Monday, January 25, 2021

Blanket Update and a Thank You

Whew... I just finished all 15 colors on my Meadow blanket.  I am thinking I will make a squarish blanket and it might only require 4 or 5 repeats of the colors.  


Lucy was brilliant to start with purples and end with purples so when I start the second sequence the colors will mesh nicely.


Almost the whole width.  The colors in this photo are more accurate.


I received the most wonderful and thoughtful gift from one of my dear blog friends, Lorraine from "MamasMercantile" blog.  She lives on the island of Harris in Scotland in a darling little cottage, or croft.  She used local Harris tweed to make this amazing needle book.  I adore the woven wool fabric - All Harris Tweed is woven on a treadle loom at an islander’s home, not at a mill. The warp and weft yarns arrive from the mill. Then the weaver sets to work, hand tying the new yarns to the tail-ends of the previous weave, to make it easier to thread onto the loom. Weaving the cloth can now begin under the careful observation of the weaver.


She put green felt inside so I can put my collection of sewing needles in it.  What a great gift!  Thank you, Lorraine!!


Our DIL Kristi made this amazing artwork for Dayle for Christmas, it's done with "Diamond Dots", she hand applied each dot to make this beautiful piece - we have it hung in our dining room.  Thanks, Kristi!


My latest piece of jadeite, it was made by Fire King in 2000.  I am looking forward to making a big pan of brownies or a carrot cake in this.  Some collectors say not to use it, but I like to use my green beauties.  :-)


My SIL D'Ann and brother Rob were going through some old family photos and found this one of my sister Denise and I at Christmas when I was in 8th grade.  It's kind of bittersweet as this was taken  not long after mom divorced our father and we were living in an apartment having just started a new school, so no friends or family around.  Mom worked a swing shift so my little sister and I were on our own almost all day.  She left for work shortly after we got home from school.  So, if you had a stable life with your family around you, count your blessings.  :-)


My brother also scanned this photo of my adventurous mom riding an elephant when she visited Thailand!  She is the red-headed one.


Chef Dayle produced a delightful dinner of broiled filet mignon, baked potatoes and perfectly steamed asparagus.  YUM!  We have our grandson Caleb with us so he got treated to this dinner with us.  


Well.. that's my story for the day.  I hope you have a wonderful week ahead.  We are staying close to home by the fire.  And I will work on more stripes!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  



18 comments:

  1. Such a lovely gift from Lorraine! She's so thoughtful. Your Dayle surely spoils you all with his wonderful abilities in the kitchen! My husband is great cooking dinner on the grill, but the sides are up to me. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift from Lorraine. I follow her blog, she is very creative and crafty. Dayle's dinner looks quite yummy. I love old photographs, such memories. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy really has created another beautiful pattern and the fact that she chose to begin and end her color progressions in purple is brilliant, especially since I am particularly fond of purple :) I admire what you have stitched so far. I also admire the lovely gift you got from Lorraine and the amazing gift Kristi made for Dayle! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chef Dayle is so talented. Yummy dinner and lucky Caleb!
    I made a baby blanket this weekend and I'm putting the border on now. I looked really closely at your blog photos and copied the stitch! I hope that's okay. It will be donated to the hospital for a baby girl. It's the softest pink yarn. Your blanket is lovely and I really like the purples.
    Your gift from Lorraine is lovely. How thoughtful of her to send gifts so far.
    I have seen a few crafters doing the diamond painting and all of the pictures I've seen have been beautiful but the one Kristi made is the most meaningful by far.
    Hello to Dayle and kisses for Mocha.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely gift from Lorraine. How I wish our mail system was reliable. :/ Your stripey colors are so pretty and must be comforting to work on. I'm currently doing another granny star blanket. Always a joy to come across (or be sent) old photos. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely gifts to enjoy. Sad about your childhood. I agree. Happy families should count their blessings. Enjoy your crochet it’s looking good. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blanket is coming along nicely Teresa - beautiful Spring colors. What a wonderful needlebook - it is beautiful and I bet you will treasure it. Love that picture of your Mom riding an elephant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely gifts! I sure miss my loom. I had to pack it all during the remodel and it's still packed up in all this mess. I was just going through all my beautiful weaving cones and giving them a dusting.
    I made the mistake of looking through some old photos the other day and got a bad case of the ugly cries. I don't think I've ever missed my parents or the old days as much as I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crochet by the fire sounds wonderful. The blanket is looking lovely, I really like the colours, especially the pinks and purples. The Harris Tweed needle case is brilliant, Harris Tweed is fantastic, very sought after and with a great heritage. Great to see your old photos, thank you for sharing them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you shared the story about you and your sister being home alone. My teenage granddaughters are left home alone when my son goes to his night shift job. I don't live close enough to help out but the girls are close and are quite good at fending for themselves as they have done this for a few years now. It reassures me that you experienced a similar event and you have thrived in your life.
    Thanks for sharing, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your little gift arrived safely, it was just a token to let you know that you were in my thoughts whilst you were struggling with the events going on around you. Love what Kristi made for Dayle and your gorgeous crochet work. Yummy for that delicious looking meal. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky you are to have a Chef in your house! The meals I have been seeing on this and your last few posts look so appetising...in fact delicious! The blanket is really growing fast and the colours blend just perfectly;awesome spring colours. What a lovely gift and all the way from the Outer Hebrides off the coast of Scotland. Beautiful Harris Tweed! Your Green Beauties...very well named...they are that! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Teresa, a lovely blog once again! I so much love reading them! Your blanket is going to be wonderfull! I think I managed the stich, but I wait untill our yarn shops are open again. I want to buy local! Sorry to hear your time as a teenager was so difficult. It is not easy to raise yourself, even you have a lovely sister! In the Netherlands, we had three nights of riots and plundering! 8( Due to the night lock down from 21.00 till 4.30 hrs. the next morning. But it wasn't realy about that, it was just an excuse to go out and get mad. Tonight police and guards seem to be prepaired better and, funny enough, football hooligans organised to protect their hometowns. It seems to help this time, fingers crossed! Lots of love, Janneke.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O no, it is all over the news now, it is bad again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are greatfull is was over soon. Respect to the police! Two weeks untill the end of the lockdown. :-)

      Delete
  15. Teresa, honestly your stitches are so even I would swear they were machine made. WOW. Aw, That's hard that your mom worked swing shift. I did too, BUt my kids had their daddio with them. Big difference. LOVE THE Cats eye glASSES

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be a lovely blanket Teresa. Isn't it wonderful to browse through a box of old photos and reminisce? Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely catchup read Teresa. We are currently in hot weather Sunday 31st Jan

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)