Friday, August 31, 2018

Enjoying the River at Summer's End

Yesterday Dayle and I headed out in the early afternoon to run an errand which included picking up something at Multnomah Falls.  WELL.. the sign on the freeway said the parking lot was closed as it was full.. so we decided to drive on to have lunch in Stevenson, Washington after crossing over the Bridge of the Gods.  We had a good lunch at Big T's diner then did some sightseeing.  Our first stop was the boat launch area in Stevenson.  You can see Wind and Dog Mountain upriver.  I climbed to the top of both of them when I was in Girl Scout camp in my youth.  :-)


It was a breezy day and the windsurfers and kite surfers were out in force taking advantage of natures power.


These people are quite amazing as they often go airborne for a while.  See the grey on the mountains in the gorge across the river in Oregon?  That's where the Eagle Creek fire of last September burned.  :-(  50,000 acres burned over 3 months.  Started by a 15 year old boy tossing a smoke bomb off a trail into a dry canyon.  :-(



Looking West and seeing the "sun pennies" on the Columbia River.



These guys move so fast it's hard to get a good photo!



We heard a train coming and I handed Dayle my iPhone just in time to get a photo as it roared past.  BNSF - Burlington Northern Santa Fe RR.  New readers may not know but Dayle was a railroad engineer with Southern Pacific then Union Pacific RR for 30+ years!


We then drove on and to the left was this neat art installation of colored glass and metal wind whirligig.



This is Bob's Beach which was dedicated to the windsurfers to use.


There is a small log built inn there, I would love to rent this cabin for even one night.  I might just do that!



Doesn't this just look idyllic?  I can see sitting on the deck and watching the wind surfers and the river boat traffic while sipping coffee with Dayle.  


We then drove on West to Beacon Rock State Park and noticed this little Vine Maple had turned colors.  


There were also several Blue Elderberry trees covered with berries in the park.



We went on to the boat ramp at the park where you can get a really great photo.  Beacon Rock is a large 840-foot-high basalt volcanic vent plug. The Missoula Floods eroded away the softer outer material. 


Did you know there is a trail to the top of this?  Who wants to climb it?  :-)


Many years ago when we had our sailboat moored in the Cascade Locks yacht basin, we went through the locks of Bonneville Dam and on to the dock here where we spent the night aboard.  THAT was quite the experience to go through the lock of a mighty dam.


There was this bush full of black currant berries by the side of the trail.



And Pearly Everlasting - which is a wonderful dried flower.



We picked up a soft ice cream cone at the East Wind Drive In and drove to the beach by the boat basin to savor our cones while enjoying the view of the river.



Then on to the boat launch to capture a view of the Bridge of the Gods.


Then we drove through the neat little town of Cascade Locks, and stopped at the Native Indian run Brigham fish market and I bought 2 chunks of smoked Steelhead to have with cream cheese and crackers.  Well.. off to swimming I go.  Have a great weekend!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

12 comments:

  1. Goodness, your neck of the woods is always breathtakingly beautiful, it really is. The kite surfing looks fun, what a spot to do it. Glad you had such a good day. Enjoy your steelhead, and have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of a beautiful part of the world. I love your journeys and stories around your neighbourhood. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little journey you took me on with you was fabulous. Thanks. The photos are outstanding. I can sure see spending a little time in that charming cabin. I have always enjoyed exploring Oregon. A couple years ago, I spent some time at Steamboat Inn in Southern Oregon. I really like the Umpqua River. As well as all of Oregon. My oldest brother lived in Portland for many years. Thanks again for my mini trip with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip around the Gorge. It's really one of my favorite places. So much beauty to see. I think it would be fun for you and Dayle to rent the little cabin. I would love to see photos of the inside. I've always wanted to live in a cabin. I think our trailer is the closest I'll ever get. :-) Have a great weekend Teresa.
    Blessings always,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful, Teresa! So crisp and clear and lovely. What a great place to enjoy with your hubby. I hope you rent that cabin soon. Thank you for sharing your corner of the world. I really enjoy seeing all of its beauty! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for posting your latest tour of the beautiful area around us! The photos and narrative are a perfect match and remind me of good memories I have of the area, too. Happy Labor Day Weekend to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such beautiful photos of one of my favorite places to visit. This year we are camping along the Oregon coast so won't be going to Cascade Locks as we usually do. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cabin looks like a perfect place to relax!!!

    Love the photo of the train. You captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rent that cabin!!!! how awesome would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! Thanks for sharing the beauty all around you. I hope your swim was fun and that the weekend is enjoyable so far. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really do live in a beautiful place Teresa, I love seeing all the wonderful sightseeing adventures you and Dayle go on. Beacon Rock is spectacular but I don't think I'll be climbing it anytime soon. Sitting on the deck of that cute cabin would be much closer to my tastes. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)