Monday, August 5, 2019

☮ Catching Up, Birds, Flowers and Activism ☮

Greetings fellow Earthlings.  I am back.  I spent all last week writing my sister's obituary, making a funeral notice, writing a eulogy to deliver at her memorial service and finally scanning photos of her life, enhancing and cropping and uploading into PowerPoint and selecting music to go with it.  Then on Saturday our family gathered at the River View Cemetery for the burial, then to the chapel for the service.  My brother Robert spoke first, telling about being twins with Roberta and all their exploits from birth through high school.  I shared my memories of her life, I was nervous but did it for my sister.  A reception followed with hugs from all the friends she made over the years.  We gave her a proper send off.  She was loved by many.

I will now show you what's going on around the old farm place.  The apples on the tree are turning red, we're fully into August and time marches on.


We got a few more bird feeders to keep up with the demand by our avian friends.  Most of our visitors are these pretty Goldfinches.  


We also get a few rarer birds, this one is a Black Headed Grosbeak.  I got this with my big Lumix camera and sent it to my friend Shirley to identify.


We sit on the deck and watch the birds and fish and it brings us peace.


I was looking for something the other day and came across a Ziploc bag with some old photos from when I was 12 and had climbed Dog Mountain while a Girl Scout at Camp Wind Mountain in Washington.  


I also found this photo of me, a young mother, hippie chick, at our booth at Saturday Market, selling beaded chokers I'd made and macrame plant hangers and keychains.  See the playpen in the back?  We took the kids with us. Dayle made wood mirrors to sell, too.  Oh the good old days.


On July 20th our country celebrated the 50th anniversary of our moon landing.  I had a friend I met in Hawaii, Loa, she invited me to New Orleans to enjoy Mardi Gras and to stay with her parents with her.  They both worked at Boeing which made parts for the Nasa space ships and were given two of these coins.  They gave us one.  Isn't that amazing?


The back of the coin tells more.. it's really something.


I made another bracelet, using faceted Ethiopian opal beads.



I potted this pretty coleus and am enjoying watching it grow.



The deck, flowers, fish and birds are helping me heal.



The aroma of the Jasmine is a balm for my spirit.


The sound of the water soothes...


My darling granddaughter Paige is in the cheer squad and they had a cheer camp this summer.  Aren't they adorable?


I love the pure joy in this photo!


I just finished this book and it was very good.  I can recommend it.


NOW... to what is happening right now.  This weekend there were two more horrific mass murders committed, one by a white supremacist terrorist and a the second by another homegrown murderous terrorist.  They used military style assault rifles designed to kill the most people the fastest.  Something needs to be done NOW.  The worst part is there WAS an assault rifle ban and President Bush let it lapse.  President Obama tried to re-instate it but it was blocked by a Republican controlled Senate.  The National Rifle Assoc. is PAYING those people NOT to let a ban go into effect.  If you want to see less mass murders by a bunch of losers who are full of hate - then VOTE.  Elect people who CARE about us.  Not ones who just want to line their pockets with NRA and Russian money.  

OK.. I love you all.. please be safe and be careful.
((hugs)), Teresa 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Teresa and showing us some of the beautiful birds and flowers and sights around you. The bead bracelet is pretty and the cheering looks joyful indeed. I am glad you are finding many ways to actively enjoy and cheer for life even during this time of loss. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You delivered a lovely eulogy, Teresa. Thank you for the update. A time of peace and healing is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You delivered a lovely eulogy, Teresa. Thank you for the update. A time of peace and healing is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as though you all made a beautiful job of the funeral. Love the photos of you, so nice to see a different part of your life The moon landing coin is amazing, what a thing to treasure. Your garden is looking beautiful, and so good to see so many birds enjoying it. Nature is indeed so very soothing. The photos of Paige are lovely. I was so saddened to see more mass shootings. And angry that those with the power choose not to use it to ban gun ownership. Their excuses are feeble. Well done for speaking out. Sending you a hug. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa, I'm glad to see your post today. I know last week was a very difficult one for you and I'm sure that you all had a beautiful memorial for Roberta. I also know how much you're going to miss her. I will keep you in my prayers my friend.
    The photos from around the farm are beautiful and serene and I thank you for sharing them with all of us. Paige looks as though she is having the time of her life.
    Thinking of you my friend.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for speaking out Teresa, seems many people have lost steam after all that horrible things that have happened in the last two and a half years. We are becoming immune to all that is said and done every single day. Immune and just plain worn out. Thank you for speaking out and thank you for loving your family the way you do. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to have a post from you Teresa. I am hoping you are now finding some peace and are able to heal from your recent losses. Loved seeing the older pictures (hippy chick that you were...and still are!!). Your bird photos are gorgeous. Take care of you (and Dayle).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to read about your sister's passing. Sending you healing waves for peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Teresa. I have been thinking of you. It sounds as though your sister was given a wonderful 'send off' as they say.
    Love all
    the photos but especially enjoyed seeing you as a youngster and a hippie chick :-)
    My Auntie used to grow that same plant, took cuttings passed them onto us all. Then suddenly they seemed to fail. I have tried to find another one for her but had no luck as yet!
    I was deeply saddened and shocked by the shootings - maybe I'd best not comment on your leader/s. I do feel so sad at times when I think of what the future will hold for my grandchildren and their children.
    Take care Teresa. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funerals are so sad but so good for thefamily! Bless you as you grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grieving takes time, but the love of your family will help. You have a beautiful home and garden, you obviously take good care of it all.
    As for the mass shootings - words fail me. It will take decades, if not centuries, to change the mindset of a "gun-culture" but that surely is no reason not to try. How many lives have to be lost before the powers-that-be change things? I weep for your country. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those birds Teresa and much love for Roberta you did a wonderful thing. Sorry so bad over there. Love from us xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure you did your sister proud. Saying goodbye to our loved ones is so difficult. Your photos are beautiful. I agree with you about the shootings... we need to make changes and a good start is to vote out those who are resisting the change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. well said Teresa. Your last paragraph. Hugs from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are grieving together......I lost my youngest son this past month and my 2 - 14 year old dogs/friends. Grief takes it's own time....and I find it can grab you unawares out of no where. I agree with you about the evil that persists in our country and others. It seems no one has any backbone to stand up against these organizations and their greed. I always vote but I have never voted republican and I doubt if I ever will at this point.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)