Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Vista House, Sternwheeler and Attic Find

Yesterday I attended a debriefing meeting for the committee who organized the 100th Centennial Celebration of the Vista House.  It was good to review the day and we all came out of the meeting reassured that the event was a success.  The leader of the group gifted me with this lovely window hanging, it's the logo of the event etched/printed onto stained glass like the glass installed in the windows at Vista House during the restoration project a few years back.


I had picked up my friend Sally to bring her to the meeting and afterwards I drove us up to Stevenson, Washington to treat her to lunch at Big T's Diner.  Afterwards I drove us down by the river to get a shot of the beautiful vessel.


I must say it was a beautiful day and quite picturesque.


They shared this document at the meeting, it was read at the event.  :-)


Kristi found this in the attic and I was so pleased she found it!  It's a wool carder.  I had paid a pretty penny for this 40 years ago and it got stowed in the attic and I lost track of it.  I have to order a replacement drive belt for it as the old one had gotten brittle and broke when touched.  


Soon Dayle and I are heading to meet the new owners of Stargazer for lunch where we'll get to chat about the boat.  I'm looking forward to that!  We're having fair weather here, I hope you are too wherever you are on this beautiful blue planet.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

14 comments:

  1. The river boat is a beauty, Teresa! Do you know its name? The views are stunning. I'm sure you enjoyed a lovely day with your friend. The old wool carder is really a special piece. I hope it won't be hard to replace the belt. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice Teresa to be an integral part of this milestone anniversary of Vista House. It's heart warming to know that this beautiful structure is still alive and well thanks to volunteers like you. I love the wool carder. Did you spin wool, too? Pat 🌻🌼🌷

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got a beautiful window hanging.
    Amazing view of the boat along with the clean blue sky and water...
    Happy to see the old wood carder:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a lovely day with Sally...pretty photos! Elisabeth and I each have hand carders, but it is much faster to use the little drum carder like you have. It reminds me that when my dad was in his 90's he told me about supervising a huge drum carder in the Ayer woolen mill in Lawrence, MA. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that Vista House has been welcoming visitors for so long. I saw on the news that the boy who burned so much acreage because of his irresponsible actions is ordered to pay 35 million. Where is he supposed to get that kind of money? They didn't say anything about jail time. Perhaps having him plant seedlings and volunteer in community gardens around the state would be a better learning lesson. Just seems there is a better way to teach him a lesson. Never heard of a wool carder but looks very interesting. I'm sure your meeting with the new boat owners was a great one. Look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing that beautiful paddle steamer - reminds me of years gone by. Not that I've ever seen one except in movies. The article on Vista House was an interesting read. How about that carder ? You'll have to buy a sheep now :) Hope you enjoyed your lunch with the Stargazer's new owners. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our weather surprised us with drizzle today; did yours? It's awesome that you were involved in this celebration, and nice that you were recognized for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos again Teresa. We are warm sunny and so so happy our forecast is 80s for the next 10 days

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous river boat Teresa xoxo a really nice day here which is amazing as been raining for days lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a wonderful day. I'm glad that you have so many activities and friends that keep you busy, (and young)! I had wool combs when I used my spinning wheel but never had a drumb carder. That one looks like a very nice one. I hope you can get a new belt and put it to use.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your lovely sunshine Teresa..I like the new gazebo too and I'm glad you enjoyed the royal wedding....the weather could not have been more perfect! Have a lovely upcoming weekend. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Teresa! Trying to catch up on a couple of blogs this morning before my day gets crazy (again). Gosh! I love all the flowers you have (that polka dot rhododendron is so beautiful!!). And your new gazebo looks fabulous - should be fun to have meals out there. it is 8 a.m. here as I type, but those steaks look awfully yummy - even for breakfast - lol.

    Wishing you a lovely holiday weekend - enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell Teresa, hope you had a lovely lunch. The paddle steamer is a beauty. Good you found the Cader, not that I would know what to do with it:-) Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That wool carder looks to be from Ashford, I know you paid a pretty penny for it. How fun to have it back again.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)