Friday, September 13, 2013

Rodeo Queens & Bread Recipe

My sister Denise, friend Shirley and I volunteered at Multnomah Falls yesterday.  Every time something interesting happens!!  I saw these pretty ladies with big rodeo belt buckles on and asked them if they were on the way to the Pendleton Round-Up - the famous rodeo here in Oregon.  They said yes, and then told me they were Rodeo Queens from other big rodeos.  (From the left) Sam, is Miss Rodeo Nebraska, Gillian, Miss Rodeo Canada and Ashlee, Miss Rodeo New Mexico.  Aren't they cute?
We always meet so many interesting people, one guy was here for a big football game and told us he was a photographer for CNN, and several guys here to attend the game, to name a few.  As you can see, there is not much water coming over the falls - most of this is spring water as it's been a very dry summer and the snow has already melted off the mountains.   
On wednesday, we had record-breaking temperatures.  I went swimming and then to a meeting for the Friends of Multnomah Falls.. a hot day!  This is the temperature gauge in my car on the way to Lake Oswego for the meeting.
Here is my Daughters of the American Revolution - Portland Chapter - group meeting in our new location - Eastmoreland Golf Club.  It is a lovely space and I'm so happy we moved here. 
I took my new Betsy Ross doll to share with the group, and my Constitution replica, along with my vintage inkwell, dip pen and "Ben Franklin" style spectacles. 
My friend Shirley let me borrow this painting that I did for her for a gift in 1978, so I could scan it.  I returned the painting to her yesterday.  She'd actually had it in an envelope since 1978 and just framed it for her new home here in Oregon.  I hadn't seen it since I painted it, so it was fun to see it again.
When our son Travis and Kristi were doing some clean up work in the barn, they found a pie plate I'd made on a potter's wheel years ago and painted in Sumi ink style.  Unfortunately, it's cracked, but it's still pretty.
A lot of people asked for the recipe for Dayle's bread/roll recipe, so I will add that for you.

DAYLE'S HONEY WHEAT BREAD 

1 pkg yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ cup warm water
1 can evaporated milk
¼ cup warm water
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup honey
2 tsp. salt
½ cup wheat flour
3 ½ cup bread flour (approx.)
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional)  

1.  In small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in ½ cup warm water. 
2.  In mixer, combine milk, ¼ cup water, butter, honey, salt and wheat flour.  Add yeast mixture, egg yolk & 1/2 cup sourdough starter (optional).   
3.  Add bread flour until mixer can't mix it anymore then knead using more flour for 6-10 minutes to achieve satiny texture. 
4.  Place dough in oiled bowl and let rise until doubled. 
5.  Punch down and divide in two.  Roll into loaf shape, put in 2 bread pans, then brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Let rise until above pan about 1 1/2 inch.    

Bake 23 minutes at 375 degrees. 

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

24 comments:

  1. Hello Teresa lots of interesting things here today! I enjoyed seeing your lovely picture and the special plate you made too......so creative and versatile! Wishing you a happy weekend!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy lady. I like the large number of women in your group, Daughters of the American Revolution. I'm not sure what was going on at Multnomah Falls but it sounds like you met a lot of interesting people. We've had about the same temperatures where I live to the north of you. So hot! Hope you are keeping cool. Have a great weekend. I forgot to thank you for the recipe as the buns do look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love at plate ... And I agree you have so many talents and your posts reflect this. Interesting,varied and lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so talented, Teresa! You've made such beautiful things. It sounds like you did a lot of interesting things this week. Always a pleasure to see what you've been up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful place where you volunteer so it's no wonder so many people are drawn to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that pie plate, Teresa! You're very talented.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty plate you made. Forget about the crack, put it where you can admire and enjoy it, maybe in the cabinet where you have all your treasures? It would still be functional for serving up those tasty looking rolls that Dayle makes. I know about that hot weather. We had scorching heat these past 2 days and today it was in the high 60's-low 70's. It is suppose to get down in the 40's tonight. How crazy is that! One day the ac is on, the next you feel cold enough to kick on the heat.
    Have a great weekend. The roll recipe looks scrumptious, I love hot rolls with butter. You can tell that by my waistline, lol
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Queen's sure are cute. And you my friend are so talented, the plate, picture and all you crochet. And you are a blessing volunteering and taking such an active role in cause you love.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing more of your beautiful works of art, including this post, Teresa! I hope you have a happy weekend as well :)
    Gracie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, thanks for the bread recipe! I swear I'm going in there right now and get my starter mixed and growing so I can make these next week. Love your painting! You are so talented in so many ways. So wish I could meet you in person sometime. You're just a neat person. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always so much going on in your world Teresa! LOVE the painting of the covered bridge!!!! I enjoyed those so much when I visited Oregon!!! Love the pottery!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking us to the Falls with you. The Queens are all gorgeous and it was sweet of them to let you take a picture of them. Your artwork always amazes me with your talent. Have a lovely weekend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a busy lady you are!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your lovely family.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so fun you get to meet so many interesting people. It looks like u finally had your meeting and it looks like you had fun. Nice location :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a talented artist. I love looking at all of the different things you have created over the years. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love coming to visit your little space Teresa, you always have such interesting stories to share. Images of the falls is my favorite since there is nothing like that here in Louisiana(at least what I am aware of there's not)
    I would surely use that plate, crack and all....it's so pretty! I can't believe you made that!!!!!!
    I so happy to hear your friend Shirley had the picture you made for her framed for the world to see, for it's to pretty to be tucked away. It's amazing!
    Thanks for sharing Dayle's recipe for wheat bread rolls. I am saving this recipe for our next big dinner...ohhh, can't wait!
    Hugs,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Teresa,Thank you so much for the recipe!!!Will try it out in my new kitchen soon!!!As always,it's a pleasure to see what you've been up to!!!Have a great weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those bread rolls look so good .. The smell of bread cooking is awesome - I want one NOW !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Teresa, oh that bread does look wonderful! Love those great belts.
    Thank you for your kind comment, GD is doing well and we hope next month's check up will go well.

    Yes, I wish you could be at Yarndale too. Only two weeks to go. Will take lots of photos as I am sure other bloggers/IGers/Ravellers will do too.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yahoooo as promised I finally made the time to pop over and say HI! It has been way too long..life gets busy. But never the less I am here and sooooo want to make those amazing rolls of yours. Hugs and thank you for always taking the time to visit me my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have had some interesting times, lately! You are very talented, that is for sure. Painting, pottery, and crochet! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post...hopped over from Aimee on the Mountainside blog, one of my Oregon blog friends. Nice blog, by the way! I live in Oregon as well. Multnomah falls is beautiful. I'm sure you had a great day volunteering there. Columbia River gorge and Hood River are now an added favorite place to visit. The coast is my ultimate favorite! Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Teresa, I shall give it a try... Your painting is lovely. You're so talented. 100-degrees, that's sweltering! Keep cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh thank you for the recipe! I'm looking forward to tasting these rolls.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)