Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Porch Progress and Nest Update

Hello, thanks for stopping by for a visit.  Richard got the pillars and railings back up on the porch restoration project.  I missed them!  He also got all the flooring down, next will be to put a cedar stain and finish on it.  I think the cedar wood is beautiful.  I hope the finish won't diminish it's character.


Today Richard is going to build new stairs down to the brick walkway.  He's off to the lumber yard to buy the materials.  I'm so happy we're getting this done!  We also need to buy a new porch swing as the old one is rather flimsy and aged.  But where do you buy a porch swing?  Google to the rescue.  :-)


We also ordered 2 new easy chairs (I'm not fond of the term "recliner" LOL!) so I bit the bullet and excavated my "nest" in preparation for their arrival.  I will not shock you with a "before" photo.  I did not have the nerve to even TAKE one.  Suffice it to say - I had a jewelry making cabinet there which was rather tall and big, I also had a basket, on top of a basket with a wire basket for yarn on top of that.  So, out came all of that and the cabinet.  I went to Pier 1 Imports and found this nice little off-white painted cabinet with 3 basket drawers so I had a place to put my laptop computer and iPad between uses.  I have put my current crochet project in the top drawer and my cameras in the bottom drawer.  I actually laid awake for many hours last night wondering where I was going to put all the things that I removed from my "nest".  :-)  Now Dayle is feeling that it's time to work on HIS pile of "stuff" next to his chair.  :-)


I attached this little plexiglas remote holder on the side of the cabinet so I'd have easy access to my most used things, such as my crochet hook, sewing scissors and darning needle.  The other side will hold my pens and pencils.



And here is Hayden, our grandson, on his first day of school yesterday.  5th grade!  My how children grow fast.  



It's a swim day and I leave soon.  Have you done any changes in your relaxation space lately?  I highly recommend it!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

12 comments:

  1. You "nest" looks wonderful.

    Lots of new additions to our space and lots of rearranging going on as we figure out the best places for our things to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice "Easy Chair"! Isn't it refreshing to reorganize.
    Loving the porch. I bet the fragrance of cut wood is really nice.
    Soon it will be Autumn and the leaves will turn. I for one can;t wait for the cooler weather to begin. This heat is awful.
    Hayden looks pretty sharp for his first day of school. They really do grow up quickly!
    Hope you & yours are all happy & healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your organizational skills, maybe I will find a little cabinet like you have to put my laptop, etc. in. I am sitting in my new recliner now, and that word works for me. I think of easy chair as a comfy chair that doesn't move. As long as we are comfy we can call it what we want, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to work on my nest, Teresa. I love how you have organized the area to have things at your finger tips. I'm so happy to hear you are staining that beautiful cedar. Your contractor is doing a great job! Good luck for the coming year to your darling grandson. Our grands begin school after Labor Day. This summer has really flown by! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for all the building and organizational progress in your household! We are busy just keeping our packed spaces tidy, and we are looking forward to getting resettled into new spaces after the house sells. Hayden looks like he is primed and ready for a good school year and I hope he makes lots of great memories in 5th grade. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hayden looks ready and happy for school to begin. I have a similar photo of my Montana grandkids who began school today. Love your new chairs. Our Lazyboy recliners are 25 years old and will need replacing before long. They are so comfy we don’t want to get rid of them. Last year I got a new side table for by my chair. On it sits a little dish that holds knitting/crochet essentials and a cup that holds hooks and most used needles, it also has my Bible and my day planner. My projects are in a cloth basket like things with legs that sits right in front of the table.
    Your porch is looking wonderful. I adore porches and have always wanted another one, Our first house when we were married was 103 years old and had a wonderful porch with a swing. I still miss it and we moved away in 1986!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing! We also are replacing our veranda deck with cedar. Can't wait for this job to be done so we can enjoy the new look. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your porch is looking beautiful Teresa..there is nothing like real wood. You are very lucky to have Richard working for you. Good luck to Hayden..yes the years fly by ! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of your new deck and think the cedar finish will look great. Your house has so much 'character' - its lovely. Going red was the best thing. That new chair looks very comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is looking so grand! I can't wait to see it finished! What a clever idea to put a "holder" on the side of your stand. I'm going to steal that idea as I am forever rummaging around for a pen, scissors or a scrap of paper. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THe plexiglass holder is genius Teresa! Zach's teaching 6th grade Spanish. Your grandson looks awesome on first day of his 5th grade

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Teresa I was so sure I'd commented, I am losing the plot ! :-) I love that unit you bought for your 'nest' made me smile. I am like that. I also don't like the term recliner :-)
    Love your porch, may have said so before but I really do! Our grandsons have returned to school today, youngest for his first day at High School! I think he was nervous and excited all at the same time. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)