Monday, January 16, 2017

Snow Drifts and Pink Pussy Cat Hat Project

Hello my friends!  How was your weekend?  We burrowed in like bears and stayed by the fire.  We're having non-stop East Wind, you would not believe the roar of it.. reminds me of how the ocean sounds during a storm.  The winds have blown the snow into drifts, very sculptural I might add.  This is the little pagoda we brought home from Dayle's parents back yard when their house was to be sold.  To the right of it is our creek.. you don't see it?  It's buried in snow!


See below the pagoda?  That's the POND.. somewhere under the snow.  Oh how I hope our Koi make it through this.  


At least we've had nice blue skies over the last several days.  It has not warmed up at all though.  It's 22 deg. F outside.  They are forecasting a warm up and rain to come.. LOTS of rain.. and flooding is a big worry.


My art nouveau lady garden statue with a bird on top.. cute.


Looking out through our little forest.


Dayle has been feeding the wild birds on the deck and we noticed one of the woodland squirrels has taken up being a bird.  I was so pleased with how good this shot came out using my big Lumix.  Notice his tail?  The wind is blowing it that way!


Last week I heard about a movement afoot.  The Women's March.  There is a huge one planned for Washington DC and many others around the country and even in other countries!  There is even one in Portland, Oregon and my younger sister Denise is marching in it.  I'm so proud of her.  I'd be by her side except for my arthritic knees.  Read the MISSION of the Women's March.  I cannot march but I can and WILL support this march and it's mission.  I can knit a Pink Pussyhat!  Read about it here Pussyhat Project.  Before you get all indignant about the name.. please learn why it's called that.. deal?  


The Project aims to Provide the people of the Women's March a means to make a unique collective visual statement which will help activists be better heard.  My blog friend Meredith is making 6 hats!  One for her SIL and 5 to hand out to hatless marchers in WA DC at the march there!  My hero!  I did good doing one!  LOL!


Here is my finished hat.. kinda cute, huh?  I will proudly wear this out and about and also in support of the Women's March on Jan. 21.  More things are happening regarding the President- Elect (PE).  He's saying that he will ban the media from the White House.  He refused to take a question from a well-respected CNN reporter at his news conference, shouting him down and calling CNN a "fake news" source.  He fired the announcer who's done all the inaugurations for the last 11 presidents.  On the weekend where we're to honor Martin Luther King Jr. - Trump blasts Rep. John Lewis, a respected Civil Rights supporter when Mr. Lewis is choosing not to attend the inauguration.  In fact, a growing list of politicians are planning not to attend.  I personally will not be watching the inauguration but plan for Dayle and I to take a day to drive up the Columbia River Gorge.  I am sorry if this information upsets any of my readers, but I also have been thanked from readers across the globe for giving them news that they do not hear so I will continue to express my concerns here.  


Changing the subject.. :-).. a photo of my Hibiscus.


And I just had to show you this great photo taken by Friends of Multnomah Falls volunteer Terry Hill of the USFS Site Manager Matt Ramich in Oneonta Gorge!!  Isn't this amazing?


I hope you are enjoying your world where you are!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 


19 comments:

  1. Your weather looks very similar to ours. We haven't been above freezing in over a month now, but that is supposed to change tomorrow. Heavy rains and temperatures in the low 40s! They're worried about flooding here too, for good reason when we have 4 foot of snow in our front yard. But by the weekend it's supposed to be back below freezing and more snow. Yuck. I hope all of your woodland animals and fish survive this brutal cold. This is been quite the winter hasn't it? Our family is all getting iced in, in the Midwest. I am spending a lot of time in prayer for our new administration and part of that prayer is that the hate will stop and all will work together for the good of our country. I hope you have a lovely day my friend. Stay warm and cozy.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it is not as wild as yours has been we have had steady winds for days that have been keeping our chimes clanging which is fortunately not an unpleasant sound. I have not seen the drifting over here like you all are experiencing and your photos show so beautifully. The clarity of your squirrel photo is great! Thanks for sharing the photo near the falls, too. Amazing! Your did a fine job knitting your hat! I hope the Women's March encourages progress in problem solving efforts in creating and upholding legislation that benefits all who pursue liberty and happiness. After being rescued from my car with its flat tire yesterday I am off to get the car with new tires on it today. Hope you all are warm and safe and happy! xx Love Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, Im bringing my knitted Pussy hat to my friend Anne tomorrow. She's taking it to the Chicago march. Im with you, lets make a statement as strong women. We need some sunshine here. It is very gray and icy today. I stayed in. I did master the toe kitchener today so that's a bright spot. I love the image you shared of Matt Ramich

