Monday, January 31, 2011

Toddler Grandsons & Orange Bread Recipe

I had photos in my last post of a new recipe that hubby made - "Orange Marmalade Bread" - it hadn't cooled enough to try when I did the post so we thought it would be best to wait to give the recipe when we actually tasted it.  Well, it is GREAT!  We use it not as a snack, but for breakfast with our coffee.  The photo below is what it looks like sliced, see the cranberries, pecans and slivers of orange peel from the marmalade?  I'm not sure if you can find them but our cranberries are infused with pomegranate juice and they're very tasty and moist.  The recipe will be at the bottom of this post.  You could also make these as muffins.
 
We spent last evening with our youngest son, his wife Kristi and our 2 adorable toddler grandsons.  Travis put together a race track for them and we all had fun watching them launch the cars to see if they'd go all the way around the track, the boys had a BALL!
I am constantly amazed at the energy level of these little guys!  I wish I had ever 1/10th of it!  They love to run and chase and wrestle and dance and whooooooooooosh.... it's hard to keep up they're just a blur!  We got lots of hugs and kisses.
I hope you have a great week.  Tomorrow I'm attending a luncheon where a friend of mine is getting a Volunteer Service Award for her 25 years of work for the Friends of Vista House. I'm going to my older sister's house on Wednesday for a "Girl's Tea" with our other sister, my daughter and 2 granddaughters.  That will be fun!  Thursday I have a Portland Women's Forum meeting and Friday a Friends of Multnomah Falls.  Busy busy!

Here is the recipe:


ORANGE MARMALADE BREAD

3 c. all purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. coarsely broken pecans
1 c. dried cranberries
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
1 c. marmalade
2 eggs
1 c. orange juice or milk
2 tbsp. melted butter or oil

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Add walnuts, orange peel; stir to coat evenly. In a separate bowl, beat marmalade, eggs, orange juice or milk and melted butter until thoroughly blended. Add to dry ingredients and mix until moistened.

Bake in a well greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour or until cake tests done. Cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool thoroughly before cutting. Serve in thin slices with cream cheese whipped with additional orange marmalade. Makes one loaf.

9 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa,
    That bread looks delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe, I shall definitely try making it. Looks like you had lots of fun with your grandsons! Enjoy your week, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa, I love all your new and changing Blog backgrounds!!! That recipe looks sumptuous and fun to make. Must make soon!!!!!!! Maybe during the next snowfall tomorrow. Your grandsons are so cute, I just saw my two granddaughters and it was wonderful, still smiling but sad too, I miss them. Take care, xoRobin ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh another yummy loaf. I was in a hurry today so naughty me picked up some store bought gooey cupcakes...just scrubbed the kitchen top to bottom too and didn't want to mess it up...savor it for a few more hours anyway.

    Your grandsons are cute and I just bet they have endless energy.

    Teresa, I commented twice about the query you made on my blog so you can visit to have a peek later when you have time. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmm that bread certainly would make a yummy breakfast - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine, let me know if you make the bread and if you like it. Next time we're going to try it in muffin form. Yes, the boys were a blast!

    Robin, I'm enjoying the backgrounds too, but it has seemed to slow down how my blog scrolls.. wonder why? I'm just glad that my grandsons aren't moving away like my granddaughters are.. :-(

    Clara, thanks for the response on your blog.. I have copied the pattern! Today I'm working on a jar jacket... will show photos when it's done.

    Maria, hope you try the recipe, it's neat to have homemade goodies instead of the muffins I was buyins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bread looks even better sliced. Where did you find the infused cranberries. I'm sure those were yummy. You're grandsons are too cute. I so miss that age!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby got the pomegranate infused cranberries at Walmart! LOL

    The littlest boy is so cute with his curly hair and tuff boy looks.. they are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe, will definitely be trying that one! Your grandsons are so cute! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread looks delicious, I will find the time to give it a go. Your Grandsons are cute little fellas, so nice you had lots of hugs and kisses. I have two sons and wish I had half their energy. You certainly sound like you have a busy week, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)