Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day Parade, Portland, Oregon

Wow, what a day!!  My Portland Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution participated in the Veteran's Day Parade in the Hollywood District.  First up was decorating our cars - hubby actually *won* a 2002 Ford Thunderbird in a raffle - so that's what we drove.  Then the group photo!  21 people in our group. (one guy was not a member of our group).  

Below is a photo of a band and some motorcyclists.
 Our group marching along carrying our banner.
 
Below is a photo our daughter took of us going by in the parade.  She brought our 2 little granddaughters to view the parade, it was so neat for us grandparents to see them waving on the side!!

Below is our group having lunch together after the parade.
Here is Grandpa holding his two little granddaughters - wearing the new black Stetson hat that I got him for Christmas last year.  It's a 1st Air Cavalry hat - he was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and was shot while flying as a scout.  We're very proud of his service and so glad he made it back to become a father and grandfather.
After lunch he took me to Michaels and helped me pick out 20 skeins of yummy yarn that was on sale, with a 20% off coupon over the sale price! Woo hoo!
This wool is more beautiful than the photo shows and VERY soft.  Love it!
I got Vanna's Choice, and some really neat sparkly stuff and some Red Heart.  What a haul!
Then we wound our way home down the beautiful Sandy River gorge - I took this photo using my "Hipstamatic" app on my iPhone.  Really artsy photos can be created with this app.

Well, now we're very tired and are enjoying watching the parade on all the local TV news shows!  Thanks for coming by for a visit.  ((hugs)) Teresa

8 comments:

  1. Love the last pic. I am so envious of you...I have always wanted to live where you are, but have never been able to get there. It's very beautiful countryside. And any day is a good day when you can go purchase 20 skeins! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great day. I miss parades and beautiful drives in the car. I am making your Queen Anne's scarf and I must admit I am obsessed. It is easy enough for me as a new crocher, but really looks great. I am using Noro silk garden a skein I had on hand. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Have a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful day! Tell your man thanks for his service. Where would we be without men like him? I shudder to think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks so much for sharing those wonderful pics. And who would have thought a Vietnam Vet would be so good at choosing yarn!lol So glad he came home to you safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Love the yarn and thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hookin~ I just became a "follower" on your site! :-) You should come visit Oregon for sure!

    Melba, I read your comment to my husband and it meant a lot to him. Thanks!

    Nana, I read your comment to hubby and he says to tell you he's a "Renaissance Man".

    Clara, thanks and glad you like my yarn stash!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith, I'm so glad you had that Noro skein of silk instead of the scratchy Noro wool I had! :-) I can't wait to see your scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids grandmother is a DAR. I would love for my daughters to be a part of it but as grandma is not speaking to us.......sigh. Lovely photos!!! I would so love to move out of the desert and to some place beautiful and green!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)