Saturday, November 2, 2013

Autumn at Multnomah Falls

I had a meeting at Multnomah Falls yesterday and it's gorgeous there right now.. the Maples are gold and orange and there were lots of visitors enjoying the waterfall.  I snapped a few photos after the meeting.


The meeting was a committee from our Board of Directors that meets with the USFS Site Manager to discuss what projects we'd like to accomplish in 2014.  My request is that we look at getting some of the trees trimmed a bit as they are closing in the view there of the falls from the plaza by the lodge.  We also plan to put new flooring behind the visitor information counter and in the USFS office.  


I had to walk up towards the falls to get close enough to get a shot, since the trees are closing in on the view.. walking back down I thought I'd share a shot of the other side of Multnomah Creek, the beautiful cliff wall with it's fluorescent lime green mosses and lichen and gold and orange maple leaves.


The lodge really shines in the Fall when the maples are gold and orange behind it and the mosses are glowing and moist.  The Visitors Center is on the bottom left with all the doors.  Did you know the lodge almost burned down in 1991?  I was the Executive Director of Vista House at the time and was invited to the fire camp at Rooster Rock State Park for the debriefing given by the fire chiefs and USFS for me to share with the staff and volunteers at Vista House.  It was a scary time, the fire crept down within feet of the cedar roof - which had been sprayed with fire retardant foam.  


As FOMF volunteers, we have parking passes to use the USFS parking spot just over the creek.  This is a shot of the falls from there.


Our little guys dressed for Halloween.


My daughter Amy in Ohio sent this shot of her husband and two girls and their neighbors after they returned home from trick-or-treating.. all drenched with rain.  :-)  Jenna far left and Paige on the right.  Her husband Jay in on the right.


My son Shawn and his wife Beth drove down to a family wedding in Los Angeles last weekend.  Our grandsons Michael (tallest) and Gabriel dressed for the wedding.  Wow, they look nice!


Today I'm going to pack up the Halloween decor and put out a few turkeys.  I'll show you on my next post.  Enjoy your weekend!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

17 comments:

  1. Wow! the falls look gorgeous this time of the year. Not that they didn't look nice the rest of the year, but these are my favorite! I just love the Fall!
    Hugs....Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos of the falls. You are so active in your community and I think that's wonderful. I hope to do things like that someday when my kids are a little older. I'm glad the grandchildren had a fun Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet when you go out with your camera that you don't know where to point it first. Such beautiful scenery. It must be nice to be able to enjoy it frequently. We do live in such a beautiful country. Our landscape now is of the harvested dried up corn and soy bean fields. We had rain and wind and so everything is wet and the leaves are all over the place. I got my new John Deere bagger for my riding mower 2 weeks ago. I made up my mind I was not going to kill myself raking leaves or riding over them a million times to mulch them up. Yeah, there will be the bags to empty, but from where it stands now that is a lot less work.
    It is cold and wet here, and for about 30 seconds the sun came out. That is a dreary Ohio Saturday. Hoping tomorrow is sunny. The mums on the front porch need planting. One always forgets that when they are buying them, lol
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The falls are gorgeous, and the stone building and the fall colors. You are right to suggest trimming some of the trees that are encroaching on that magnificent view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures of the Falls my Friend, it must take your breath away to see such gorgeous views. All the Grand kids are looking like they are having a great time. I know it was raining something fierce in Ohio. My son called me on the way home from his evening class so I could wish him Happy Birthday, the wind was howling so much into his phone I could not hear him.

    The girls looks like they had a great time even if hey are all wet.
    hugs to you Teresa,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there yesterday too! I went hiking on the Oneonta Trail and stopped by Mult. falls on the way home to get a latte and use the bathroom. Yep, it's a beautiful time in the Gorge (but when isn't it?) I plan to go back tomorrow and photograph some more waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous photos again Teresa.and such lovely photos of all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love photos of the falls at any time but these are especially pretty. The golden lights and colors are beautiful. We've been raking all week long and today the wind is howling and it doesn't look as though we've picked up any leaves. The yard is completely covered again. Your girls are beautiful. Wet, but beautiful! And the boys are so handsome in their suits. Enjoy the weekend my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Multnomah Falls. I did get a few fall pics when we were there a few weeks ago. I always like to get a photo of 2nd fall below bridge, which I did this time. Almost makes me feel like I'm gonna fall over when I see that shot. I will post it tomorrow, hopefully. I'm sure you enjoy working at some beautiful scenic spots in our beautiful state. I just raked leaves today and worked on apples....dehydrating and applesauce cooking as I type. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is beautiful in photos. I bet it's breathtaking in real life. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Falls in the Fall....soooo lovely, and so good to see all your Grands looking happy, even the drenched girls :) Thanks for posting, Teresa! Rose is a week old today and is doing well and we are all working on establishing new routines to coordinate with her needs :)
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous place, no matter what season it is! Your little guys look so happy all dressed up! The bigger boys are so hansome all dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! It is so very pretty there by the falls and lodge! Just love all the blending of the fall colors! What a beautiful place to volunteer at!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The autumnal colours are spectacular Teresa and the vivid greens of the moss almost shine. Now that Halloween is over it really is the count down to Christmas for us over here ;0) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The falls look beautiful at this time of the year and I agree with you, it would be an improvement if the trees were trimmed back just a little. Your grandsons are indeed very handsome. xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love your pictures of the falls. It looks so wonderfully peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Falls lok beautiful Teresa. DH and I are still discussing a visit to Oregon and to see the falls. Cannot decide the best season. What would you advise? Your grandchildren are all so lovely. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)