Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bamboo, Fish, Fire, Cookbook & Garland

I love bamboo.  I fell in love with it when I was 18 and living in Hawaii and a bunch of us young free spirits (hippies) climbed down into a volcano crater for a "love in".  We traversed down into the big meadow of the crater through a massive timber bamboo forest.  Lots of us were there and we all made music and danced about and had a lovely time.  It was quite beautiful and memorable.  It was our statement - "Love Not War" during the Vietnam war.  I've been anti-war my whole life.

So, here on the farm I have, over the years, found and purchased 5 different varieties of "clumping bamboo" - which means it is not the "running" variety which can spread badly.  The one below is a Golden Bamboo.. and you can see why as the sun illuminates the golden leaves, plus the canes are golden.


This one is called "Blue Fountain Bamboo" as when the canes are new there is a blue cast to them.



This one is called Bambusa multiplex "Willowy" and has arching canes that look like weeping willow branches.



This one is called "Dwarf Variegated Bamboo" and Dayle just cut this clump down to the ground as it was looking rather scraggly.  I didn't show the Black Bamboo as I did in one of my recent posts.



One of our little new koi is braver than the other two and it has been swimming with the big boy.  See him?



He has a big black marking behind his orange face.  What would you name him?  I have forgotten the name of my big one!


Here is the little one.


Can you believe the difference in size?  Dayle told me he saw the other two little koi in the "hide-y hole" on the side of the pond - he said he saw two little noses there.  I wonder when they'll come out and swim?  I will be on the look out.



When Dayle was cutting down the dwarf bamboo he found a hummingbird nest and I asked him to give it to me.  I placed in on a branch in the bonsai tree on our deck railing to take a photo.  I am going to bring it inside, I have a few more nests in my old kitchen queen cabinet.  



Dayle spent two days working out how to make a base for our new outdoor fireplace.  He found several items that would work right here on the farm.  3 pier blocks and one cinder block for the base and 4 cement pavers.  Then after he cut down the little bamboo (see the mound behind him?) and dug down in the soil to place the blocks and then the pavers on top.



Ta-dah!


He bolted on the pretty little legs and maneuvered the extremely heavy cast iron stove into place.


The he hefted the pizza oven part on top...



Then the chimney part on top of that.. and at the very top is a little cap with a knob that closes up the top.  You take it off when you have a fire going.


And finally.. FINALLY.. Dayle started a little fire in it to season the cast iron so that it's safe to bake pizzas in soon.  He started with this small fire and we'll make bigger ones tonight and each night until it's settled in.



I have Susan Branch's blog on my side bar and it's quite wonderful.  She just published a 30th anniversary edition of her wonderful cookbook, so I ordered one.



I must tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed perusing the book after it was delivered and am looking forward to trying some of the recipes.  Her artwork though the book is delightful!



She's a wonderful writer and artist!


Look at that wonderful watercolor of her kitchen!  I do recommend adding this to your cookbook collection.  :-)



I am about half done with my Attic24 flower garland project.  It's been fun and I look forward to having this across our TV cabinet.  I just strung these up temporarily so I could figure out how many I will need to make to cover the width of this.  I think I need to make 5 more of the big ones and 7 more little flowers.  I must say this project has really helped pass the time during our confinement.  :-)


As I was laying awake this morning before arising, it occurred to me that having this blog has also given me purpose during this time of staying home for weeks.  So, thank you for coming to visit and some extra special heartfelt gratitude to those of you who take the time to leave a comment.  To me it's your response to what I put out to you.  And it's important to me.  

