Monday, March 25, 2019

Springtime Weekend

We had a nice sunny warmish weekend here.  It was busy, we had our two younger grandsons spend the weekend with us.  They helped rake the yard a bit but mostly had fun playing video games with their older cousin.  I did some crochet catch-up as I had to rip out several rows as I found I'd made an error that could not stay -- I did 3 rows of half-double crochet which threw off my counts for everything else... rip rip rip.  


So.. I got all the ripped out yarn/thread re-crocheted and then went on further.. I'm enjoying the ombre effect of the colors melting into each other. 



I also removed my collection of US Navy Wardroom china from the china cabinet so I could put in my new green art deco dishes.  I can't believe how much of this china that:  1.  I had. and 2. I had stuffed in there.


I got interested in these dishes when I visited a friend in California and he had a small set of these he used for everyday dishes.  They are from WWI & II and even the Vietnam era and were used on ships out at sea for the sailors and officers in the Ward Room (dining hall on the ships).  They are heavy made like restaurant dishes and since I was a sailor with my own sailboat and lived on a houseboat I thought they were appropriate.  I actually bought a big set from eBay and kind of had too many.  LOL!  To give you an idea of the historic nature of these dishes - they have brought up ones just like this in Pearl Harbor in Hawaii from the Navy ships that were sunk during the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941.  I've put some of these for sale on Facebook Marketplace.. but I have a feeling I won't find a buyer as most people don't even know about them.  :-)



So, when I had the cabinet cleared on that shelf I dusted it and got the "new" vintage dishes in.  I did the crochet lace for the china cabinet not long after I got it.. now long ago.  I realize from the photo that I have it backwards and will need to turn it around.  :-)



Friday was fun as my blog friend Gracie invited me and our other friend Taci for lunch at her new home.  She has it decorated beautifully and we had such a nice lunch of salad with chicken, avocado and fresh baked baguette.  Taci had to head back to work but I stayed on and Gracie and I got caught up on our news.  Thank you, Gracie!!  (Note: I took my finished Sweet Pea blanket to show the girls, it's on Gracie's lap.)



Our daffodils are out in full force now.. I just need to pick a bouquet soon.


We had a big scare yesterday.  Mocha has taken to bolting out the back door when people go in and out.. which she did again yesterday.. the boys ran after her to catch her so she raced out into the busy road that goes by our house and was nearly hit by a car within a few inches.  She ran like a rocket up the road, our 2 younger grandsons waving traffic to slow down while Michael, our 18 year old grandson sprinted after her and finally caught her a quarter mile up the road.  Our son drove his truck to chase her down too.  I was a nervous wreck and so was Dayle.  We're looking into an "invisible fence" or something to fix the issue.  SHEESH!!

How was your weekend?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

18 comments:

  1. Is that a Sweet Pea blanket on your friend’s lap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geeze - so glad your puppy is ok. Your shawl is look so pretty Teresa - that is going to be an awesome garment for Spring-time and beyond. Interesting dishes - I had never heard of those Wardroom dishes. Your green vintage ones look lovely in your cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine the terror you all must have felt chasing after Mocha. I know it's not ideal but an invisible electric fence might be needed to keep her safe.
    Congrats to Gracie on her new home. It sure looks very inviting and so cozy.
    Loving all the daffodils popping up around town and in our yards. They always make me smile with their happy yellow colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that Mocha is okay. That is scary!!!

    We used to worry about that with Giroux. When we first got him he was BAD for sneaking out an open door. Thankfully, he outgrew the "door dash" phase. Hope Mocha does too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is looking just beautiful. You might have more luck than you think with your dishes. I think the navy and white is really nice and a lot of people like the chunky, diner-style dishes. Good luck! I'm sure your were beside yourselves when Mocha got out. We're so lucky that we have a breezeway that contains the dogs when they go out the door, and then they go right out the back door of the breezeway into a fenced-in area for them. Our neighbors across the street have an invisible fence and they swear by it. Thank goodness she didn't get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...my heart nearly stopped reading about Mocha. I am so glad she is safe.

    The shawl is going to be beautiful when it's finished.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much news in this post. I’m glad that all of the boys got to be together for the weekend. I think that’s really important and I’m sorry our children missed out on that when we moved away from family.

    And a huge scare with little Mocha! I’m SO glad it all worked out well and that and the boys were able to find her. An invisible fence sounds like a wonderful idea to me.

    I have a lot of interest in those dishes as my dad was a World War II Navy veteran. I think they’re pretty neat. Good luck selling them on Facebook marketplace. I’ve been able to sell several things on there myself. It’s a fun site to browse isn’t it?

    And finally, boo-hoo! I missed out on another luncheon. Gracie’s new place looks so warm and cozy. I can just imagine the chatter going on while you shared your food and all of your beautiful makes. I miss you all.

    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo glad Mocha is ok! I remember how awful it was when our Border Collie, Lady, got loose and dashed down the street away from us. As you know this Saylor admires your Ward Room dishes. I still have not explored Facebook Marketplace but hope you find a buyer for your dishes there. Thanks so much for the good visit we had on Friday, for linking to my blog in this post, and for leaving me with sweet Flora Bunny who is happily admiring the craft room at the moment :) When I was out driving today, I got so excited seeing the Daffodils and flowering trees! I got home just before it started raining in earnest and am glad to be cozy and staying warm inside! Hope you and yours are warm and cozy, too. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad Mocha is okay. What a scare for you all! I love the story of your dishes and I can't wait to see the finished shawl. The colours look amazing. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you got Mocha back safely! What a worrying time! Loved seeing your beautiful new shawl and your big china collection...I rather like the anchors on the plates! And how nice you visited Gracie in her new home...lovely to see her there! Have a wonderful week Teresa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh Teresa, how scary that Mocha made a bolt for it! I am so glad nothing happened. You shawl is looking so pretty. I love you art deco china...I live in a 1930s house and love everything from that period. Enjoy your sunny days. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thrilled that Mocha was found safe and sound, some sort of fencing is probably a good idea. Love those Ward Room dishes, a real delight. How nice to catch up with Gracie and Taci, nice to know she is settled into her new home. Love the colours of the shawl, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear Teresa. That was a terrible scare. Our trainer had us whistle train huck . It was fun. We bought whistle. We would hide very obviously and blow the whistle. when Huck found us he got a big reward of liver sausage. We did this every day for 3 weeks. By the end the kids were hiding in the shower and he's still find them. The liver sausage makes them salivate. After 3 weeks if you blow the whistle, they WILL coming running to you ! That's one idea for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at this shawl, it is pure amazing. The colours are blending wonderfully and are just making me happy. How lovely to meet up with your blog friends, such a privilege to have blog friends close by. I a so glad Mocha is ok. I know how you must have felt... so so worried and scared. Not that long ago, Jack disappeared into a badger set and didn't come back out for nearly 20 minutes. I was sure we'd lost him. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to see Gracie in her new home. Your new green china looks lovely in its new home. Enjoy the sunshine :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy that Mocha is safe and sound. I'm sure that scared you all! Love seeing your pretty daffodils and your ward room dishes. My sister had a few of them. They are quite sturdy and I think lovely. Nice to see your friend Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good lord how scary re Mocha, your poor hearts would have been beating fast. Glad all ok and lovely you got to go to Gracies ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gracie's new home looks wonderful, so inviting. Glad you were able to get together with Taci, she is missed in blogland. What a scare about Mocha! Your heart must have been racing like mad. Love your shawl, it is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)