Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Dune Blanket Ta-Da and ZZ Shoot

Hello my friends.  How is your week going?  We're having a busy one, for retired people anyway.  :-)  I am happy to share that I finished my Dune blanket, designed by my friend in England, blogger Lucy, at Attic24 blog.  


This is a lap blanket/afghan size and I am making two, one for each of my granddaughters in Ohio.  I don't get to see them often, so I want them to have this blanket to wrap themselves in a hug from me whenever they feel like it.


I have decided that I will go ahead and send this to Jenna, the oldest, as it took me nearly half a year to make and I want her to enjoy it while I work another half year on the 2nd one for Paige.


I did not like the 3 darkest colors in the palette so I bought some other colors for the 2nd one.  I hope I like it as well.  We'll see.  


I did a simple shell border in blue and dusty pink.  I think it works.


I knitted this hat many years ago and wear it throughout December each year.  I had originally made my own pom-pom out of the off-white velour yarn but it fell apart.  SO.. I ordered this faux fur one not long ago and affixed it on my hat.  I wore this in the Veteran's Day parade as we have the windows down through the parade route and I needed it to keep warm!  I did knit the hat but crocheted the brim.


My ZZ plant has put out a shoot.. I'm excited to see a new leaf emerge.


I took this photo a few days ago.. 


And I just took this one.. it's neat how you feel you can actually see them grow.  Do you have houseplants?  Do you love seeing them grow and change?


I was looking for my first octopus ink painting the other day, it's of Dayle pulling our 3 little children on one sled down our snowy driveway.  I did NOT find that one but I did find this one of an old barn.  I'm going to hang this on the family room wall where I have the other ones.  I remember taking this photo when I was driving through the countryside to visit my mom on their property in Scio, OR.  A friend of mine sent me the raw octopus ink from their fishing boat in Alaska and told me of a woman there who used it to do paintings.. so I did and love the vintage look of them.  


I ran across this photo and thought I'd share it, I made this teapot for my friend Shirley and saw it at her house.  I threw all the pieces individually and then joined them together by scoring each piece and added slip which is a mixture of clay and water.  I made a clay strip for the two pieces where the handle fits and the top of the lid.  After bisque firing, I glazed it and high fired it.  Then Dayle bent a coat hanger wire to make the handle and I did a macrame cover for it and finished it off with beads.  :-)


Mocha wanted to say hello to you.  :-)


My back is much better, just a tiny twinge here and there.  I'll begin my swimming regimen again soon.  Have a super week!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

20 comments:

  1. Great tea pot!! I love your blankets one and all. IM glad you are feeling better . Hi MOCHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket is absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your granddaughter will cherish it for many years to come. Mocha is such a little sweetie! Your many talents always amaze me. Enjoy your day dear friend. ๐Ÿ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blanket!!! Are those Lucy's suggested colors? Scheep's sand washed or whatever they call it? I love the looks of it! You did a beautiful job!
    I cannot believe how talented you are....painting with octopus ink? I thought it was squids that had the ink? Plus pottery too? I love the tea pot! I do have house plants but not as m any as I used to. I lost a lot when we didn't have power during an ice storm and I hate to invest in them again for fear I'll lose them but I have a few. That is a beautiful one...a ZZ plant? Never heard of it or seen one. What an interesting post! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Afghan is nice although I do agree that the darkest color isn't quite the nicest.color. I'm sure granddaughter will enjoy it. Chilly days but thankful for blue sky appearing. Busy week. Need to clean dining room. Holidays are approaching soon. Take care and hope your back feels better soon. I think I missed that blog post. Hugs....gently!๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear artistic friend, thank you for sharing your beautiful work...letting me admire it. The blanket, your ink drawing, the teapot, the hat, and your photography are a joy to see!!!! The shamrock plant you helped me save has some flowers on it! I am so glad your back is starting to feel better. Please give Mocha love pats from me. ((hugs)), Gracie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mocha! I'm glad to hear that your back is better Teresa. Bad backs are no fun, just ask me. :-)
    Your blanket for Jenna is absolutely stunning. I know she will cherish it as will her sister when the second one is done.
    I don't have very many houseplants. Just two philodendrons and a jade plant. I bought the jade plant in Troutdale at an antique store this spring. It's doing surprisingly well so far since I normally kill plants fairly quickly. Please tell Dayle hello from Dennis and I.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can I add to all the above comments. I love your Blog and enjoy reading about your home and neighbourhood doings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mocha, you look happy :-)
    I am so glad your back is better Teresa. Jenna will love this blanket for many years, it is such a lovely gift to give. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your back is almost better. Lovely houseplant, I hadn't heard the term ZZ before. I used to have around 90 houseplants before I had children. Just a tiny handful now though! Although they are on the increase. The dog is the problem now. The blanket is gorgeous, such a lovely texture, and I love the idea of it being a hug for Jenna in Ohio, wonderful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your artistic talents know no bounds! Mocha has such a sweet face. Glad your back is easing up. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh... you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure can do everything, Teresa! and it is all so beautiful! I look forward to reading every blog entry! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how delightful is your blanket for Jenna...she will love this Teresa, and yes it will wrap her in a hug from you. Lovely photos and your houseplants look really healthy. I am glad you are feeling better. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blanket turned out beautifully Teresa! Well done. I never would have thought of using Octopus Ink for painting. Interesting and I do like the look of it. We do have a number of house plants - both upstairs in bedrooms and downstairs. They add so much to a room...but our house is tiny and it is sometimes difficult to find room for them. Hope you are feeling better and back to swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you are feeling better, Teresa! The blanket for your granddaughter is so pretty. I'm sure it will be a treasure for her and a big hug as well. The octopus ink drawing is beautiful. You keep showing how talented you are, my friend. And that teapot--GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dune colours are lovely and soothing. Congratulations on finishing the first blanket, it looks wonderful and I'm sure Jenna will love it. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Mocha! Love that teapot, what a special gift. I love your afghans and I'm sure your granddaughters will too, they are lucky to have such a talented Gram. I have a few houseplants and they vary from growing very well to being on the verge of dying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful afghans. Yes - sometimes we have to send something hand knit because we can't be there in person. I bet they will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry about your back Teresa, Hi Mocha! You are so adorable. Love the blanket you made for your granddaughter. Good luck with round two.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)