Friday, January 26, 2018

Volunteering at the Falls

I spent the afternoon at Multnomah Falls yesterday, talking with visitors from near and far.  My friend Shirley was with me.  It was a drizzly day but the people still came to see the falls.  The biggest question is "When will we get to go up to the falls again?".  There is a fence keeping people from walking up to the viewing plaza and the trail to the top of the falls due to the rocks falling on the trail and plaza due to the fire.


Shirley and I had lunch before our shift, this is the view of the Columbia River and Washington State across the river.


I crocheted on my Woodland blanket while we talked with people and gave them travel directions.  It's fun how many people ask me what I'm working on and have stories of family members who knit and crochet.  



I enjoy my tools.. the neat little sewing scissors and my silver crochet hook.


We left at 4 pm, we have shorter hours now due to the post fire situation.  I don't think I've taken a photo from this spot, this is the Historic Columbia River Highway bridge over Multnomah Creek.



Just after we passed under the railroad bridge a train came by, I was glad it didn't go over while we were under it!  Can you believe how close it passes in front of the falls?


This is from the parking lot in between the east and west lanes of the freeway, see where the fire burned?  All along the ridge tops and right down to the road.  It's amazing that the lodge was saved due to the efforts of a group of dedicated fire fighters.


I am looking forward to Spring to see if the ferns and mosses come back and it starts to heal.



I have to jet off soon to get my annual exam testing done.  Ugh.  I really really do not like having blood drawn.  And it's a fasting one so no coffee and breakfast yet.  Bleh!  OK, have a super weekend.. I hope you get to do some fun things!  
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

13 comments:

  1. Always a joy to see the falls even with the damage from the fire. Hopefully the ferns and mosses will come back better than ever, they generally do after a fire. Love your beautiful scissors, are they antique? Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My scissors are still being made in France by Sajou. You can buy them on Amazon - they are not inexpensive. :-) They also make the most wonderful waxed linen sewing thread in little plastic spools. I have one in white and in black.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the photos today Teresa, both of the falls and of your blanket. I have actually been walking under that bridge when a train went over and it’s deafening! I hope all went well with your testing today and we’all soon be hearing that the doctor thinks you’re in tiptop condition.
    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The devastation is incredible, so happy the center and the bridge and such were saved. Your blanket is growing each time I see it, the colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best with your annual test ♥ Love seeing those falls always and a shame we won't get there this year with our trip to Canada..... Lovely scissors, I love my stork ones my Mum bought me a few years back, nice memories of her xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. All and I mean all your photos are amazing
    That train is soooo close to the fall!
    Love your crochet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for posting, Teresa. You captured great angles of your subjects in your photos. Your blanket is gorgeous! I hope you get good results from your medical exam! Carolyn's oldest granddaughter and her husband are coming to visit from NE this weekend so we are looking forward to a happy weekend! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that the falls area recovers really quickly. Must be fun meeting all those visitors, a bit like my National Trust work. Your blanket is making great progress and I so love your hook and scissors. Hope all goes well with your check up. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures....and scary to see how close the fire came. Your crochet is looking beautiful and I just love those pretty scissors! Good luck with your medical check and have a happy weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your blog and check it for new posts every day. Can you tell me where you got your silver crochet hook? I have a brass one that looks exactly like it that my mother gave me many years ago. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne, I got my silver hook from Molly Sheeran-Swan of Celtic Swan - here is the website: http://www.celticswan.com/

      Delete
  10. Hello again , catching up and thank you for popping by mine :-) I do so hope that there will be regrowth where the fire did it's damage. Hope the test went ok. I really don't like having blood taken either :-( Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing photos of Multnomah Falls. I immediately saw the black on the rim in the first photo. Amazing it's not as bad as it was first thought. More trees than I thought there would be. I'm sure there will still be flowers in the spring as well. I always enjoy seeing the trains go by while I'm there as well. I'm sure it would be extremely noisy and shaky if in the tunnel! SCARY!!! It's amazing how many trains go through the gorge all day!!! Nice blanket and colors. Fasting med tests are no fun. I always have a good breakfast somewhere afterwards. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)