Monday, January 18, 2016

Lots of Swans a Swimming

When I was zooming down the freeway towards Multnomah Falls last thursday to meet my sister Denise for lunch in the lodge and then to volunteer in the Visitors Center in the afternoon -- I had my eye on Mirror Lake between Rooster Rock and Crown Point in the Columbia River Gorge, Oregon -- to see if the Tundra Swans were still there.  Not only were they there but many more than the last time I was there.  OH.. note to self.. go back and get some photos!  When I got home I told my DIL Kristi that I'd like for us to go and get some photos with her camera that has a better zoom than mine.  The next day my son Travis took his family out to breakfast and Kristi took the camera.  On their way home they went there and hiked down to the lake's edge and got some great shots.  


When I drove by there were several swans in the middle of the lake with a backdrop of this waterfall.  This day they were all close to the other side of the lake, but I was happy that they got a photo of the rock formations by the lake.



This was a fun shot - one of the swans had it's neck straight out in front.



Do you see the ones with grey necks?  Those are the juveniles.


This is Kristi's favorite shot with the two swans that make a heart shape with their necks.


I'm happy that we have a special lake nearby that the swans come back to every year.  I think that's pretty neat.



This might be a family - Mom, dad and 3 kids.



Three pretty swans.  Love.


Pretty big birds.


They eat bugs and slugs in the grassy lake edges.


I love how their feathers blow up in little curly-cues.


See the swans in flight in the bottom left of this photo?



So now I want another camera to add to my arsenal.  One that has a bit better zoom than my pocket-sized one.  My birthday is coming up.. Dayle.. :-)


I hope you've enjoyed the photos that the kids took for us!  Do you have swans that visit near your home?  Please tell us about them!  Have a wonderful day!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

24 comments:

  1. No swans around here that I know of ,but I sure did enjoy the pictures that you posted Teresa. I think my favorite is the one you said is Kristi's favorite, where their necks form a heart shape. A new camera does seem to be on your horizon doesn't it? Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos Teresa. We do have some not too far away but I've not actually seen them for a while. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Teresa these photos are great! Love the same one Kristi does, it's quite the captured moment๐Ÿ’œ
    xoxoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn good photography! Your grand boys sure have their Grandma's & Mama's eye for photo journalism.
    Good job guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my DIL and son who took the photos.. but the little boys hiked down to the lake with them. :-)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous swans Teresa.....ain't nature the best xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! We don't have swans here, just loads of Canada Geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were Canada Geese among them.. but they look small next to the swans.

      Delete
  7. The swans are so beautiful! I haven't seen any on this side of the river. Nice job on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do egrets count? They are all over the east side of Oahu. White, long necks ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing all the neat photos of the swans! I have fond memories of the swans that lived near us on the west side of the Hudson River in NY in the 1980s - 90s, but I never got to photograph them as Travis and Kristi were able to do. ...so interesting and beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat seeing all those beautiful swans together. Where I live in inland (about 2.5 hours drive to the coast) but we do have a very large man made lake. I can't recall seeing a swan but we get lots of 'resident' ducks in some of the quieter parts. Your blog is always full of surprises - so many interesting things to read about. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Notebook:)


    I think am a camera coveter.And I get attached to them..and keep them through the yrs..one broke 3 yrs ago..a point and shoot I loved..I found a reasale last night..a good camera is a thing to behold..well one that works for us;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, I saw this free Blackstone Designs pattern being given away this morning and I immediately Thought of your lovely patio. I personally like the candle ones..
    link:
    http://blackstonedesigns.blogspot.com/2015/12/patterns-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww Im pushing the family for a vacation by you this year! Seven swans a swimming. LOVE The heart capture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like Gracie, I have experience with swans on the Hudson River, but I never took any photos of them (Gracie and I lived on opposite sides of the river at the same time but only met in Blogland!). You and Kristi got some great shots. Around here, I'm waiting until mid-March or so to see the sandhill cranes flying back to the north from where they spend the winter in New Mexico, at Bosque del Apache. I've seen them twice in the nine years I've lived here and I'd love to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely swan photos Teresa, such majestic birds. We usually have a pair down at the ponds but on our last walk I could only see a single... x

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are so beautiful and graceful looking! Great shots Kristi!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, Teresa...I LOVE these pictures!! I've never, ever seen so many swans in one place before. Probably the most I've seen in one place would be three of them. Thanks so much for sharing the pics! Swans were my mom's favorite. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pictures are great. We have swans come close to where I live. Any time there is flooding even more come.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous! Now you have me wanting to make a trip there as swans are a fav of mine. No swans on our road trip today (I have a very nasty cold, but an even nastier case of cabin fever thanks to the endless rain lately and HAD to get out). We did see a lot of ducks, one large heron, a bald eagle, etc. though ;-)
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those swans are so beautiful. I think a swan feather would be a very fun find.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)