can almost smell the salt spray from here! And the wind-bent trees are lovely.

    That shawl you're wearing looks an awful lot like the one Grace has been crocheting....

    I would have chosen the beer-batter prawns too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stormy seas and fun with Gracie. Wonderful times on the coast. I'm so glad you girls had fun and Dayle enjoyed the visit too. How sweet of him to bring you flowers. Thank you for all of the pictures. I've never heard of the two restaurants but Mo's and all of the Bayfront activities bring back lots of good memories. And now you have more visitors arriving. How fun!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yaquina head lighthouse was looking dingy on the outside when we were there about three weeks ago. Time for a facelift, per your photo of it. Glad you had a good time. We are at Kam Meng, just north of Newport, just past Agatr beach golf course, as you are headed towards Newport. Great Chinese food if you like that style of food. Have a good time with your visitots and your coastal stsy. I love it over there, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun you are having! Your meal looked awesome! It made me hungry! So glad that Gracie could come and have some fun with you too. The tour sounded perfect! Hope each day brings more fun memories for you. Buddy looks quite comfy there on the pillows!!!
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. You captured our great time together perfectly, Teresa, but neither one of us got a photo of Dayle! Thanks again for your kindness and generosity. The two of you and Buddy helped me make such good memories. I love your photos!!! I will have to post some of the photos we took together yesterday as soon as I can process them! Hugs from Gray Sea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post!!! I absolutely love your scarf Teresa!!! Hope the rest of your time is filled with tons of fun!!!
    Love
    AMarie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely area and beautiful photos! I think I would have gone for the grilled salmon; it looks so delicious. Very nice photo of you and Gracie, and neat to see the lighthouse and the waves!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So gray Teresa, but you had so much yummy food with Gracie and the Birthday boy! The ocean and skies were so intense, it made me want to be cozy in your caravan with buddy! But I'm like you, I love to be by the ocean in any weather and I'm sure it will be getting better soon. Enjoy and Boo to you two, xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great shots of the coast. Your scarf is terrific, the colors bursting! Did you crochet or knit it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you're having such a nice time out there. I love that photo of you and Gracie, you both look great. Your scarf is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you had a wonderful visit with Gracie. I love the picture of the two of you and I want to reach in an give you both a big hug.
    Have fun,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)