Friday, October 23, 2020

Sight-seeing in Newport and Lincoln City, Oregon

My sister Denise journeyed from Portland to visit us while we're here at the beach.  She booked a lovely suite at the Looking-glass Inn in Taft for two nights and we spent Wednesday tootling around Newport and Thursday we went north and adventured around Lincoln City.  This is the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse.  


She drove to visit us here in the trailer and then we all jumped in our car and went to pick-up a take-out lunch at one of our favorite restaurants in Newport, Georgie's Grill.  We all had Halibut fish and chips, with onion rings and sweet potato fries.  Then we dined in front of the lighthouse looking over the Pacific and Yaquina Bay.


After a very tasty lunch we embarked on our adventure, first the obligatory photo of the Yaquina Bay Bridge.  It's so pretty.


The we drove through the historic working bay front with all the fishing boats, seafood processing plants, boutiques, salt water taffy shops, restaurants, etc.  I always drive to the fishing boat yard to take this view of the boats and the bridge.  Each time the light is different and each time I love it.


The fishing boats come and go and there are some docks here that the barking sea lions call home.


They go ORK! ORK!! ORK!!!.. really loud.  Try it, it's fun.. then watch your family as they think you've gone mad.  :-D


My sister Denise captured this shot of some crab pots with colorful new buoys.


Then I drove us down into the Historic Nye Beach area and showed her some things she hadn't seen and in this neat little beach access park she snapped this great shot of the ocean with a seagull on top of each post.  LOL!


There were these cool benches, the artwork on them was wonderful.


A special place here is the Sylvia Beach Hotel -- 

Sylvia Beach Hotel was named in honor of Sylvia Beach, the expatriate American bookseller and publisher who opened Shakespeare and Company bookstore in Paris in 1919. Located in Newport on the central Oregon coast, Sylvia Beach Hotel sits on a bluff above Nye Beach and the Pacific Ocean.

Originally built in 1912 as the New Cliff House hotel, the structure was renovated in the 1980s to become a 21-room literary-themed bed and breakfast with a homey and eclectic charm that attracts readers, writers, and travelers from all over the world. It has been listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Each room includes details and books to reflect the life and writings of 21 different authors. Guests can enjoy a book with a view in the quiet and cozy haven of the third-floor oceanfront library. Family-style dining for breakfast and dinner brings guests and locals together to share conversation and adventures in our Tables of Content Restaurant.



We then went to see the Yaquina Head Lighthouse only to find it was closed for repairs.  Here is the view of Newport from there.


This is an image I got in April 2019.


Thursday morning was gorgeous, I snapped this from the doorway.  :-)  We picked up Denise at her hotel and off we went.  We went to a plant nursery to see if they had a little fall-inspired potted plant and they did not.  But we did get a surprise for our son and DIL.  Shhhh.. don't tell them.  :-)


Then we went to Walgreens to pick up some prescription eye drops for me.  Then we stopped at an antique store and I found a couple Jadeite goodies.  This Fenton candleholder is so pretty!


And also a vintage Fire King shell dish.  :-)  We also did a grocery pick-up at Fred Meyer and may have brought home a rather too large bag of Halloween candy.. just in case we get any trick-or-treaters.  One must be prepared.  We got a bag that had our favorites.  ;-)


Then we got a take out order for a late lunch from Kyllo's restaurant at Devil's Lake - 3 bay shrimp salads that were delicious!  They had avocado, kalamata olives, boiled egg, cherry tomatoes and cucumber.. I forgot to take a photo!  :-)  We then dropped Denise off so she could watch the last presidential debate in her suite.  Then we pulled in to get this shot of my favorite little islands.  The light was not good but it's still a fun shot.


A shot of a bird on a piece of driftwood in Siletz bay, just past the little islands, the Pacific Ocean across the sand bar.


We watched the debate and the sunset at the same time.  I can't wait until this election is over and hopefully we can all heal from this divisiveness and anger.  


A very pretty end to a lovely day.


Almost dark.


My friend Shirley that is house-sitting for me found my newly made jadeite rolling pin in the pantry.  I might need to make a pumpkin pie!


I added my two new jadeite pieces to my Halloween display on the dining table in our trailer.  The orange and green really complement each other.  


