Monday, July 23, 2018

Making Earrings and a Baby Hat

Hello, thanks for visiting.  :-)  I've been wearing some yellow gold hoop earrings that I made so long ago that I can't even remember the year.  All the earring drops I wear I hang on these hoops.  I have 2 pair as I think I lost the original pair so made a new set, then found the first ones.  It's nice to have 2 for switching out earrings.  Last year I got a pair of rose gold earrings with a black pearl and since then I've been planning to get some rose gold wire and make a pair of hoops and did so yesterday.  I use 16 gauge gold wire which is sturdy and a nice thickness.  I make a little loop on one end with my round nose jewelry pliers then bend the wire around my wooden ring sizer, then cut the end, use my jewelry file to round off the cut end, bend it up slightly and.. voila.. a new earring hoop!


Here they are with the pearl earring drops.  They look so much nicer with rose gold hoops than the yellow gold!  The earrings have little diamonds around the center green diamond. 


I also got a new rose gold wheat chain for the matching pendant.  I'm all set for my trip to Ohio now.  :-)


In other crafting news my brother's youngest daughter Jessica just had her second child, her first is a darling little girl and now she and her husband have welcomed a baby boy.  I wanted to make a hat and asked her what colors she would like and she suggested gray and navy.  I was very pleased to find this yarn which is designed to be the color of denim Jeans.  It has some fun flecks is the yarn.


I got 2 different blues but only used the darker one as it's closer to navy.. but this yarn will not go to waste as I can already see some winter hats for my grandsons using it.


Here is the design I created for his little hat - I don't usually like this hat with double crochet as it's so "hole-y", so I did a half double crochet which gives it a nice sturdy feel to it.  Then I am making a roll brim in a ribbing.  It's done by chaining 16 stitched down and then single crocheting in the back stitch up and back down, connecting to the hat in two stitches.  I think this is a perfect boy hat!  Plus, with the roll brim, it will fit him for a long time, rolling it more or less to fit his little head.  :-)  I think some booties to match would be good.. don't you?  


Meeka, our son Shawn's dog, was watching Dayle intently, he must have been eating something.  But I snapped this photo of her, isn't she a beauty?


Our internet has been down for 4 days so some drawing was in order.. lol.. Hayden proudly showed me this drawing of "Cup Head".  Have you ever heard of this?  I hadn't.  He said it was from the 30's.  How he found this is a curiosity to me.  :-)  The Comcast tech is here now and fixed it, thank goodness.



We're in another heat wave but Dayle is keeping the flowers and pots watered and this is my view from my chair.. so colorful!


And here is Dayle enjoying his little green paradise.  :-)


Well.. since the tech was here I'm running late to go swim so I have to rush and pack my swim bag and hit the road.  I hope you have a super week!  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

15 comments:

  1. So much loveliness in this post! I have to say I love those earrings but my holes are so stretched out that I can no longer wear earrings like that. Hat is adorable. Here's hoping for a marine inversion that heads East and cools us off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The earrings are gorgeous Teresa. Aren’t you clever, making your own hoops. They are really nice.
    It’s hot here too but I’m at the lake and there is a slight breeze, so not too bad. Hope swimming was fun.:-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful week too. I am looking forward to hearing about your trip. I do love the denim inspired yarn, it is perfect for little boy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Teresa you are so clever.I adore your new jewellery,so pretty.I too used to make mainly necklaces not so much earrings,still have all the tools and lots of beads.Love the hat,so cute.My friend has just had her baby girl,but her blanket is not ready yet due to the HOT WEATHER,we are having over here !!!.Love that Beautiful Dog she is a Stunner.Loving all of the rest of your photos and Beautiful garden.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hoops you made are beautiful with the pearl on them.

    Love the picture of Shawn's dog. She surely DID want a little bite of Dayle's food. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your jewellery Teresa and have heard the UK is having HOT weather too. Minding those 2 cute ones here for 2 days xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa, you are so talented. I really like your earrings. Very clever and with the pearls they are so lovely. I've never heard of Cuphead--ummm...Hayden is adorable and quite the artist. Meeka is a beautiful dog. I love how you photograph him watching someone eating. I'm sure he's looking for a bite. Hopefully the weather will cool off for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it crazy how the internet being down brings a halt to so many things?! Glad you got yours fixed. I love reading the news in the morning. Love seeing Meeka. She is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hoops are impressive, making a lovely set ready for your trip. Love the denim inspired yarn perfect for a little boy. Meeka is a delight, such a beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely jewellery Teresa - hope we get to see a pic of you wearing them. My goodness Hayden is growing up - he looks very mature in that picture - handsome lad. I like your little baby hat. I'm putting ribbing on mine and think it finishes the hat off nicely. Enjoy your trip. xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yard still looks so lush Teresa - gorgeous!! Love the hat you made for the new baby and that yarn is perfect. And your jewelry making!! I'm in awe. A friend had just started fooling around with wire wrapped pendants, but she needs to perfect her work a bit....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some lovely colours and so much green in your garden.
    We need rain urgently but I'm enjoying our unusual summer

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the earrings Teresa, so beautiful. How exciting the girls are getting a puppy and you will be there to see it! There is nothing like puppy smell, mine are getting bigger and smell more like big dogs now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the rose gold Teresa, gorgeous jewellery. Keep cool! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hat turned out so well and I agree is just right for a little boy. Our flowers are showing stress from all the heat, too, but extra watering is helping. Fun to see Hayden's drawing but not familiar with the character. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)