Monday, May 28, 2018

Remembering Those Who Gave All

We celebrate Memorial Day today in the USA.  It's a day to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives in military service to our country.  My father served, so did Dayle and his father too.  Had they not returned I would not have been born, nor my younger sister, nor all three of my children, nor Dayle or his two younger sisters.  We always go to visit my dad's grave and clean the bronze marker as it always needs cleaned and shined up.  He is buried in Evergreen Memorial in Vancouver, Washington.  It's very pretty there and well taken care of.


Every year the Boy Scouts put in flags at each marker in the military section.  


We took the boys with us as we had them this day and I was glad to bring them as I think it's a good thing that they learn to remember their family no longer with us.  


I arranged the flowers we brought while Dayle showed the boys how to clean the marker.



I heard a familiar voice across the way and called out to Jeannie, my Dad's kindly neighbor who looked out for him for years and years.  Our son Shawn bought Dad's home after his passing and Jeannie was a good neighbor to him and his family, too.  Travis and Kristi even lived there for almost a year and she took our two little grandsons under her wing.  When she saw the boys, she was amazed at how much they'd grown over the last 6 years and how handsome they'd become.  We filled her in on our family news and asked about hers.  It was very good to see her.


With the flowers just so, the marker shined up, Dayle put the US and Marine flag back into the ground.



I snapped a photo of the guys.



I talk to Dad when there, tell him everything that's happened since our last visit.  I like to think he's watching over us and knows we visited.



My cousin Ed on Facebook posted this photo of my Dad in uniform which is neat as I'd never seen this one.  Dad was drafted into the service during WWII and during the induction a Marine officer came in and picked out the guys he wanted and that's how Dad became a Marine.  61,000 US soldiers fought on Iwo Jima. Dad's own troop went on the first wave on Iwo Jima, approx. 240 men, and only 17 walked out not killed or wounded.  Dad was sent to Japan after surviving that.  He was a gentle and sweet farm boy and was a kind and loving father.


My dear husband Dayle served in the US Army as a officer and helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War.  He was shot while flying a scouting mission and spent a year in the Army hospital, 5 months in traction while his femur tried to knit together then he was put in a body cast for 2 months.  He's thankful that they saved his leg although it's one inch and 5/8s shorter than the other leg.  His 3 kids and I are happy he made it home.


  
Dayle's Dad also served in WWII in the Army in Philippines working in the base post office.



I hope you all will share with me a moment of thanks for those who have fought for freedom for all our countries around the globe.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Many thanks for your family's service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is wonderful that you took the boys to the cemetery. A great lesson in history and responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicepost remembering those who have srved on this day. Dennis, my brother, my brother in law and my Dad have all served in the military during years of conflict. I, too, am grateful that they all returned home safely as so many others did not.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post Teresa and so many wonderful memories to share with those special granboys. My Dad served in WWII in the Navy ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a heartfelt post, Teresa. So many sacrifices by so many..all those handsome men, so young, serving their country... My Daddy was a Marine as well. So glad all these fine young men returned home. Today we remember those that did not. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very touching tribute for this Memorial Day. I thank your family for their service to our country. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many memories and lovely to share with your grandsons

    ReplyDelete
  8. A loving post Teresa and so good that you took your grandson's with you to learn how others gave for our freedom. How amazing to run into your friend, how kind she has been to your family. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful post Teresa. I two thought about all those who served and did not make it back, and those that did make it back and had to adjust to living with what they had seen. My father was a WWII vet, he never ever glorified war like the movies does. He had nightmares until the day he died. I am so glad he made it through all of that, scars and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post Teresa (and love the picture of you with your shawl!!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks to you and your family for all the service that keeps us Free in this great country. I love that you taught GRAVE care

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a lovely post Teresa and it was nice seeing pictures of the service men in your family. We also had a public holiday last Monday - its hard to keep up with what its called. Originally it was called labor day, then they changed it to family day and its now called reconciliation day. Our Remembrance Day is November 11 each year and we also have Anzac Day on April 25. ANZAC stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We should never forget those who gave so much to ensure our freedom and it's so important that successive generations understands what was sacrificed. I love that your grandson's are so aware and involved, you must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Teresa. It is good that the younger generation remember those who fought for our freedom and those who gave everything. My granddaughter was involved in a lovely project at school re family who had been involved in any way in the forces during World Wars. It was lovely to see her interest in her great, great grandfathers and great grandfather. Also my husband's half brother who flew Lancasters. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)