Friday, January 10, 2014

Rock Fall Damages Historic Bridge

Thanks for stopping by.  I got a text message from the morning volunteers at Multnomah Falls Visitor Center yesterday morning and she told me that a rock had fallen and hit the historic Benson Bridge (which turns 100 next year).  I hiked up to the viewing platform to see what I could see.. the waterfall was gushing and roaring and full.  See the hole in the bridge?


The rock put a hole in the bridge walkway and then knocked out 3 of the support pillars in the railing.  :-(


This photo below is compliments of local Channel 8 TV news reporter, Kyle Iboshi.  He came in the Visitors Center and we chatted and I asked him if he got some good photos and asked if he'd email them to me and he did!


Needless to say the hiking trail is closed until this is fixed.  It's a good think no one was on the bridge when this happened.  The rock fall must have happened during the night or early morning.  


See the rock and the hole?  Not safe at all!  This photo is by Kyle Iboshi - Ch. 8 News.  That was very nice of him to email them to me - right there from the falls.  The wonders of iPhones. :-)


On my way down the trail I saw these adorable tiny ferns coming out of the moss.  


And here is my favorite mossy rock and 3 mossy trees.


As I turned a corner I thought how pretty the lamp looked glowing with the waterfall behind it.


There were all kinds of reporters and photographers visiting to see the damage to the bridge.  We had planned a celebration of it's 100 years next year - I do hope that the US Forest Service is able to get it repaired as quickly as possible.  It's the beginning of the hiking trail to the top of the waterfall and then beyond that a trail loop around to Wahkeena Falls and also to the top of Larch Mt.  I'll keep you apprised.

I hope you have a super weekend.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! so glad no one was on it....that's one mighty big hole! Keep us updated!
    Happy Weekend!
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a shame but also so good that no one was there at the time. Look forward to hearing that it's all been repaired! Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad to hear about this. I was just up there, hiking the Larch Mt trail the weekend after Christmas (in search of the famous "Christmas Ornament Trail.") Hope they can get it repaired quickly, but it looks like some pretty serious damage was done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, just as well no one was up there at the time. Fantastic photo's and great of the news guy
    to send to you ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that must have been some big rock! Nature is always keeping us guessing.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they'll be able to fix the bridge in time for it's 100th year. Very kind of the reporter to send the photos to you and glad to hear no on was hurt. Take care, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrible shame and with the 100th celebration planned for next year, I do hope the bridge can be repaired before then. Your other photos are so pretty - you really do have an eye for beauty Teresa. That last one with the lamp is a real stunner. Hope your weekend is great too - we're in for a scorcher - have had the air con turned on since last night. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought of you and Linda W when I saw this report yesterday. Very, very sad--it's such a gorgeous bridge in a magnificent setting--and part of our state's history too. I am hoping they are able to repair it, but it may not be a quick job :(
    Blessings,
    Aimee
    PS: Hope the incoming storm causes you no damage up there in the clouds :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was really nice of the news photographer. From what I've heard they usually don't share so willingly. It must have been your persuasive personality! Nobody can say no to Teresa. :-) I AM very glad no one was on the bridge. It's an even bigger hole than I first thought.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teresa, I saw this on Facebook. I was trying to puzzle out why that name was so familiar and then I remembered, "That's where Teresa volunteers!". So glad no one was on the bridge. That hole is huge. YIKES! Hope they get it repaired soon so the bridge can celebrate its centennial. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear! That's terrible! I'm sure glad no one was on it at the time. Although I have to say it's way to scary looking and high for me to ever venture onto but it is a shame for those brave soles that do. Hope they can repair it quickly. It's so very pretty there! I just love the falls and all the greenery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a same, but thanks goodness no one was hurt.

    This place looks amazing, I would love to visit one day. The gorge reminds me somewhat of the paths leading up to the Alhambra in Spain, lots of running water, moss-covered rocks and beautiful little ferns springing up everywhere.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness me Teresa it was lucky no one was on there. Amazing photos from that guy..how good for him to share. Our daughter and darling Daisy are here :-) Happy weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a good thing nobody was on the bridge at the time! I hope they get in fixed in time for the celebration, there will be something extra to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a shame but most thankfully no one was hurt.
    I hope it is fixed soon so that your 100 year old celebrations can continue as planned.
    Love linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looked on line last night and watched the video from KGW. We're still going there for my birthday next month. It's a good thing it happened when nobody was on the bridge. Thanks for sharing the photos, Teresa. Hope you're staying inside in this rainy weather. It's windy and raining here in the Willamette Valley, Ore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, that's pretty scary. I'm so glad nobody was hurt. It's such a beautiful bridge, I will be hoping it gets fixed in time for the celebration. I'm sure everyone will be very thankful to have it back in working order.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)