Well.. that's it for now.  We have another 9 days to enjoy the ocean and our cozy little caravan.  Yes, I think I could do this forever.  It's cloudy today and rain is forecast but that is okay with me.  I've got some crocheting to do today.  Denise brought us some of her homemade split pea soup and her own sourdough bread, so that will be our afternoon meal.  Yum!!  

Have a great weekend.. any plans?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  


21 comments:

  1. Lovely photos and yummy food Teresa. I wish I could be away by the sea. I love the sea but have not seen not now since September last year. No special plans here - cannot visit others in their homes. we could go out for a meal - just the two of us but it is not straight forward now and it is off putting. I am grateful though there are restrictions in place though not everyone sticks to them :-( Hope you have los of fun over the weekend. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What amazing scenery! I really had no idea how beautiful the west coast was until I started following you and Betsy. I've never been further west than Texas and it was a pretty dreary state to drive through imho. Araignee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to see all you have seen. Nice Denise could join you for some family time. I miss all of mine but may be allowed in a few weeks. It has been many months but at least we see Julia and Jaylen. 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photos! I had to look on the map to see where you are. I did not realize that Oregon was so far north. It looks delightful - have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 🐚I am enjoying your days at the beach! I tried ORKING out loud and made myself laugh.😃 Thanks so much for posting, Teresa.⛵🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be still my heart! Nine more days! I so love Nye Beach and the photo of the seagulls on each post is perfection. Each photo brought back so many memories of our visits to the same places, even our last lunch with you and Dayle at Kyllo's. Did you find your Jadeite at the antique store in Lincoln City on the East side of the highway on the north end of town? We ALWAYS go to that particular store because I always find treasures there. Oh how I wish we could be in our little trailer there with you two. We would have so much fun crocheting, (or knitting,) together in the evenings and exploring during the day. Maybe someday. I hope you can continue to enjoy your time and continue to have such lovely weather too. (It's still snowing and we have about 7 inches now.)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful photos. Really cheered up a very wet day in southwest England. I made a pumpkin from Lucy Attic 24 blog last night, just like one of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos. Really cheered up a wet day in southwest England. I made a pumpkin from Lucy at Attic24’s blog last night just like one of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful photos, a really beautiful part of the world. I feel like I always say that when I see your pictures, but it really is. That hotel sounds amazing, and such a gorgeous colour. Love the picture of all the gulls lined up on the posts, and the seals as well. I know what you mean about the noise they make, we see them on Bardsey Island and always laugh at their calls. Glad you're having such a good time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous amount of eye candy in this very interesting post Teresa. I rather like the sound of the Sylvia Beach Hotel! Books and time to read suits me fine :-) It is wonderful that you have been able to get together with your sister too. Looks like too that you are having good weather. Enjoy!! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love very much this blog! Marvelous! Great photos! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos, you're giving me a virtual sea fix, thank you!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are enjoying a wonderful trip, Teresa! The photos are gorgeous of your adventures. How nice your sister was able to join you in the fun. The lighthouses are beautiful! Of course, the ocean shots are my favorite. Lovely to see you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are back home again, getting everything ready for the cold that is coming - 15 degrees tonight. Your pictures help us feel that we are still at the coast! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful holiday! You are lucky to be staying in such a wonderful place. Thanks for sharing your adventures, it is the only way I can visit places at the moment, we are restricted to our own health board area just now. I would love a few days in the library hotel, just my cup of tea. I rather like the architecture of the building, it is not a style I am very familiar with. Happy holidays to both you and Dayle xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like one of those sea lions this morning!! Lazy and rolling around - lol. Beautiful lighthouse in that first picture Teresa. Sounds like you and Dayle are enjoying your get-away. Glad your sister could meet up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much to enjoy reading this post. Lovely places to visit and gorgeous coastal scenery. You are having some amazing sunsets. B x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful time you’re having beside the sea! I loved seeing all your beautiful photos.....so fresh and uplifting! It must feel great to get away and have a complete change. Lovely that your sister could join you too. Enjoy the rest of your trip dear Teresa....and thank you for sharing. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are wonderful. It sounds like you are having a wonderful holiday by the sea. Such beautiful sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Newport is my favorite coast town to stay at over night. Well, maybe it's a toss up with Gearhart and Cannon Beach. I love the Yaquina Bay area with the sea lions. I could watch them for hours. The bakery at Nye Beach is delicious and I have always wanted to stay at The Sylvia Beach Hotel but I don't think they have TVs or Internet but maybe things have changed.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Love, Melissa from PDX

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)