Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Sourdough Flapjacks and Family Memories

First I want to share with you the full moon I captured last night.  I went out at 11:30 pm and sat as still as I could in my rattan chair and snapped away.  My camera does not get the accuracy of some crazy spendy cameras but it gets a fairly good image of my beloved moon.


My grandson Caleb mentioned he'd like some sourdough pancakes like we made at camp so we rejuvenated the sourdough starter and I mixed up a big batch of batter and we had it for dinner the other night.  Have you ever had REAL sourdough pancakes?  My friends, it's pretty amazing.  Did you know you can make your own sourdough starter?  I did a long time ago, you can google how.  Better yet is get a bit of a friend's starter that has been going a while.  Mine is from my brother Rob who got it from a friend who got his from his family and it's about 150 years old!  I'll add the recipe at the bottom of this post.


Caleb has decided he didn't want to take piano lessons any longer.. I was disappointed.. but then Kristi told the piano teacher she'd like to take over his lesson time.  AND.. Travis will start lessons too!  I'm so excited!  Hearing Kristi learn and practice gave me the push to practice the songs I taught myself so long ago.  I've been enjoying brushing up on the songs, Shenandoah is the last one I played last night.  I'm so happy that my beloved antique baby grand piano is getting used by the family.  I can't tell you how many times people have told me I should sell it and free up the space in the living room.  I steadfastly refused and now my stubbornness is being vindicated.  :-)


I was looking for a specific photo in the family photo album I put together years ago and used my iPhone to snap a few photos to share with my relatives on Facebook and here on my blog.  This is my mom on the right with me as a baby and in the middle is my aunt Wilma who was married to my uncle Pierce and their first baby Nancy, on the left is aunt Helyn, married to Uncle Harold and their first child Steve.  



Little me standing by the water pump on the porch of the farmhouse where my grandparents lived in the countryside of Watonga, Oklahoma.  The old house where all my uncles and one aunt were born.  The house where I rescued the old kitchen queen cabinet and 5 legged oak table currently in use in our farmhouse here in Oregon.  :-)



My parents moved all 4 of us children to Oregon when I was 4 1/2.  On the right is me and my younger sister Denise and on the left are cousins Anita and Mona who obviously were brought out to visit us from Oklahoma.  Their mama was my dad's only sister, Mary Ann.  Our mother's always dressed us up like dolls.  :-)



Leaping forward to Dayle and I dressed up for his Senior Prom.  Mom again made my dress for me in emerald green satin and picked out the black gloves and black, a black beaded bag and high heels, diamond costume jewelry and got my hair done by a hairdresser.  I was 16 and Dayle was 17.



Another leap forward in time, this is the photo I was looking for.  My daughter Amy and her family recently went on a vacation to Florida and I wanted to share with her this photo of when we were young parents and we took her on a trip to Florida, to Panama City, where we camped in the VW camp-mobile that we bought as my car.  :-)



Oh how I loved that VW bus!  We'd gone to the VW dealership to look at a 23 window VW bus but in the middle of the showroom floor was this sparkling new red 1970 VW bus opened up with the top popped up, the little sink, fridge, table, closet and I fell heart and soul in love with it.  Interestingly Amy began in this same spot on a trip there the year before.  :-)



Another leap forward to all three of our children with their baby goats.  I was such a idealistic hippie, I wanted goats so I could milk them so the children would be raised on home produced and healthy milk.  We also raised chickens so they'd see how food was made and participate in the care of the animals.  I'm still that hippie, but in the last years of my life here on this earth.  


While the children were young and growing up I took pottery classes at Mt. Hood Community College.  I really took to making my own bowls, mugs and things and set up a pottery studio on the garage with a Lockerbie kick wheel and Olympic kiln.  Here I am throwing a pot using earthenware clay.  I always kept my interests in crafting while the kids were growing up, I spun wool on a spinning wheel, knitted hats and mittens for them, did stained glass and took jewelry classes too.



I was the 4-H Dairy Goat leader for 5 years with my friend Diane.  The Oregonian newspaper even did this article about our group and this is Amy showing her goat!  Such memories!



I hope you didn't mind my walk down memory lane.  Below is a photo of the Hollyhock in a pot on our deck, I swear it's like 6 feet tall!  Isn't the bloom pretty?



SOURDOUGH FLAPJACK RECIPE


(For 2 people, use this recipe.  For 4 people, double it, for 6, triple it.)

Night before - mix 1 cup flour (I recommend 1/4 cup wheat and 3/4 cup white) with enough warm water to make a nice thick batter (like cake mix consistency).

Stir that up good then add 1/2 cup sourdough starter - stir it in well but don't beat it too much.

Next morning, stir together 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1/6 cup oil, and stir these ingredients into the batter you made the night before.

When the griddle is hot, brush it with cooking oil.  

Then add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in a bit of warm water and add this to the batter just before cooking, stir it in, don't beat it too hard.

NOTE:  Never use metal spoons or measuring devices or bowls when using the sourdough. Use wooden or silicone spoons for mixing and rubber spatulas for scraping.

Batter will be fairly thin - use ladle and put about 1/2 cup of batter for each flapjack.

(NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT WITH HOW HOT THE PAN OR GRIDDLE IS AS YOU COOK THEM.  I HAD TO LOWER MINE OR ELSE THEY GOT TOO BROWN TOO FAST.  YOU WANT THEM TO BE GOLDEN BROWN.)

Cook till brown on one side, then flip over and brown the other side.  Serve with butter on top and maple syrup.

