Friday, January 9, 2015

Chasing a Cotton Candy Mountain

We've had several sunny days lately and Mt. Hood has been parading itself in pink frothy frocks.  So, on Wednesday after swimming, Gracie and I drove up to Jonsrud Point to get a few photos.  We got there right before sunset and my first close up is pure white snow at the top.  The colors began to change right in front of my eyes, blues, greens, purples, rosy pinks...


Zooming in to capture the snowy top of the mountain.


Looking closer at the side of the mountain.


A closer look at the Sandy River rushing by way below.


As the sun sinks lower, the mountain begins to glow pink.


I stood at the observation point with a gaggle of other photographers, some with tripods and big cameras.  This was the apex of color and you can see the colors at the base start to pale.


My hair was wet under my beret and I was glad that it was time to leave.. :-)  It was COLD!  Goodbye my mountain, for now.. see you again soon!


Yesterday was busy.. we had our Portland Women's Forum meeting and then my sister Denise and I headed out into the East Wind gusting at 40-50 mph to Multnomah Falls to volunteer in the Visitors Center.  It was so cold and windy that I did not venture up to the viewing plaza to get any photos.  Instead I started a diagonal knitted wash cloth in Golden Heather 100% organic cotton from KnitPicks.  This yarn is so soft and wonderful!



GRANDMA'S KNITTED WASH CLOTH

Cast on 4 stitches  (using size 7, 8 or 9 needles)

knit 1 row 

knit 2nd row

3rd row, k2, yo (yarn over), k2 

Next row, k2, yo, k to end of row 

Continue to repeat the [k2, yo, k until end of row] until you have a total of 40 (for dish cloth or 50 for face cloth) sts on the needle (or more for a bigger cloth)

To begin the decreasing rows --

Next row, k1, k2Tog, yo, k2Tog, k to end of row 

Continue to do the [k1, k2Tog, yo, k2Tog, k to end of row], decreasing each row until you have 5 stitches are left on the needle 

Next row, k2, k2Tog, k1. 

Bind off the 4 sts.
====================

I didn't think I would be able to start guinea pig #2 while answering questions, with all the counting and pattern reading.  Well, Gracie won't be joining me for swimming as she has some things to do.. so now I have to talk myself into going alone.  But it's so warm and comfortable at home.. hmmm.. :-)
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

23 comments:

  1. Magical photos ... Thank you for sharing. I hope you made the right decision. Ummm warm sounds lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Teresa! I love your yarn, what a cheerful color. And those mountain shots are beautiful, much more color there than I would have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these beautiful pictures....a real cotton candy mountain, such gorgeous colours. Love your new yarn, you find such lovely soft textured ones. Happy weekend, Teresa!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are so lovely. :) I really adore the knitted wash cloth. Is it a pattern you've written? I am in a knitting frame of mind lately, so when I saw the picture of the knitting needles, it made me smile. Wishing you a lovely day sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I have added it to my library of patterns. :)

      Delete
  5. What beautiful photos, the different colours that you have captured are quite magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos Teresa, such glorious colours. Enjoy the weekend, swim or no swim! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wonderful pictures and me here in OZ found it very cooling as has been mega HOT here....got to love our different times of the year xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sweet Teresa, Your photos are so beautiful, they almost don't look real! Your mountain is just breathtaking. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the US, but I know you love and enjoy it all so much. Thanks for sharing the pattern for the face cloth. I may try sometime, looks fun and easy work for times that you just want to make something....... Have a great weekend, xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the stunning photos of your mountain Teresa.
    Have a great weekend.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now I am wondering...did she or didn't she swim today :-) I enjoyed seeing our mountain through your lens! Bravo for staying out long enough to get those neat shots, Teresa!! I love the color of your dishcloth and appreciate the directions of how to end the pattern. I have been ending with four stitches before binding off and it never looks quite right to me, so I will have to try this with the dishcloth I have nearly finished. Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful Mt. Hood. You captured it so well Teresa. It's such a pretty mountain, although I know it can be dangerous as well. Your dishcloth is lovely. That's very "fallish" color. :-) We finally had some sunshine here today for the first time in a long while. It's been fog, fog, fog since we recieved our snow last weekend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many pretties ... Pretty mountain.... Pretty pictures ... Pretty washcloth. I just love your post my dear friend. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mountain is incredibly beautiful. Love those afternoon color changes. I've been working up some small golden things, too, very bright and cheery color for a washcloth. Warm wishes for a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photos of your mountain are so beautiful. It is chilly here, well for us that is and all I want to do is stay inside even though the sun is out. I am going to make myself go out for a walk later, I have been sitting at my computer way too much lately.
    Have a great weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mt Hood looked beautiful here yesterday. I can see it as I head thru town here. I saw it out by the tulip farm as well. Got a shot of it on my cell phone cuz that was only one I had with me. I usually don't carry my other one, especially if I am going shopping. Your photos are lovely. We are finally out of the dense fog as of Fri. Good to see the sun again, even if it was cool!!! Have a good weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picture of Mt. Hood! I so miss the PNW. Thank you for sharing the pattern. Think I"ll make one tonight. What size needles did you use? I bet they are delightful as face cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally spaced out when I read the pattern and asked for the needle size! Got it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a big fluffy icecream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are so pretty. I remember after the mountain blew. My brother-in-law is a pilot so we rented a small plane and flew over the crater. It was awesome and an adventure that I will never forget :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, your mountain is so beautiful. When we visited Spain I took so many photos at twilight of the "blush of the snow clad Sierra Nevada" - oh boy I have got the song "Granada" in my head now!!!!

    I love the yarn you are using, super colour!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photographs of the mountain are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)