Monday, October 28, 2019

Exploring Yosemite Valley

We awoke on Friday to another perfect day in Yosemite.  This was the view from our window. The sun was illuminating Yosemite Falls (dry right now) (2,425 ft) The waterfall flows approximately November through July, with peak flow in May.


We ordered a continental breakfast of fresh pastries, fruit and coffee to get our day started.  We would soon be taking a bus tour of the valley floor.


We had to take a shuttle bus to the tour bus.  



Our first stop was this beautiful meadow.  The driver told us of the early history with the American Indians who lived here.



I zoomed in on the pretty golden dry grasses.


These are the Cathedral Rocks.



El Capitan is huge!  :-)


Our next stop was by the Merced River which drops over Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls, together known as the "Giant Staircase", then receives Illilouette Creek and flows into Yosemite Valley, where it meanders between pine forests and meadows that fill the valley floor.


A turn to the right to capture the rock cliffs.


Another turn.. I thought it was so pretty and peaceful here.


Our next destination is the view that Ansel Adams made famous, Tunnel View is a must stop for any first time visit to Yosemite Valley.  From this vista you can see El Capitan, Half Dome, and Bridalveil Fall. 



The interpretive sign there helps identify the scene.



Typical tourist photo.  :-)



Our next stop was on the opposite side of the big meadow from Half Dome.  I was standing in the shade of this oak tree which was looking beautiful with the blue sky and the sun illuminating the gold and orange leaves.



The black oak trees in Yosemite Valley have been recognized as a valued cultural, scenic, and biological resource. Black oak acorns were a major part of American Indian diets, and traditional acorn collection still occurs today.



From under the tree I spied the Cathedral Rocks framed by the golden oak leaves.


One thing you find is how El Capitan changes appearance as you travel around the valley floor.. this is across the meadow.



Our last stop has my favorite view, really.. Half Dome reflected in the river from a bridge.  I can imagine people swimming here on the warm summer days.



The greens, golds and oranges of the leaves lend a distinctly Autumnal image.



OK.. the last one.. we got so many pretty shots here I couldn't choose just one.  :-)


A different shot of El Capitan.



The view on the opposite side of the bridge.


This Mountain or Pacific Dogwood tree's leaves turn a pretty peachy color.


  
Back to our room to rest up and get ready to head to the dining room for Dayle's birthday dinner.  The sun was lowering and lighting up the oak trees.




When I made the reservation for dinner I mentioned it was Dayle's birthday and requested a nice view, we were pleased to be seated next to a window in the "Alcove".  The best table was this one, but it was already taken.  :-)


 

I walked out of the alcove to get this photo of Dayle and our server.  The views out of the windows in the dining room are spectacular.



I had the Brandt Ranch Prime Rib, Fiscalini Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts, Yorkshire Pudding, Au Jus.  Oh my.  It was the most tender and flavorful prime rib I've ever had.  Delish!  Dayle had the Porterhouse steak and bleu cheese mashed potatoes with Guinness battered onion rings.



I was told you simply had to have a dessert here so I ordered the honey and lavender creme brulee.. oh my.. it was amazing!  The honey comb thing I almost didn't try thinking it was a wax comb.. but no.. it was honey cooked to a crispy stage.. I've never seen anything like it.



Dayle was given a special chocolate cupcake with a lighted candle and our server began to sing happy birthday to him and all the other diners joined it.. what a special moment.


I will have one more travel post on Wednesday and then we'll be back to our regularly scheduled program.. lol.  We're happy to be home, our little Mocha was happy to see us.  Shirley and John did a wonderful job of house and dog sitting for us.  Thank you both!!

I just wanted to add that almost all of these photos were taken with my new iPhone 11 ProMax.  

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

18 comments:

  1. Such spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing it. Those blue skies are a real treat, as over here in the UK we've had a lot of grey, rainy days. Looks like Dayle had a great birthday to remember, and I'm sure Mocha gave you both a wonderful welcome home! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this beautiful post, Teresa! I have been looking forward to it, because Yosemite was a wonderful part of my life experience with my husband, Louis. As a matter of fact, we went camping at Yosemite with friends and family before we married, and after we married a number of times we camped there and took our children camping there...one time along the Merced River...in the rain! We never went at this time of year, and I so appreciate your gorgeous photos and interesting narrative! The reflection photos of Half Dome are my favorites. My husband's grandpa painted that view a number of times. My daughters and I once hiked out to a meadow near the Ahwahnee and got to take a watercolor class there...another favorite memory. I remember enjoying eating at the Ahwahnee and I am so happy you had a great celebration of Dayle's birthday there! Welcome Home! ((hugs)) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Teresa and yum food and awesome sights. Look forward to last past then back usual programm lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures of Yosemite. Fall would be a great time to visit. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yosemite is so unlike anywhere else I have ever been . Teresa, I love each and every photo. Half dome in the mirror of the water is amazing! A dear friends daughter wants to get married at your Falls. What should I tell her? Should I have my friend write you?? For your tips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in awe of your gorgeous photos, Teresa! Each and every one is postcard worthy! You really should have them framed. Happy birthday to Dayle! What a wonderful trip you both enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are a great way to see Yellowstone! I'm glad you had a good time together and made it safely home. I have a black and white photo shot by Ansel Adams. I got it some years ago at the forestry museum across from the zoo when there was an exhibit about Ansel. He was quite photographer. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! I'm so thankful that you shared this beautiful birthday trip with us all. Since I've never been to Yosemite, I've been soaking in each photo you shared with us. Absolutely stunning.
    I have more injections tomorrow. Fingers crossed they work this time. :-)
    Welcome home. I'm glad you had such a good and safe trip.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Teresa such awesome photos, thanks for taking us on your trip. What a memorable birthday for Dayle and how blessed you both were with the most perfect weather too. I'm glad you are safely home now. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful place to visit! I remember my parents talking about their trip to Yosemite, they loved it, too. I really enjoyed seeing all your beautiful photos, I feel like I visited with you. Happy Birthday to Dayle! Hugs to you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness it's beautiful there. What an amazing trip, and your photos are absolutely gorgeous. Lovely to see one of you and Dayle together as well. The birthday dinner looks delicious, and what an amazing dining room. It really does sound like a fantastic trip. I'm glad you're home safely. Thank you for sharing your pictures, I have really enjoyed my vicarious trip to Yosemite. Hopefully I'll go there myself one day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds like such a fabulous trip Teresa! I'm glad the weather held for you. The pictures you posted brought back so many memories of decades ago when I was there. What a gorgeous place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These views are so stunning. And, the food looks good too! Nice that the whole dining room joined in to sing to Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful photos, it looks like a fascinating place to visit. Happy belated birthday to Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday to Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos! Brought back memories of the year I spent working there in Yosemite valley in my early 20's (50 yrs ago, oh my!) Fall is a very special time there, I think my favorite season. Thank You for sharing your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful place to celebrate Dayle's birthday. t is just gorgeous and the food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)