Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Farewell to a Beloved Sister

We lost my older sister this morning.  It was unexpected and a shock.  She had a severe heart attack on Sunday night and was in the ICU getting care.  But half her heart was too damaged and she passed away at 3 am this morning.  She was such a positive and happy person and we did so much together.  She will be missed.


She and I shared the love of adventure and water and each had our own Sunfish sailboats.  Our family all got on board and we had 6 in our little fleet.  This is Roberta with her only granddaughter, Ava.


There were 4 of us, twins Robert and Roberta, then me, and Denise the youngest.


If you want to hear all about her, I'm including the obituary I spent the day writing and researching the dates and details.


๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน


Roberta Lea Shaklee Mills passed away on July 24, 2019 surrounded by her beloved husband Teddy and sons Cliff and Derrick.  She was 76 years old.  She had a severe heart attack late on Sunday night and was in the care of the ICU at Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital.

Roberta was born in Watonga Hospital in Oklahoma on September 27, 1942 to Betty Lea Woldridge Shaklee and Wallace Winston Shaklee.  Her beloved twin brother Robert Shaklee was born first and she was born second.  They were the first 2 of 4 children.

Roberta and her mom, dad and 6 week old baby Teresa were in their 2 room house in Oklahoma when it was hit by a tornado when she was 6 years old.  The house was blown over and demolished while they were inside and they were rescued by the bravery of their father, Wally.  

Roberta and her family lived in Watonga, Oklahoma until she was 12 years old when the family moved to Oregon in 1953 to start a new life.  

Roberta was very proud of being tapped by the National Honor Society in HS.  She was on the cheerleading squad, the song team and was elected Homecoming Queen in her senior year at McMinnville High School.  Her positive attitude and perky personality made her fun to be around.

She met Teddy Mills when she was 18, they fell in love and got married in the family home in McMinnville on November 17, 1961.  Roberta enjoyed raising her two sons and served as their Cub Scout leader.

Roberta began working at The Oregonian in the Classified Ad department, Teddy worked in the mail room.  Her father was The Oregonian distributer in McMinnville when his children were young, her brother Robert worked at “The O” while attending college at PSU, her sister Teresa worked in Ad Service and both of her sons worked in the mail room.

When Roberta retired, she began many years of service, volunteering in many organizations, serving as president, treasurer and board member and volunteer of many groups.  Her first was with the Milwaukie Historical Society.  Then she joined the Milwaukie Garden Club which she was with for decades.

Roberta volunteered for the Friends of Vista House while her sister Teresa was the Executive Director there in the 1980s. She was a charter member of the Friends of Multnomah Falls and volunteered in the Visitors Center.  

Roberta found out from her Uncle Bill Shaklee that she was eligible to join the Daughters of the American Revolution and joined Portland Chapter NSDAR in 1999. When she was filling out her papers to join she encouraged her sister Teresa to join with her, which she did.  They were dedicated DAR members for 2 decades, serving in many offices - Roberta was Regent (president) of Portland Chapter followed by her sister serving in the position.  They attended the DAR Continental Congress in Washington DC on 2 occasions.  While in DC they visited Shaklee family in Annapolis and went on to visit Nantucket where they found they descend from the founding owners of the Island, via Tristram Coffin, and stayed in their ancestor Jared Coffin House while there.  The offices she held in DAR are as follows.  Chapter Treasurer May 2015-May 2017, District 1 Director  Jul 2010-Jun 2012, Chapter Honorary Regent Jan 2007, Chapter Regent Jun 2005-Jul 2007, Chapter Vice Regent May 2003-Jun 2005

Roberta and Teddy have attended annual Oregonian Retirees group luncheons since their retirement.  Roberta also joined the Red Hat Society and attended luncheons and outings with them. Roberta also organized many McMinnville High Graduation Class of 1960 luncheons and meetings over the years.

Roberta and  Teddy enjoyed going to car shows and cruise-ins, winning awards and trophies with his beloved yellow and black racing striped 1969 Mach 1 Mustang.  They also joined a Mall Walkers group and made many new friends there.

Roberta’s sister Teresa joined the Portland Women’s Forum association who saved the famous viewpoint from being privately developed. Roberta and sister Denise also joined and the three sisters enjoyed attending meetings together for several years.

Roberta was always an amazing, beautiful and fashionable lady who made friends wherever she went.  She was active until the end, canoeing, camping, sailing and traveling.

30 years ago, Roberta found Waldo Lake, a place for her siblings and their children to camp.  Each year all four of the siblings, spouses, children and grandchildren and friends would travel to the lake and have a family reunion while camping for a few weeks, canoeing, sailing her beloved Sunfish sailboat with her siblings, a fleet of 6 sailboats between them. She loved swimming in “Amy’s Blue Lagoon”.   

Roberta bought a lot at Fishhawk Lake and had a beautiful house built where she would invite her friends and family to come and stay.  She decorated it in rustic lake style and Teddy and she would go there to enjoy several days many times during the year.  

Roberta is survived by her husband Teddy, twin brother Robert Shaklee, sisters Teresa Shaklee Kasner, Denise Shaklee Hawke, sons Derrick and his wife Tish and Cliff Mills and his wife Tami, grandchildren Ava Mills and Kyle Blair, his wife Christy and great-grandson Richard Blair.
She was preceded in death by both parents.

46 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I lost my husband suddenly almost 8 years ago and I think I'm still reeling from the shock.

