Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Homeward Bound

On my last post it was Friday evening and we'd just had a lovely birthday dinner in the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park.  On Saturday morning we had a quick breakfast in our room and got packed up to leave.  The photo below was actually the next morning but it's so pretty I put it at the top.  More on it later.


After dinner on Friday we walked to the lobby area which we hadn't checked out.  What a nice big comfortable place for visitors to enjoy.. 


There was a real fire crackling away in the big fireplace.


There were also several glass cases with collections of Indian baskets from the area.  



I just love them!  Which one is your favorite?


This one is HUGE and had a large custom made display for it.  It was 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide!


The next morning they brought our car around and loaded our things in it for us, we were happy to see that no bear had decided to break into it.  :-)  We then enjoyed our drive out of the park enjoying everything we saw one last time.  We decided to take another road out than we used to enter - that one was steep and windy and this one we had been told was river grade and flatter.  It was much nicer!  We followed the Merced River as we made our way towards home.


Looking back from whence we came.



We traveled many a mile through the countryside and eventually we reached civilization and then cities and freeways and at Sacramento we found our way to I-5 and from then on we knew our way home.  We passed at least 50 firetrucks from Oregon and Washington heading South to help out with the fires burning in California.  In fact we could not get a room in the hotels where we'd planned to stop as the electric company was turning off huge tracts of electricity to people and businesses in order to minimize fire danger.  Our daughter Amy in Ohio actually found us a room in Mt. Shasta which we booked immediately.  The photo at the top of this post was our view from the restaurant the next morning.  We drove up the little town to get a closer photo.  It was COLD there in the morning, 31 deg.



After breakfast we were back on the road towards home.. Dayle snapped this photo as we drove away from the mountain.



Further north, looking back at the mountain across the pastures and hills.


The hills were dotted with gold and orange oak trees, it was beautiful.



Northern California is vast countryside with farms and cattle ranches.. and a lot of horses.


When we pulled into our driveway, John had our little girl out for a walk.. she was very happy to see us!  Shirley had a nickname for her, "Mochaccino"!  We had a nice chat with them before they headed home.  Thank you, John and Shirley for taking good care of our little darling dog.



We've been resting up and getting back into our regular schedule.  The Christmas cactus I rescued from my mother's room at the assisted living facility before she passed away was blooming when we got home.  So pretty.


Shirley had some fun with my dollhouse while we were gone, actually she dusted it for me and arranged everything.  I just took some photos of the rooms and will share them on Friday.  Thanks for visiting!!  What are you up to today?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 


BooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo
*H*A*P*P*Y* *H*A*L*L*O*W*E*E*N*!*
BooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo 

13 comments:

  1. Mocha's sweet, little face looks like she's glad you're back. I know she was well cared for, but it's not like Mum and Dad! Your Christmas cactus is looking healthy, and a lovely reminder of your Mum. Thanks for sharing your trip with us, and I hope the California fires are soon under control. Such devastation. So sad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear little Mocha. I'm glad the rest of your holiday went well, the drive home looks lovely too. Such beautiful countryside. I've really enjoyed seeing your photos, thank you for sharing them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, beautiful photos of your trip. Thank for sharing it with us.
    Cute little Mocha. I bet she so glad that you are home.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful photos. So glad you had the opportunity to go on that adventure. Mocha looks very happy to have her people back home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing the photos from your marvelous trip. Mt Shasta is beautiful. So glad your daughter was able to find you lodging for your trip home. I'm sure Mocha was happy to see his mama and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for another good post, Teresa! I'm so glad that you had perfect weather and got so many great photos...and no smoke or wildfires on your Yosemite trip! Each one of those baskets is beautiful, and I can not choose a favorite...amazing works of art. I'm glad Amy was able to find a room for you, and that you had a safe trip and a sweet welcome home...finding a happy Mocha, a new flower in bloom and a dusted dollhouse :-) I had a busy day with ladies knitting and crocheting baby blankets for the NICU babies and now am watching the World Series game...exciting so far! ((hugs)) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful Teresa and I Love that Indian basket in the centre. 31 here today but that is celcius and hot lol We just watched a dear friend from NZ go on the airport bus to fly home after staying with us 😢😢 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip Teresa. It's so nice to know that you really appreciate the beauty of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you arrived home safely. I'll bet Mocha was so happy to see you both! You posted some gorgeous pictures Teresa. Those Indian baskets are amazing! I would love one for my knitting. I was just looking at my Christmas cactus a few days ago wondering if it will bloom this year....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous hotel you were blessed to have the opportunity to stay at. That fireplace and lobby area are beautiful. Although it's a different style, it does remind me a little of the lodge at Old Faithful. I'm glad you had an uneventful and pretty drive home as well and that Amy was able to find you a room. That can be stressful, not knowing where you're going to lay your head after a long day of driving as I well know!
    All of the baskets are beautiful and I can't decide which I like best but the last one is HUGE! The craftsmanship is amazing.
    I'm sure sweet little Mocha is thrilled to have you two back home. How lucky you are to have good friends to help take care of her for you.
    Welcome Home!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Indian baskets are lovely. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my virtual journey with you. What stunning landscapes. Bet Mocha was pleased to see you home. B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, your trip sounds truly amazing. Everywhere you look there is so much beauty to see. Each photo you posted was amazing. I loved the one of you and Dayle together. I am so glad you were able to go spend time in such a beautiful area of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful Victorian dollhouse! All of the details & miniatures are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)