Monday, January 14, 2019

Productive Weekend

Greetings!  How was your weekend?  I feel ours was very constructive.  I got some crocheting done and also some housekeeping.  I'm happy that my tulips are hanging in there.  :-)


It's always fun to take a photo of the center of a tulip.  :-)



I'm happy that they had mixed colors.



We've been having sunshine, but with the sun we are having blasting strong winds, gusts up to 60 mph, they even have a name for it.. it's called the "East Wind".  



I had many hours of happy crocheting on my Sweet Pea blanket.. so a feeling of accomplishment when you complete a 2 row color stripe and can add in a new color.. you're building a blanket.


Crocheting a blanket in the winter has double goodness.. it keeps your lap warm while you work.


The housekeeping occurred behind my chair that sits in front of this bay window.  It was dusty and needed a good cleaning.  I asked my grandson, 18 year old Michael who lives with us, if he'd reach back into the bay window and give it a wash down.  He handed me the antique lantern hanging there and I took it into the kitchen and gave it a good dusting and wash-up and cleaned the glass chimney.  This is the "after" photo.. all clean!


I got this lantern many many years ago.  I think I read a classified ad and called the lady and went to look at it.  I fell in love and brought it home.  I remember that the woman had fallen on hard times and was having to sell her treasures to stay afloat.  


These lamps are called "country store" or "saloon" lamps.  What is fun is you see them often in old movies, I actually saw them in a Marilyn Monroe movie "The River of No Return".. that's when I saw them for the first time.  I took this photo of the top of the lantern workings when I had it apart to clean.



This is the neat detail on the screw top where you fill the lamp with oil.



Recently I noticed an ad on the Facebook "Corbett Un-stuff" group, someone was selling an antique cast iron door stop for $5.  She dropped it off yesterday.  Isn't this cute?  I have 2 other cast iron doorstops, one is an off-white terrier that looks like Buddy and then one of two black Scotties.  So, with 3 I guess you could call it a collection.  :-)  I fell in love with the kitties and the basket and of course the yarn.


Last thing to show you, this is one of the little houses that I painted.  I hired a friend of mine who did woodwork to cut some 2x4s into these shapes for me and I painted them in different little houses and shops.


Well.. I'm in a rush, have to get ready for my DAR meeting.  Have a super week!!
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

25 comments:

  1. It was lovely to see all the colour and sunshine in your post Teresa! How pretty the glass vases look in the light there, and your tulips are still looking beautiful. Sorry about those strong winds though....keep cosy! XxX

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a very cozy and colourful weekend Teresa. Keep snug under your beautiful growing blanket. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa, It's lovely to see a photo of you working on your blanket, your vases in the window go so well with your blanket too. I love tulips and the colours never fail to please the eye. The lamp story was interesting, thank you for sharing. It's good to give our treasures a bit of a clean up and remember where they came from. Take care Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post filled with so much eye candy!! So many pretty things!! Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bubble vases caught me eye right away

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lantern is beautiful! Will it stand on its own if you don't hang it?

    My grandparents had a cast iron donkey as a doorstop. We had a brass American Quarterhorse with a western saddle that we used as a doorstop. It had a clock in it's base, so it wasn't REALLY a doorstop but since the clock didn't work, my dad used it to prop open the door to our playroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely bright home you have Teresa.

    Your little wooden florist shop is adorable.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your week Teresa. Love all of your ornaments/doorstops ♥♥ Getting to over 40 here the next few days HOT>>> xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love seeing your crochet talent. I don't have it, so I admire yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cheery post, Teresa! Your lantern is gorgeous! As well as the doorstop--5 dollars is a bargain for sure! Those cast iron things are really expensive on the east coast. Your hobnail vases in the window caught my eye. So pretty. Have a good week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collection of vases on the window sill are beautiful. Enjoy your hooky time, I'm loving seeing this blanket grow. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blanket is really coming along, I really love the colors. I have a doorstop similar to your cat one. I bought it for my daughter many years ago. I love your little florist shop, you are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Monday Teresa, it looks like you had a good weekend. I’ve always admired that lamp when I’ve seen it in photos, and also when we visited your house. I love the nooks and crannies in your farmhouse, like the bay window.

    The little kitten doorstop is so cute and so is the wood block that you painted. You have so many talents my friend. I’ve also been changing colors every two rows on the corner to corner crochet blanket I making. It’s so bright and happy. It’s strange , because the “mystical lanterns”blanket had the same exact colors in them and it seemed too busy to me and to Dennis too. But this seems just right. I hope you had a good time swimming.

    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blimey, your blanket is growing quickly! You'll be finished in no time. I need to get some door stops, our kids are forever slamming the doors and when they are not, the draft will. I have never seen such cute ones! Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blankets are a real delight to crochet in the cooler months giving some extra comfort of warmth. Yours is coming along nicely and goes so well with those delightful glass vases. Loved the oil lantern looks wonderful in your beautiful bay window.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to read your news. All looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your lantern - so pretty! (Really like your bamboo shades as well.) Gosh your blanket gets prettier every time I see it - nice job! how many "buildings" are you painting. You can have a little village set up!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cast iron door stops! The kitten one is especially cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like January spring cleaning has reached your corner. Lovely to see the sunshine in your photos. Thank goodness for Lucy’s blankets otherwise this corner would be very greeeeeeyyyyyy! B x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet idea your little florist store is. Here craftspeople use the children's wooden block sets that have squares, rectangles, triangles, etc. to paint and create buildings. Some are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So enjoyed seeing your blanket, tulips, kitties and lantern. Am at airport waiting to get on flight 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,Love your house,sooo cosy and full of love it ooozes.I love Tulips too they are so pretty and beautiful colours,my fav flowers are poppies and sunflowers tho.That Lantern is just Divine and looks great in that window.Can't believe you have done so much of Lucy's blanket already,looking good.I wanted to do it but have too much on already.Happy 2019.xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait til the tulips bloom on the farm near me. Going out there again this year and take good photos with my camera....early morning hopefully! Nice clean room...always refreshing and I like your lantern. Very pretty! I've got a crocheted blanket over my legs while sitting at my desk with my laptop! Cold legs most of the day! Week's gone quickly and I'm getting a few things done. Good to be off earlier 2x a week now! Get a few things done in town when I need it! Chilly week and rain tonight! Blessings my friend! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Sweet Pea blanket is looking great. I was tempted to follow along with this blanket, but have so many unfinished projects, I couldn't justify it. I'm now having second thoughts! I would also seriously love to sneek those gorgeous hobnail vases home with me! xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)