Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Late Summer Blooms

I recently inherited this bread box from my friend Sally's heir.  Sally had a red breadbox with a rooster on it when she was a child and had always wanted one, so Dallas found a woman on Etsy who found the vintage tin box and custom painted it for her and surprised her with it on her 72nd birthday.  It will have pride of place in our kitchen.


The flap on top goes up and I will put my muffins in there and the bottom flap opens where I'll put the loaves of bread.


I am deliberately appreciating the flowers blooming on the deck and in the yard, knowing summer is so fleeting and time is marching on and soon we'll be having pumpkins out there.


August is Oregon's most dependable month for pleasant, even hot weather.  



My shamrock plants did so well out on the deck last year that I put them out a while back, the sun fried what was left and I was worried, but new growth has emerged and they both look wonderful, the green and dark red one.



All the geraniums that Dayle winters over in our basement landing are doing well, too.



Our one hollyhock is growing up next to the flower basket which it's leaning on.. kind of fun.



My favorite spot for enjoying the birds, waterfalls and pond and the koi fish.



A shout out to my blog friend Meredith and her sister Claudia, Mere was gifted a sheep pot and I loved it so much I found one and purchased it, and Claudia has shown her ZZ plant, and I'd been wanting one for a while and just found one to buy.  It's a Zamioculcas zamiifolia, a tropical perennial plant native to eastern Africa, from Kenya south to northeastern South Africa.  I will plant the ZZ plant in a bigger pot and find something just right for the sheep planter.  :-)



One of my Rose of Sharon plants is in bloom.. what a pretty flower, so much like a hibiscus!


Our big pot of Stargazer Lilies is bringing much visual joy and fragrance to our yard.



I had to show you this little survivor, it's a little petunia coming up and blooming in our brick walkway.  A volunteer.


A most magnificent flower.. I had them in my wedding bouquet and on our wedding cake and I even named our sailboat Stargazer.



I ordered some gladiola bulbs a few years ago and Kristi planted them for me in front of the deck of the garden shed.  We have 3 color varieties in bloom right now.  


Above a dark pink and yellow one, below a lighter pink one.


And a true red one, wow.


I like this shot with the barn and windmill in the background.


I am taking this week to rest and recover from so many losses of my loved ones.  I hope you are having a nice week wherever you are on this spinning globe we all share.
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 


17 comments:

  1. Teresa I would love to come and sit with you on your deck and enjoy all the beautiful flowers you have. You certainly have a green thumb. Thank you for the wonder pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Teresa, thanks for sharing your beautiful photos of your beautiful flowers, and Sally's bread box and the neat sheep pot, and the stories about them that make each special. Someone kindly tended my flowers last week while I was camping, but my green Shamrock plant is now a fourth of the size it was when I left. Seeing how your Shamrocks are thriving after frying gives me hope my plant can thrive again, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing those flowers on your deck. You have such a pretty place and I adore the pond. I admit that I am looking forward to fall. It has been hot and dry here. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special gift that bread box is! Your flowers are beautiful and your yard looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa, I love the breadbox. What a special gift it is. I used to have one but somewhere, during one of our moves it went missing. I still miss having it. That sheep planter is so cool. I saw Merediths too and thought it was very cute. Of course, I love anything with sheep on it. Your flowers are all so pretty. It's been awfully hot here this week. Today it hit 102 on our back deck. In the shade! The air is so smokey you can hardly breathe. We went up to check on the trailer because the biggest fire isn't more than 10 miles away from there. Ash was falling like a snow shower. We were only there about 5 minutes because the air was so bad and we didn't have masks. Dennis' truck was completely covered in ash during that short time! We never used to have fires like this. It's frustrating to see all of the damage and have our summers ruined too.
    I hope you get some much needed rest this week and recuperate a bit from the stress of the past weeks. I've been praying for you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do have a wonderful talent with plants - I envy you! That breadbox is lovely, so nice to have things in your home that hold special memories of those we love. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep strong. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely abundance of beauty in your garden Teresa. I hope you get some rest and time to reflect on the past few weeks. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued by the pink Rose of Sharon, they are always yellow here. Everything is looking so beautiful in your garden. I've found over the last few years that August tends to be very mixed weather-wise here. Lots of wind and showers in the forecast at the moment. I hope you have a restful week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Teresa your garden is always amazing to me ❤❤ But we are away so much so gardens dont happen. You are an oaisis i can visit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have certainly surrounded yourself with nature's beauty! What a peaceful retreat you and your family have created. Thanks for sharing, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yard is so gorgeous with all the flowers. I too had much loss this past month..my son and my 2 old dogs....I've been working hard and staying busy and that helps along with a strong faith. Your breadbox is so pretty and the pond must give you much peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty bread box! We keep all our bread in the frig as it goes bad if we don't. I hate that! I'd rather have it at room temp. Your property/deck is so inviting Teresa - love all your plants and the bunting. It is just so, so pretty. Hope you continue to take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you found some peace at that lovely pond side vista. Grief is such hard work. You know that you must be very good to you . You also have Dayle's surgery coming and the nurse will have to pull some long shifts. Im praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are finding peace in the beauty of nature dear Teresa. Such lovely flowers all around you and a gorgeous place to sit and feel soothed by your surroundings. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bread box is pretty. Color goes with your barn! Sorry for the loss of your sister Roberta! Your flowers are pretty. I need to give my flowers some plant food as some haven't bloomed well this year. It rained here yesterday a.m.and looked a bit wet this a.m. when I got up. Take care my friend. Hugs and prayers. 💜🌷

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love volunteer plants. Sent you a card yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Teresa the bread bin is delightful. I am so pleased you have so many beautiful things around you at this time.I can sense your grief and feelings of loss. sending gentle hugs. Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)