Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Sourdough

Greeting fellow Earthlings.  How are you?  Hanging in there?  Learning new skills?  Keeping sane?  :-)  I've been feeding and caring for my sourdough starter "pet", Jane Dough, and we thought we'd try making artisan bread.  I have to admit, all the bread I made in the past, I added yeast in addition to the sourdough.  This time we were going au natural, just my own "culture".  Here is the result.  


But let's start at the "start".. see.. I made a funny.  This is what it looks like when it's happy, or fully active culture and ready to use.


I am the mother of the sourdough and the "encourager".. Dayle is the chef.. so he took on this experiment.  Here is the dough which he made up in the evening.  It sits on the counter overnight and is finished and baked the next morning.


This is it in the morning and was doubled in size.


Here she is, out of the oven.  I'm not going to share this recipe because it was in metric measures and drove us nuts trying to convert all the ingredients into cups.  We used our large Le Creuset French Oven to bake it, you start it covered and then finish it off with the lid off.


Here she is cooling on my antique bread board with my antique butter dish full of Irish butter.  :-)


I so love using vintage things in the kitchen.


Then the real test, how does it taste?  First to saw it into slices for our taste test, the crust was definitely CRUSTY and I had to work pretty hard to cut it.. lol.  


Ohh.. the texture is lovely.


Ta-Dah!  Bite.. chew chew.. ohhhh.. yessss.. YES!  The true real sourdough flavor was out of this world!  No fake sourdough "flavoring" for this baby.  And no "cheating" with added yeast.  Num num num.  Success!   It is delicious!  And Dayle just cut a slice and toasted it and it's even better as toast!  I sure can recommend experimenting with sourdough.


We had a bag of frozen shrimp so I thought we should try making Shrimp & Grits, we saw Cardea Brown make her Gullah style dish on her Food Network show recently and I was inspired.  So, I ordered a bag of old fashioned grits from.. wait for it.. Amazon.  It arrived yesterday.


And the recipe is right on the back of the neat muslin bag!  


And look at what Chef Dayle produced!  I offered to help by making the grits, but he preferred to have the kitchen to himself.  Okay, works for me.  This is an amazingly tasty meal.  I can happily recommend this recipe.


Wanna bite?


We don't remember where we got this!


The flavor of these was excellent.  So nice to have something in the freezer that you can make at home when you're in the mood for shrimp.


I had to show you how huge our Bonfire Begonia Boliviensis is getting.  We are quite literally amazed and it's only halfway through it's growing season.   


The little pink one is pretty but is dwarfed by its big sister.


I finished the flag embroidery but will show it to you on my next post.  Stay safe my friends.. news reports of the spread of this virus are appalling and frightening.  ((hugs)), Teresa 

18 comments:

  1. NIce looking bread. I've been making the sourdough in the Le Creuset too except I use my old 35 yo pan not my newish white one. BTW you might use a knife(lame) I got mine from King Arthur) to make a couple of cut across the top so it can release the steam and then you get that nice pattern. I think I'll order the grits too. I love polenta and generally use Bob's Red Mill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful bread and flowers and your narrative about them! I am so interested to see the result of using Jane Dough and your baking method. I never had such wonderful results with sourdough starts. I am happy you two were so successful! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm really hungry. That bread and the shrimp dish look absolutely wonderful. I would love to borrow Chef Dayle sometime. Or, someday maybe we'll be able to visit you again. Darn virus is ruining a LOT of plans.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sourdough looks brilliant. I always make sourdough rather than yeasted bread. We get a loaf virtually every day. I watched an American cookery programme the other day and learned all about grits, well done Dayle on that recipe. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m very impressed with your baking. Well done on being so successful. I’m going to have to give sour dough a try one of these days. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum, yum! Love sourdough bread but haven't tried to make it. I still have a recipe from high school that we made in Independent Living class. Or it might have been Home & Family, can't remember. Anywho, I think it calls for mashed potato flakes to make the starter. I wouldn't use that now but have have had success lately making regular bread with yeast, something that I always thought was so difficult. Turns out it's really not. :) Trying to stay motivated over here. Some days it really is difficult with so much uncertainty. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum!!! Your bread looks amazing as do the shrimp and grits. The Mister loves grits and they've been hard to find here. I'll have to go looking on Amazon too. I never thought of it.
    I was just thinking that I was so glad I raided my grandmother's kitchen when she passed and brought home most of her old cookware. I think of her and my great grandmother everyday when I use it. It's a good way to keep the memories going not to mention that the old stuff is far superior to the new. Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa. Your bread looks wonderful, but I have to admit that I don't care for sourdough bread at all. I might be the only person in the world who doesn't like it - lol. Grits on the other hand I really like and shrimp too, of course. That meal looks delish! Beautiful flowers as usual. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread looks delicious and the shrimp dish yummy! What time do you want me over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You bread and shrimp dinner looks delicious Teresa. I bet your house smelled wonderful while you were baking it. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sourdough bread is beautiful, Teresa! I used to make sourdough breads years ago, so I can almost taste it! The shrimp looks good, too. I love having shrimp in the freezer as well. Your flower baskets are really thriving. Stay safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your bread looks wonderful Teresa. mmmmmmm. I'll take the heel, or the crusty end as they say

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bread looks incredible! I had sourdough starter years ago and know that wonderful authentic flavor. I'm so tempted to do the starter again. My son has some but lives far away. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I am visiting from Michelle's Thankful Thursday meme. The sourdough bread looks delicious. I would like the shrimp and grits too. Your flower baskets look beautiful. Take care! Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sourdough bread looks absolutely delicious Teresa. I swear I can practically smell a whiff of home baked bread:-) Marvellous with fresh butter! I have never eated grits but that dish of shrimps looks very inviting. Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yum never baked sourdough bread. Lucky you xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shrimp and grits is a favorite dish of mine. The rest of my family doesn't like it, but me? I could eat it everyday! I have some sourdough "dough" waiting to be baked tomorrow. I am hoping it turns out okay. This is my first attempt at sourdough! Yours look beautiful and I am glad it turned out tasty. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Teresa, I am just catching up on all your posts and news. Your garden is looking beautiful and your bread delicious. My son in law bakes all their bread from his "mother" starter who has been brewing for years now. It taste the best. I'm sorry that you and Dayle have some health issues and that your are not feeling the best right now. I think the whole world feels pretty sad right now and all we can do is just muddle along as best we can. Sending a huge hug, keep positive and keep creating xxx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)