Friday, June 23, 2017

First Strawberry Shortcake of the Summer

Dayle brought home some fresh picked Hood strawberries the other day and some shortcake cups and a loaf of pound cake.  After dinner we worked together, he plucked the stems out of the berries and I sliced them.. just like my mom used to.. and then I sprinkled some sugar over the top.. not too much.. just the right amount. Then I gently stirred them and put them in the fridge for a few hours to let the sugar dissolve.  Then I sliced up the pound cake, asked who wanted the cake cups or cake.. ladled on generous amounts of bright red berries and added some whipped cream, and the boys wanted some ice cream too.. lol.  Oh my goodness.  It tasted so good.  I told him the only difference is that my mom made homemade whipped cream so I'm doing that next time.  What do you serve your berries on for strawberry shortcake?


My sister Denise and her husband Steve are traveling in Colorado - she texted me this photo of them in Aspen!  Isn't this photo amazing?


My red hibiscus has been producing a lot flowers recently, it loves the longer daylight hours.  I adore this old tree!


I didn't get any photos from Multnomah Falls yesterday - it was very busy with all the people out and about as school is out and the weather was perfection.  We have all the flowers removed from the deck as we were going to have it spray washed and stained, but on further inspection the guys have decided it needs all the decking replaced!  It sure looks different out there.  I hope they get it fixed up fast so we can put it back to rights.  We're having a heat advisory here.  Time to get the air conditioner going.  I hope you have fun weekend plans.  We don't.. yet.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

16 comments:

  1. Strawberry shortcake! We've had it four times this week! We've been picking the strawberries at the garden here at the lake, and then eating them a few hours later. I'm process my strawberries the same as you do with a little sugar and then we like them on the dessert cups with a little bit of milk and whipped cream. Mmmmmm good!
    I hope you get your deck fixed quickly so you can enjoy it. It's absolutely gorgeous here at the lake today. Not a cloud in the sky and 73°. Perfection. Have a lovely weekend.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum..that looks delicious Teresa. If I have strawberries I tend to miss out cream..I just love pure strawberry flavour..or I add them to Pimms. Hope you get your decking sorted. Have a lovely weekend...we're in Portugal at the moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm I think I will make some biscuits and put some sweetened strawberries on one. The Colorado and Hibiscus photos are lovely. I have my car in for maintenance this afternoon, worship art group tomorrow afternoon and church on Sunday. I hope your deck refurbishing is quickly successful! Meanwhile shall we salute each other with "Cheers!" as we down lots of water and iced tea over this hot weekend.πŸ˜…πŸŒΊπŸ€—πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, that looks delicious. Strawberry shortcake is something I haven't had in years, I really must make some soon. My strawberries won't last much longer, they were early this year and they'll soon be finished. The picture your sister sent is amazing, what a stunning spot. I hope she has a good time. Good luck with the new decking, I hope it's finished soon for you so that you can get your flowers back in place and enjoy eating outside again. The temperatures have dropped to around 66F here today after our short heatwave, it's chilly! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you do with your hibiscus in the winter? Or is it an indoor plant.? I love them...yours is a beauty. Now I have to go find some strawberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep it in the house all year although I bet it would enjoy spending the summer outside. I have it right by the window in the dining room. It blooms all year! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

      Delete
  6. Softball on the agenda, here. Your strawberries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are going to the local Gala today if it hasn't been cancelled, it is blowing a gale. I like to make shortbread biscuits with strawberries and icecream. I also like to have some sliced on scones with some fresh cream. I always have some strawberry jam that I make in the cupboard for a taste of summer through the cooler months. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum .. that looks wonderful. We could never do that with strawberries at the moment as they very rarely arrive home safely. The other day Oliver had eaten all but 1 of the strawberries before my daughter got to the checkout to pay. She also often has to pay for half a banana! Your hibiscus is beautiful. Its already Saturday night here and I've been doing a bit of knitting. I'm making a triangle scarf called The Jefferson scarf (free on Ravelry) - I'm enjoying doing it. Still haven't finished my Hitchhiker .. have you? xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had strawberry shortcake and seeing yours, that's definitely something I need to make. We usually do with the strawberries what you do but eat them with a generous amount of pouring cream. I also like mine with pieces of meringue. The photo of you sister and her husband is amazing, what a background! I hope she is having a fabulous time. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Teresa shortcake cups please!!!!! Allison made homemade whipcream last time she was in. Oh my!!!!so good. Your flowers are so so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just need someone to pick my strawberries! Hoping tomorrow morning while it's cool. I plan to make a boatload of strawberry jam for my kids.
    (and it doesn't help that this is one of my big allergy problems).
    I always make whipped cream from scratch - it's so easy with either the hand mixer or the vintage whipping thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The strawberry shortcake looks delicious! Real whipped cream is yumo too. My chinese lantern plant has got green lanterns on it already. I had to water it this afternoon before I left for a grad party in Yamhill. It was wilting. After Megan and I got back I watered remainder of potted plants. Hydrangeas in tub were a bit wilted too. Yep..staying inside tomorrow. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cut back my hibiscus this past spring so no flowers here yet. Yum on that strawberry short cake, my Mom used to make it, a sure sign of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. New decking will be great and last again for AGES......and again I love your place and are you trying to make me go for carbs with that strawberry shortcake yummy....oh dear me lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The strawberry shortcake looks delicious. We have had strawberries in meringues with cream, ice cream and chocolate sprinkles with a dusting of icing sugar. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)