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are having some serious weather. I do hope your Koi made it through alright. I am in total support of your pussyhat project. You go girl! I am not a supporter of our PE. It just seems things are already not going well. Stay warm and be careful if you venture outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snow pictures look great although I'm sure living with all that snow and ice isn't always fun. Well done with your hat, I'm in the UK and I find it helpful being kept up to date in these troubled times. I really don't know what will happen in the long run, it's so worrying. Take care, Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so envious of your beautiful, clear, bright photos - wish I could capture ones like yours. I find it amazing that your koi manage to survive after the snow and ice. I'm trying to work out if you're using Knit Picks yarn for your pretty pink pussycat hat? I bought some from the UK recently and love it. Things are still the same here in our part of the world - hot hot and hotter !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All that snow and ice, it really does make for a beautiful photo, although I am certainly not envious. Hope your koi fish are alright underneath it all. Trump certainly seems to be causing a stir all over the world, I pray that things will not be as bad as we all imagine. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had to drive into portland a few times this week only to discover the I-205 freeway s mostly clear but as soon as you exit - it's washboard ice at the best and an entire sheet of ice all over Washington Street. Man. Thankfully, the balmy Canbyland sun has mostly cleared our roads. Waiting to see what happens Tuesday - tomorrow. Keep your knitting fire going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the cold weather to go away. And the furnace motor is on the fritz at our house. Phil attempted to fix it but it's so noisy but then again there's heat. May have to shut it off tonight if it's too loud. At least there's space heaters but don't want pipes to freeze! I like the squirrel photo...bushy, windy tail. We didn't get wind but we did sun but still things are frozen! Hope there's not alot of flooding! Take care and stay warm. My legs are COLD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me brrr it looks cold at yours Teresa. Keep warm! It's turned chilly here again but nothing like you. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, if I could march I would, but there are apparently marches internationally as well as across the country. Herr trumpf is NOT popular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cat hat. And I too appreciate your take on what's happening in your government these days. WE are very cold here in Newfoundland Canada. Lots of snow --- ALWAYS snow --- and below zero temperatures. Still, I accept it and know that eventually, we'll see the sun again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your photos and your hat turned out great! Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have followed you a long time, quietly visiting your site to see what you're up to and looking for beautiful crochet inspiration. I'm a nearby neighbor on the other side of the river, and a bit further west, where it is warmer by a couple of degrees and definitely not as affected by the EAST WIND! As I wait out the cold and potential for freezing rain, I popped in today to see how you're faring. Just the title of your post made my heart swell for continued love and admiration. You are a gem, a jewel, and a warm beacon of light in a sometimes dark world. We're all better TOGETHER. There's enough on this earth to hurt us: disease and disaster. Let us all grow up, grow wise, grow strong, and grow kind! Love you Teresa. Stay safe in the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved seeing your bright and snowy pictures! Your hat is lovely, and your knitting is just as beautifully done as your crochet is! Keep warm and cosy Teresa.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Teresa. I know that where you've had a lot of snow you will think I'm nuts but I would love SOME SNOW!!!! There was a tiny sprinkling last week but nothing to mention at all really. :-(
    Love the idea of the march and the hats.
    I continue to be amazed at people who support your President Elect - over here - seemingly ignoring what he has said/says/does etc. It is a worry indeed and I hope that at the end of the day everything will work out - but it is a great concern to many of us. I understand your concerns. Take care, Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, Teresa! Gosh, you sure did get a lot of snow; our rains chased away the cold temps here at last and took the blue skies away also. Sure hope DT gets the message but it seems he hears/sees only what he wants to. We have an all day choir workshop on Saturday, but my thoughts will be with those marchers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing photo taken by one of your colleagues at the falls! I hope that your fishes will be alright under all of that snow, as long as they can get air I am sure they will be alright. Your little Chinese lantern is beautiful, a lovely reminder of family too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Teresa, I am loving the hat photos! You know I am with you all the way. I am so proud of you stepping up and speaking out. So many more of us need to do the same, if we lose readers so be it. They can't handle the truth of what is happening.

    Your photos are just gorgeous. The snow is dazzling and that last photo just sums it all up. I am not watching any news on Friday. I also heard you are not supposed to purchase anything on Friday either as a means of protest.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)