*T*H*A*N*K* * *Y*O*U*!*!*!* 

((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

17 comments:

  1. I like your bamboo. That is something I haven't tried to grow. I won't be able to plant anything until the first weekend in May. That is KY's official "plant date" with the danger of frost past. Looking forward to getting some flowers and tomatoes in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like both you and Dayle are nesting and have lots of projects during your time at home. I enjoyed the bamboo tour and watching Dayle put together your new fireplace. Your garland is lovely too. I've always enjoyed Susan Branches artwork. It's such a whimsical style of art and it makes me happy to see it.
    I'm wishing the two of you a lovely day and that you will both stay well and healthy.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Dayle are certainly keeping busy. Love your new fireplace, Dayle did a great job setting it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Teresa, happy to be a regular who so enjoys the beauty you share with us. I love your Koi! And I love the fireplace. WOW. The bamboo Hippie hike is a riot!! I can see that girl in her wedding gown and wonderful flowers in her hair climbing down into a volcano!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Bamboo tour, Teresa...and the story about dancing in a volcano crater in HI! It is interesting to see the new fireplace come together, the fish settle in, Branch's beautiful book, and your lovely garland taking shape as well. Over here some red Azalea bushes have burst into bloom, some Dogwood trees are full of pretty pink blossoms and my hanging Fuchsia plant has survived winter on my patio and is creating flower buds! I knit another inch on a preemie blanket this morning.🧶((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hai Teresa, I am from India and a great fan of your blog and really look forward to reading them regularly.

    I love your Koi and the bamboo varieties. Stay safe and take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with your new fireplace! It is gorgeous Teresa. And I can't wait till you can make pizza in it!!

    I never knew there were so many varieties of bamboo! We have a lot at the back edge of our woods. Fletch planted it as a screen. I hope your little koi survive the evil Heron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful blog, Teresa, and I enjoy each of your posts! Your property is so lovely and you have really used every bit of your land to create such a nice environment for you to enjoy. So glad you share it with us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Teresa,

    I have enjoyed you blog for several months. I also enjoy trying all the blogs you list on the side. I have never been to your part of the US and had no idea the Columbia River area is so gorgeous. Thank you for all your good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Teresa, I do enjoy your colorful blog posts!! Your farm is lovely, especially in the Spring. 💖 I am a lurker but please know that I am reading each one with a smile on my face. I, also love Lucy! I am looking forward to doing the garland soon. I am working on a twin size blanket and also a king size quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Teresa from Arizona! I enjoyed seeing your new additions to the pond of all ponds. Beautiful! This link is a safe way (for the birds) to keep the flying predators away from your Koi. It worked for us after we had a visiting Great Blue Heron confiscate 4 of our largest Koi. https://www.okanagankoi.com/Combating-Predatory-Pond-Birds-a-18.html It sounds like you're keeping busy, enjoying the Spring season and handling this stressful time. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos and all the happenings on your farm. They are a great distraction from our trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola queria Teresa, disfruto mucho visitar tu blog , me encanta tu propiedad, tenes mucho lugar para tener plantas, animalitos y peces. Aqui en Costa Rica, estamos tambien encerrados tratando de pasar lo mejor posible el tiempo. Yo si trabajo, ya que no puedo darme el lujo de quedarme mucho en mi casa. Pero siempre cuidandome. Saludos desde este bello pais hasta tu propiedad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi, Teresa, I really enjoy visiting your blog, I love your property, you have a lot of place to have plants, animals and fish. Here in Costa Rica, we are also locked up trying to spend our time as well as possible. I do work, since I can't afford to stay long at home. But always taking care of myself. Greetings from this beautiful country to your property.

      Delete
  13. Teresa, your new fireplace is beautiful! I love it and I can imagine you will be making some memories using it as well as food! I have Susan Branch's original Heart of the Home cookbook. I love her and her artwork! She is an inspiration to many with her kind heart and love for living. Thank you as well for sharing your corner with all of us. I love the connections I have made with my blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely bamboo tour and I LOVE that pizza oven and would enjoy that fire here.
    Lovely shy koi and big guy is huge xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the tour of the bamboo. What a great job Dayle has done on the fire, it looks amazing. Love the look of the book, the artwork is a delight. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)