Monday, December 3, 2018

Nativity & Lithophanes

Greeting, dear readers.  I've been plugging along with my decorations.  To be honest it gives me a good opportunity to clear the decks of our furniture, do some waxing of antique cabinets and tables and to lovingly lay out my Christmas treasures.  The Nativity I have is by Jim Shore, who decorates his characters in the most colorful way, with quilt designs and scenic paintings.


We inherited a treasured Kasner family antique china cabinet. It has some neat carvings and curved glass. This nativity takes pride of place atop it.  



Dayle hung up one more section of icicle lights so they go all the way across and some colored lights too.  I have to say it's very difficult to photograph them.  This was near dusk but it looks quite light in the sky, but it wasn't.



And at night the colors wash out.. but trust me, it's pretty.  Now truth be told, I would have 8 kajillion lights over all the buildings but this is all Dayle will put up.  :-)


My seasoned (I didn't want to use the term "old") readers may recognize my little collection of "lithophanes", they are bisque porcelain candle lanterns that have scenes molded into the clay so when you light a tealight candle inside, a beautiful image glows.  This one has Santa on both sides.  



This one has 4 different scenes which is fun, want to see them?  You do?  Well... okay, if you insist.  This is Santa in his sleigh and a reindeer.



Then a pair of snowmen.



This must be the boy and girl who made the snowmen.


And finally a log cottage.  :-)  These are on the tv cabinet.



Here is my little marshmallow roasting baby animals.  A little polar bear, reindeer and a bunny.



Here is my beloved sleeping Santa.  When we were first married, I lent a woman an Aztec calendar to make a mold of for her plaster item hobby/business - it blew up - so in return she made this sleeping Santa and painted it for me.  And then I found these two sleeping mice to go with him.  :-)



We're watching Outlander, we love this series.  I enjoy the low decorations on this cabinet.  Dayle's giant tv dwarfs the decorations.. lol.



The tree is almost done, I need to find a taller person to put some on the very top.  :-)


Kristi (our DIL) is going through boxes as they get settled into their new home and she found a set of spice jars that were her father's.  They are Hummel children.  On the back of each jar is a story about the spice.  They came in a custom made spice rack, unfortunately it got lost.  Aren't they neat?


Now that we're in charge of cooking, Dayle has been cleaning the kitchen thoroughly and we're clearing the counters and other spaces.  It was time to upgrade our coffee grinder, so this is the new one.  The old one we had to grind and then empty into a jar, I thought that this one with the beans on top and receptacle on the bottom would mean we could get rid of one extra thing on the counter.  


Today I will be working on finishing the decorating in the living room, which means putting the Dept 56 North Pole Village on the piano top.  I have been suffering from a cold and bronchitis for a few weeks now so I haven't been able to do my lap swimming, but hope to be able to start back up either wed or fri.  But for now I'll burn calories cleaning and decorating.  :-)

Have a super week!  Thanks to those who take the time to leave a comment.. hugs to you.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

21 comments:

  1. This ' seasoned' reader loves seeing your treasures .I am trying to do chores here and there, still suffering with this wretched virus!
    I love Outlander. Hugs Anne X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Teresa, seeing your home brings me joy on a very gloomy Monday here. Im sorry you've been sick. Your night photo of your lights outside came out great. Sometimes those are difficult photographs. Those spice jars are beautiful. I've never seen such a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of a lithophane. They are beautiful. See? Now I learned something new today.

    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cosy and festive at your house, Teresa! I love your decorations and your beautiful collections. Sorry you have been ill...I hope you feel much better soon. I love to leave comments for you...but the one I left on your last post (on my ipad) seems to have disappeared completely unfortunately. Will make sure I come and comment via my pc. Take care and have a cosy week. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lithophanes are beautiful. It's fun to bring out treasures each year that have a memory attached to them isn't it. Sorry to hear you have been unwell, I've been out of action with a cold and bad cough in the middle of a heat wave here! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lithopanes... have never seen them before. They are beautiful. I like your red appliances. Your home looks beautiful, cozy and all ready for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope you are feeling better when you read this Teresa. As you know I love all of your decorations as you get ready for each and every one of celebrating. I sure am familiar with your xmas dectorations. Very little here as back to the city we will be lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teresa, you lithopanes are beautiful! Your husband did a nice job with your icicle lights across your front porch. It looks so magical and fun like a cottage in the Alps. The Hummel spice jars are beautiful. Such a pretty set. I love Hummels and have a collection myself. Enjoy your lovely tree as we draw near Christmas. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy reading and seeing your beautiful home in your pictures. You have great decorations for the seasons but Christmas is my favourite. I hope your are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Betsy --

    “I really like your lights. I have always enjoyed Christmas lights but we stopped putting them up a couple of years ago because our house is so tall and we have no young boys in our house anymore to help us put them up! . Now I enjoylooking at others in the neighborhood. Your decorations are also sweet. That sleeping Santa is one of my favorites that you have shown us before and your Jim Shore nativity is a beauty.
    The spice rack jars are very cute. I’m guessing they are fairly valuable too. Kristi needs to hold onto those. I hope you’re feeling much better very soon. I didn’t realize you were still so sick.
    Many blessings, Betsy”

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is so cozy, comforting, inviting. Those lithophanes and that nativity scene are really so lovely. And those spice jars, what a treasure they are. Sorry to hear you've been sick. Bronchitis can hang around too long if you aren't careful. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are making good progress! This seasoned reader enjoys seeing familiar decorations :) Glad you are starting to feel better! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those lithophanes are really pretty and I love the colour and design of your nativity. Your house has just the right exterior for Christmas, with it's red and white paintwork. A sprinkle of snow would set the scene perfectly! Sorry to hear that you've been under the weather and hope you are soon on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seasoned reader enjoying seeing the familiar lithophanes too they are gorgeous. So sorry to hear you have been unwell, wishing you a speedy recovery. You are blessed with a beautiful, warm and inviting home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those lithophanes are so cool. Don't believe I've heard of them before. Everything looks so festive and pretty Teresa! Hope you are feeling better each day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is looking beautiful Teresa. I love seeing your decs each year. Kristi's spice jars as so unusual and really lovely, what treasure. We have the trees up with lights but no time yet to put on anything, we're hoping to get them done later this week. Enjoy your cleaning and clearing and get well soon. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your decorations are so beautiful! I enjoy the many very different treasures and the history/stories about them. Your adventures around Oregon are fun for me to read especially since my brother lived in Portland and some of the sights are a little familiar to me. It brings great memories back to me. Thanks for your enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog, I am so looking forward to reading it, your decorations are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A nice collection of interesting Christmas decorations! Wherever did you get your bubble lights? My grandma had them in a candelabra looking holder and I always loved them. Wish they had something like that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the bubble light centerpiece here:

      https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/triple-bubble-light-candolier/product/76698

      Delete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)