Monday, September 18, 2017

Here Comes the Rain and Caleb's Hat

The rain has come, none too soon.. it's cleaning up the atmosphere and hopefully will help to suppress the fire.  Which has grown to 48,387 with 32% containment.  They are now worried about landslides and mudslides from the rain falling on burned cliff-sides where the vegetation holds the dirt and rocks in place.  But I'm so happy to have the rain!  All of our trees, bushes, plants and grass are parched.  I am pretty sure we've lost a lot of plants due to the drought we've had for 3 months.


Dayle cleaned off the deck and washed it off in preparation for the stain/oil treatment.  The rain is supposed to fall for 4 days and then the sun is forecast to return - which is perfect for the deck treatment plans.  We will be putting trim back on the bottoms of the porch posts after the deck is done.



After hosing down the deck he filled the pond with more water and fed the fish.  The old deck was starting to feel dangerous with some rotten pieces, this new one feels so secure and strong, it's so nice.



I sat with him and we chatted and I enjoyed seeing the new koi in the pond.


I finished the camouflage hat for Caleb!  I used the base pattern for a beanie then winged it on the ear flaps and braided trim pieces.  It fits him like it was made just for him.. wait.. it was!  :-)



Side view.. I have to laugh as the camouflage works so well you can't see the pompom I made for the top!  :-)


The back... the camo also helps to conceal the join section.  Dayle took the boys to school this morning as Travis and Kristi are in Hawaii, Maui, to be exact.  Lucky kids!  He said Caleb wore his new hat to school.  Bless his heart.



To illustrate my story on the fire, this photo was taken by Charlie Riter on Thursday evening from Wind Mountain on the Washington side of the Columbia River.  I borrowed this from Facebook.  


I need to make a hat for Hayden now.  We'll go "shopping" for yarn in my massive stash.  He wants colorful stripes.  I'll get some more rows on the baby blanket that I'm working on until we find his yarn.  I hope you're having a good day!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

15 comments:

  1. So, so glad to hear you will be getting rain. Please, let it be enough to help with the fires! That is a wonderful hat you made - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain. Glorious rain! We got some too, last night and this morning. The first rain in 93 days! I'm so happy and the air is so clear today. Praying for the landslides now. I heard about that on the news. Love the hat that you made. The pom-poms are camouflaged just perfectly.
    I hope you enjoy your day. I'm cuddled up in a blanket this afternoon doing some crocheting. This morning was full of doctors appointments, so it's nice to relax. And a blanket sure feels nice for a change.
    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are finally getting some rain. I had to look for that pom pom in the first photo! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the rain wonderful...even a clap of thunder over here and Mt. Hood got some snow! I do hope that it can douse the fire and that there won't be flash floods. I had a relaxing swim before agitator-splashers joined me for the last half hour. I love that Caleb wore his great camo hat to school today and that you are making more progress on completing and enjoying the deck and the new koi <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat is fabulous Teresa and boy that is one awesome decking. Can I come over and have a cuppa with you out on the deck?? Thank goodness some rain in there for you, it is raining almost non stop in my part of Oz, sending back to you now. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fire is devastating and to think of how it started! So happy to hear you'll get some much needed rain. I love the hat. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad the rain has arrived Teresa and I hope it helps supress the fire. What a stressful time this has been for you. Your new decking looks wonderful...what a lovely place to sit out on.Love the hat! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad of the rain. The air was so fresh. We'll get sun in a few days to give you some good deck drying days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so thrilled that you now have rain and more forecast. Our prayers were answered. Love the deck, its looking amazing. We are hoping for no rain so that we can finish painting the outside of the cottage, we are almost finished, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you finally got rain. Your new deck is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness it is raining, I hope it rains and rains and rains so that whole fire gets put out. Love the hat, great job Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anything that helps end those fires! I love your deck. The whole place looks so quaint and comfortable. Happy hat knitting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurrah for the rain! Our trees and plants are so happy. What a great hat. It's fun to make things for the GK, isn't it? Oh, and thanks for the nice comments on my shawl; it made me a bit crazy by the time I was done with it but all the tinking was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Teresa. Hope the rain works on the fires, but that there are no floods etc. Great hat!!!! Your decking looks fab. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you finally have refreshing rain Teresa! Wonderful for the plants and trees and to damp down the fires. Your hat for Caleb is amazing....how clever you are. It really suits him! Enjoy your week. xox

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)