Monday, February 8, 2021

Pretty Roses and Winter Cookery

Hello!  Did you have a good weekend?  We did, just enjoying our home and cooking and watching the Super Bowl on Sunday.  Dayle came home from some errands with a new bouquet of the prettiest pink roses.  :-)


Don't you just love a bouquet during the winter to brighten things up?


I am not sure what to call this color -- what do you think?


Dayle made a lunch for us of his split pea and ham soup, toasted some of his honey wheat sourdough bread and egg salad.  He cooked and peeled and chopped the egg but my job is adding the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper and stir it up.  I do it by eye and it's my skill.  LOL!


On Saturday he made homemade macaroni and cheese with peas and fried up some bit of ham to go with it.  NUM!


We have some jadeite oval platters and they work so well when you have a bowl of something and another item on the side.  In fact many old style diners use oval platters to serve meals on which is kind of fun as they remind me of the 50's.


I've posted this recipe many times, I'll add it to the bottom.


Dayle snapped this photo of our darling little Mocha as she was keeping an eye on us hoping someone would toss her ball for her.


I'm slowing down on jadeite acquisitions.. but.. well.. this vase.. who could resist?  It will hold a nice bunch of flowers and has a peacock on it with flowers.  I can already envision dahlias in it.  


A snap of my blanket progress.. I got a lot done during the big game.  Speaking of which.. I had no idea who was performing during the half-time and had to look it up.  And the dancers were men with "masks" on their head that looked like jock straps, or that they'd had surgery on their face covered with bandages.  I was very disappointed in it.  


Dayle just left to get his 2nd vaccine at the Veterans Administration.  I have a zoom meeting with my DAR group at 1.  Life during Covid.  I wonder if things will ever get back to "normal".  But we're doing the best we can to stay safe and live through this.  Be safe and be well!!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-)  

MAMA TERESA'S HOMEMADE MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH PEAS


Preheat oven at 350 degrees


24 oz macaroni

6 TBS Butter

5 TBS Flour

1/4 tsp salt

4 Cups milk

1 1/2 lbs Velveeta

1 Can baby peas, drained

Sliced Tillamook Cheddar for the top


Get the water to boiling - like 3 quarts, with 2 tsp of salt and with a dash of oil.


While it's coming to a boil, melt butter in saucepan and add flour and salt - stir until blended and cook for a minute, then add the milk and stir until slightly thickened - it won't thicken much.  Add sliced Velveeta and stir until blended, add drained peas and stir in.  When the water came to a boil you added the pasta and stir often - check OFTEN to see if the pasta is done "al dente" which means done but chewy, (never ever overcook pasta, it turns to mush).  When the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander.  Toss till well drained, then add to cheese mixture in an oven proof stock pot - stir well, sprinkle with pepper and stir again.  Then lay cheddar slices over the top.


Bake for a half hour until slightly browned on top and bubbly.


Enjoy!!


15 comments:

  1. Your Dayle is sure an awesome cook. Good pictures of the meals you had - You're making me hungry! I am trying to make gumbo in my slow cooker for dinner tonight. Hope it turns out yummy - smells good!
    Lovely flowers too! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has made me feel very hungry. Lucky you to have a husband that is an excellent cook. Those flowers are beautiful and look like velvet. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would call the color of your flowers "raspberry". Kind of strange for a flower but that's what it makes me think of! They are beautiful, in any case! You made me laugh with your jockstrap comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roses are gorgeous, Teresa, and I agree, we must have flowers in the winter. Your meals look so retro on your jadeite dishes. And that vase is beautiful! Have a lovely evening, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My weekend was much like yours, but I like them that way. I know you must enjoy Dayle cooking. I would! I love seeing Mocha. She looks like a sweet dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowers are fuchsia!! Gorgeous . I want Dayle to come and cook for me for a week. He's awesome.
    I love your blanket and you plates and collection Teresa. Your blog is a bright space for us who are covered in snow and -2 degrees for dinner time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meal certainly looked delicious! And those roses are gorgeous! We are not sports fans, so did not watch the game...or the half time...or the commercials (which I heard were poor). But, we did have nachos for dinner which is Super Bowl food! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful roses! The look so pretty on your table. All your food looks delicious, especially the mac and cheese. Loved the photo of Mocha... hoping for droppings! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blanket is growing by leaps and bounds and is beautiful as are the roses Dayle brought to you. I'm going to go online yet again tomorrow to try to get Dennis a vaccine appointment. They are opening up appointments at 5:00 p.m. I don't have much hope I'll actually get an appointment but I'm going to try.
    We never watch sport so I didn't see the halftime show but I have read and heard many comments who said the same thing you did about the "bandages or jockstraps" on their heads. Sounds completely ridiculous to me.
    Dayle is such a great cook. You are one lucky lady to have him fixing meals and getting flowers! :-)
    Take care and stay safe. I heard that this UK variant is a particularly contagious one and they expect a huge surge after the game in a week or two. Scary. I guess we just keep praying and waiting for our turn for the vaccine. Let us know how Dayle does with this second dose. Which vaccine is he getting? Moderna or Pfizer?
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful roses, I would call the colour cerise so very pretty. Love the new addition of the jadeite vase, your collection is ever growing. Lots of yummy food to admire which is making me feel hungry. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm lucky if I can get The Mister to help me peel potatoes. A man that can cook is a keeper for sure-especially if he also brings home flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cerise or fuschia maybe? I love the sunlight on your beautiful green glass. Glad it was a good weekend and that Dayle has had his second vaccination. The photo of Mocha is just adorable. If that was Bertie, he'd grab his ball as soon as someone came close. He wants people to throw it, he just doesn't want them to have it first. Dinner looks delicious as always. I am in a bit of a cookery slump at the moment - it's all fairly functional. But I have done a bit of baking. Hope you have a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous raspberry pink roses! I have been wanting flowers lately, too. Spring Fever? Dahlias will be pretty in the lovely new vase. Yay for your good blanket progress! So glad we can at least Zoom meetings...but looking forward to in person visits, also. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your blanket so lovely and food looks delish for sure. Mocha so sweet and go Dayle getting 2nd vaccine.....none here yet. Beautiful flowers. Family birthday fun in a large park on the weekend xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mocha looks like she is really waiting ever so patiently. :) Nice new vase and pretty roses. I asked my mom if she would be getting the vaccine through the VA but she hasn't heard anything and doesn't seem to think she is high risk. They're talking about a 2 week full lockdown here since cases seem to be climbing back up again. I don't think there ever going to be a normal, though some people seem to think they can do whatever they want without concern for others. Your blanket is coming along nicely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)