Feed sourdough batter with a batter of about a half cup of warm water and flour.  It will foam up when it's happy.  If you aren't going to use it for a while, put it in the fridge, and when you want to use it, take it out a few days ahead and feed it and keep it on the counter.
------------------------------
OK, you get a gold star if you made it all through this post.  :-)

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

21 comments:

  1. Mandy and I both would love a plateful of those pancakes!!! They look amazing. And although it’s too bad Caleb doesn’t want to continue lessons, how fun Travis and Kristi want too. I would love to hear all of that practicing happening. I always love music of almost any kind. (Except rap. I can’t get my head around rap!) :-)
    Teresa, I LOVED your walk down memory lane. You and Dayle made a handsome couple and I enjoyed all of the stories of your childhood and Amy’s too. That VW bus is wonderful. So many adventures to be had. I’m going to go back and look at them all again.
    Much love and Blesisngs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy do your sourdough pancakes have my mouth watering. When I had a sourdough starter I used to make these as well and they are yummy!
    I really love seeing all the photos of you as a child and then as a grown up! You are so lucky you have them to reflect back on. Your Mama dressed you so sweetly. I was recently discussing with my grandson all the old pictures we have and what to do with them. I really need to scan them as they are deteriorating and turning yellow. Have a wonderful evening. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must come back and compliment you on the photo of the moon. It's wonderful! I get my best shots of the moon when it is ice cold outside.
    Also, your piano is beautiful. I can see why you could never part with it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. From gorgeous full moon photo to sourdough pancakes I enjoyed this post! I admire the love and creativity you invest in life and your retelling of your interests encourages me. Thanks for posting, Teresa! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Your mom really dressed you girls up FANCY!!! LOL

    I'm sure many happy times were spent camping in that VW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good capture of the moon!
    Pan cakes are easy to make and they taste good!
    My kid loves to play piano and i love to hear what he is playing!
    Beautiful to see the black and white pictures and to get some sweet old memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved all your family photos and your walk down memory lane. It’s lovely looking back. Fabulous shot of the moon. Glad the piano is getting good use. Just had mine tuned so I need to get at it. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Teresa. Can I have my gold star :-) it was easy getting through your post though, loved the memories! Fab shot of the moon. Yum, pancakes!!! Sad re Caleb and piano but you can't force them. Who knows he might decide to try again one day. Our eldest kept it up but younger son gave up :-( Saddest part for me was that we had to sell the piano, it had belonged to my Great Grandma but but as Matthew progressed he needed a much better one . However it went to a very good home. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful photos from your family album, lovely to see you over the years. You looked absolutely gorgeous in your prom dress, and so grown up. I've got sourdough starter on my kitchen counter, so I might give your pancakes a try. The children love pancakes but I hardly ever make them, just once a year really, but I'm intrigued by the idea of sourdough ones. Loved this post Teresa. From one hippy to another. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really did enjoy the walk along with you down memory lane, what a joy to share them with loved ones too. My three girls play the piano but sadly not a skill I have mastered but would really love to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post Teresa!! I loved seeing all those pictures. I would have really enjoyed one of those VW campers. You are just so creative - it's inspiring. Love your Moon picture too.

    I'm not a huge fan of sourdough, but those pancakes look delicious! I'm curious why you should not use metal utensils or bowls, etc. with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sourdough is naturally acidic and long exposure to specific metals, such as copper and aluminum, may damage the material. Thus, it’s advised to keep starters in glass jars or plastic containers. However, brief contact with metals, for instance, mixing the starter with a stainless steel utensil, will not cause detrimental effects to the metal or sourdough.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering if that was why. Thanks for the explanation!

      Delete
  12. Teresa, I learn and love from your photos. I have a friend who is trying her hand at goats. She carefully selected a breeder and the goats she gave them want no affection. She is heartbroken. She borrowed a friends friendly goat to see if they would mimic and learn to like her. Do you have any tricks for helping her goats to be huggable????? Shes sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.. how old are the goats? To have one that likes people it's best to bottle raise them from babies. Also - goats aren't usually used for affection. They are used for milking, meat or brush-eating. We raised ours on bottles and they were good with the kids but I wouldn't say they are an affectionate animal. She just needs to spend a lot of time with them and give them treats. Affection can't be demanded, it has to be earned. :-)

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed seeing your photos! They brought back some of my own memories. I'm not surprised that you were so active with raising animals, making pottery, doing crafts, and spinning wool. What a great upbringing for your kids and a rich life for you! And you're still learning things. That's the only way to live, in my opinion. Sourdough pancakes are the absolute best! I've never had a starter but my grandmother always had one. When we had our beach house, hubby and I would always stop at "Pig 'n Pancake" in Astoria for sourdough pancakes and they make pretty good ones.Thanks for your recipe. Good luck with the piano lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sourdough pancakes....I can smell them now and it's been nearly 8 years since I cut out flour. I enjoyed your trip down memory lane - I sometimes play my piano on fridays when hubs is out and about. Caleb may come back to lessons hearing the piano played by other people in the house tinkling away. What's that old saw ...There are no old piano players, they just tinkle away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the photos Teresa, it is a pleasure to share those memories with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh mercy, where to begin??? Love the patriotic things! Love the photos!!! We had a 76 VW camper bus. Orange! And we loved it!! How I wish we still had it. We went all over in that thing!
    I loved walking down memory lane with you. And the flapjacks...yum. I really need a sourdough starter again!
    So much to comment on, and I know I am forgetting so many things..but I loved this post!
    Happy 4th!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, shoot. Me again. The yarn. Fabulous! I didn't know Posie was dying yarn. And the other yarn, does indeed look like sock yarn. I am a knitting foot lately, and I haven't picked up a crochet hook since I began to knit. I love it!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I sure loved this walk down memory lane awesome pics Teresa and yes I am doing a blog catchup after being away for a week xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)