Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Veterans Day Parade

Hello, thanks for popping in for a visit.  We were up early yesterday to participate in the Veterans Day Parade in Portland's Hollywood District with my Portland Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  We were lucky to have a sunny day, but it was cold and VERY windy, in fact there were trees blowing down all over town!  Dayle donned his 1st Cavalry hat that I got him a few years ago.  The guy in the middle is wearing an American Revolution uniform portraying a Continental soldier, and on the right is my sister Roberta's husband Ted, dressed as a frontiersman in leather.


We decorated my new car, but we stopped short of using duct tape to put more decorations on it.. :-)  The wind was flipping our string of buntings up.. 


I designed and ordered this magnetic sign for Dayle a few years ago.  He got a lot of "Thank you for your service!" greetings along the parade route.


These two mounted police officers posed for me! :-)


These ladies from the Patriot Pin Ups were right ahead of us in the parade.


I always organize a group photo, here is our group, 3 DAR groups from the area, the SAR (Sons of the American Revolution) and Dayle, my veteran.


The SAR guys, aren't they handsome?


More people in the parade.  The bad part of being IN the parade is that you don't get to see the rest of the marchers and vehicles.  



This is the Portland Chapter group - the intrepid ones that participate in the parade!


Every year on this corner is a group of pre-school children, they are learning patriotism from a young age!


I got this photo while Dayle steered as we rounded a corner - my best vantage point for getting the rest of the parade ahead.  Our group included the ivory white Mustang ahead and leading are all the red-jacketed chapter members carrying the banner.


I love this old theater, which gave the community it's name.  The Hollywood District.



3 of Dayle's friends messaged him before the parade and asked him to join them for breakfast and then to watch the parade.  He told them he couldn't join them as he was going to be IN the parade.  It was fun to see them waving to us!  They were his friends that he worked with at the Union Pacific Railroad - Mike, Bob and Mike.  :-)


This is the ribbon we were given for participating in the parade.  I have quite a collection of them now!


This is my Dad when he was a young Marine.  He went in on the first wave at Iwo Jima and was there for 3 weeks.  Approx. 240 of his company went in and only 17 walked out, uninjured.  A terrible war there.  He was a loving father and I miss him a lot.


This is my husband Dayle after he returned from Vietnam, where he was shot in the femur while flying a scout helicopter.  He was in traction for months and then in a whole body cast after that.  We are so thankful he made it home ok.  He's been our hero.


I hope you take some time to think of your family who have served in the military - and give thanks for them.  I'm off to swim with Gracie in a few minutes!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

18 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a wonderful parade, celebrating our freedom and expressing thanks to those who served/serve to help us be free! Thanks for being a part of it and giving us some glimpses of it,
    Teresa :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post. I love your town! Seems as though you were blessed as I have been, to be surrounded by brave men who served this great country. Please thank them for their service from me and my family. :) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the photos of the parade. Looks like an impressive event. Very nice shots of your dad and husband in their uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice event. My dad is SAR but I don't think he's ever been in a parade. He would enjoy it, though. I loved seeing Dayle and your father in uniform, those are great treasures. Thank Dayle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet wonderful post. I LOVE the mounted police. Love horses. It was a great Veteran's day

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing photos of the veterans day parade. Looks like fun! I went to the one in Albany for years with my family. About 4 years ago or so, I actually was in the parade with PGR riders at the beginning of the parade. That was fun. Hope you stay warm where you are in the gorge area..supposed to be cold there. It's near freezing here already, took a bunch of plants into the garage after I got home from work tonight! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do my dear friend I appreciate and I have an immense respect for the work they did and I'm forever thankful for all that Dayle ( for example) suffered to keep as safe and preserve our freedom. My husband was in the Air Force for 10 years and I'm grateful every day he didn't get hurt. Tell Dayle "Thank you so very much for his service" for me. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is fabulous Teresa, doing a catchup on the blogs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful Teresa! Such a neat thing to do! Your Dad and Dayle, so handsome in their uniforms! My father in law was a LT. Colonel in the AF. He was navigator and flew many missions, where so many didn't come home. So thankful for all of our men and women in the armed forces!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic parade, love the costumes. My father was called up towards the end of WW2 so didn't see active service overseas, but helped to de-fuse ammunition over here in the UK. He was in a reserved occupation (engineering) but as the war went on even he and his colleagues got the call. My grandfather served in WW1, he was gassed in the trenches, and lost a lung. My uncle was killed in the Korean war, he was just 21. So 11 November is always a very moving day for us.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking me on your parade Teresa, what fun and how much effort everyone made to dress up. I love that Hollywood cinema building. Your Dad and Dayle were such handsome young men, great photos. War is such a waste isn't it but thank goodness most of our loved ones made it back safely. Happy Thursday x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful parade, a great tribute. My husband and I both served in the Army, I did 7 years until I married , my husband did 22 years service.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic parade. Such handsome men you have in your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fab parade Teresa, a great way to mark the bravery of service-men and women. Love the cinema frontage, it's like stepping back in time :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing way to spend the day Teresa. Give Dayle a special hug from me.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful! Our community celebrates many days and season with parades but not one on Veteran's Day... perhaps it's time to start!
    ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post Teresa. Thank Dayle for his service for me.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing Teresa, your men look so handsome.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)