    What a wonderful obituary! Reading it, I wish I had known your sister and certainly wished we lived closer so we could meet for coffee and laughter.


    You'll be in my prayers, for peace and strength.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest condolences to you and your beautiful family. Beautiful words that you have written. Gone but certainly not forgotten. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    May all your memories be a comfort.
    Sending tons of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, was so sorry to hear the news about Roberta. I know you must be devastated. She was a vibrant and friendly woman and I feel honored that I got to meet her.
    You wrote a wonderful tribute to her life which was full and well-lived. Thank you for sharing it with us all.
    Much love to you my friend. Huge hugs too.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa....I am so very sorry for your loss.

    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Teresa such a wonderful post on your much loved sister Roberta
    I have fond memories of many shares you did. May my love to you all
    be felt from me in Oz xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Teresa, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you dear Teresa, my sincere condolences to all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My deepest condolences for your family's loss; your sister will be greatly missed by all those that loved and knew her. My prayers to you and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Teresa, I am so sorry for your loss. I have just lost my N.Z. sister in law. Take time to be kind to yourself. Regards, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knowing and enjoying Roberta through you is a dear part of my relationship with you, Teresa. Thanks for introducing me to her. As those who loved her celebrate her life and mourn the loss of her here on earth, I am asking the Lord for His comfort. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, sending my sincere condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teresa, I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news, you and your family are in my thoughts today. Roberta sounds like a wonderful woman who had a full and happy life and gave back to the world, such a sad loss. Hugs to you my friend, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss. Your tribute to her is beautiful. Prayers to you and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Teresa, I am very sorry to hear about your sister. I hope that sharing happy memories will comfort you and your family during this difficult time. I know from reading your blog that you have a strong family that will pull together to help each other with this loss. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending you and all your family my deepest condolences, I am so sorry for the loss of such a special sister. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry for your loss, Teresa. You both inspire me with your lives of fun and service.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my sincerest heartfelt condolences, Teresa. No words I can express will help fill the void left by your sister. Take time to remember her. Hugs back to you;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such sad news, you will surely miss her. Fascinating to read her obituary. I’m thinking of you. B x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, dear Teresa, I felt something was wrong when you missed your regular days. I am so, so sad for you and your family. But I am also very glad for all the many good times you had with your dear sister and hope those precious memories will help lift your heart. The obituary you penned is a wonderful tribute to someone so special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So very sorry for the loss of your dear sister Roberta.....you shared so much throughout your lives I know she will be much missed. Sending you love and hugs dear Teresa and my deepest condolences XXX

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thinking of you at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So very sorry for the loss of your dear sister. We will miss seeing her smiling face on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to hear this news Teresa. From what you have written, she sounded an amazing woman. She certainly had an amazing smile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Teresa, I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved sister. My prayers are with you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Teresa, I am so, so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved sister Roberta. My deepest sympathy to you and all of her family. You wrote a beautiful tribute to her and I know it was a labor of love. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so sad to read of the loss of your dear sister. You have written a beautiful obituary for her memory. Sending my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Teresa, I am so very sorry to read of your sister's sudden passing. Sending you blessings of peace and comfort during this difficult time. Lots of hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Teresa I am so sad to read this. Condolences to you all. She sounded a wonderful lady and I know you loved her deeply. I hope the wonderful memories will comfort you. Hugs. Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Teresa, I'm so very, wery sorry for the loss of your sister! Your beautiful words about her life tell us the story of a wonderful soul who gave – and received – great love. May Roberta rest in eternal peace. Blessings and prayers to you and your family. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so sorry to read this Teresa. How very sad. Sending lots of love to you and your dear family at such a sad time. Take each day at a time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Teresa, I can't imagine how you are all feeling right now and I'm so sorry for the loss of someone who was so loved by you. Thank you for your words and bringing to life for the rest of us someone who was such an extraordinary person. I know that you are blessed with a beautiful and amazing family who will help each other through this time. Many, many hugs. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Querida Teresa, lamento mucho tu perdida....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Teresa ~ I've enjoyed your blog for some time now, & wanted to extend my sincere condolences on the loss of your sister. Sending you many prayers of peace & love at this difficult time. My Sissy is everything to me, & I truly know you will see her again.
    Amanda Fullerton

    ReplyDelete
  35. most sincere condolences- may you and all the family find peace and comfort in happy memories of your times with your sister- what a lovely lady she was!
    regards-
    barb in texas

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Teresa, I am so, so sorry for your loss. I am sending you love as I have no words to say during this horrible time.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So sorry to hear of the passing of your sister. Sending my condolences and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh Teresa, My heart just breaks for you. A sister who is so loved, now far away. Im so sorry . Big hugs to you. Big hugs to Dayle as IM sure half his life he knew her too! Hang in there, Teresa and be good to you. OH gosh. So much to deal with this year, Teresa. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. She sounds like a wonderful person who will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Teresa, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am so sorry Teresa and I am sad with you. Roberta sounds like a wonderful woman and she touched many people with her love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Teresa..I am very saddened to learn of the loss of your dear sister...we all know how much you love and adore your siblings and entire family...my sincere condolences and prayers of comfort are sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thought and love to you and your family. Losing someone you love is so hard. xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. i am desperately sorry to read your news Teresa, my heart aches for you and your loss. I hope you can take one day at a time and hold onto the many good memories you have of your time together over the years. Love and hugs, always, from the Attic xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. So sorry to hear of the loss of your sister Teresa,my sincere condolences to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)