Friday, September 21, 2018

Tree Cutting Crew

There's been some work going on around the farm.  Kristi got a tree trimmer company in and they took down a holly tree that was shading the house and was unnecessary as we have two huge male and female holly trees on the side of the front yard.  We also had them take down a volunteer wild cherry tree that was growing bigger and bigger and leaning over our master bedroom skylights.  Then they trimmed some dead branches out of the Pin Oak and Douglas Fir trees in our woods.  Here is Sparky (Dayle's nickname) hauling debris to the burn pile.  :-) Kristi took this neat photo and sent it to me.


I went out on the front porch to snap a photo of Dayle pulling the holly tree out of the woods to haul to the pasture.  Our poor front yard is a mess from the construction project and the moles!


The little forest is opened up more now.


I drove a truck out to watch the fire for a while with Dayle.  Our son Travis cut down an old Rhododendron as we needed to expand our parking area.  And then they took down a big Hawthorn tree - Dayle found it hard to mow around it due to the thorny branches hanging low.  


Here he comes with the Hawthorn tree.


It always makes me nervous seeing Dayle drive the tractor right into the fire to shove the wood into the flames.  See the Chestnut tree behind the fire, it's loaded with nuts. 


The fire was so hot that even the fresh cut Hawthorn was burning.


I then drove the truck up in the back pasture hillside to take a photo of the Hawthorn berries on the tree up there.  We will not be cutting that one down.  :-)  It's fun to look down on the house, can you see it?  As you can see we have no lack of trees on the old farm place.


There it is.. behind the trampoline and play structure.  :-)


Berries!


This tree is nice to look at as it grows at the crest of the hillside pasture behind our house.  


Caleb decided to draw the other day and asked me what he should draw, so I suggested a rocket ship.  I was pretty impressed with his drawing!  Both of our grandsons are excellent artists.


Well.. it's a swim day so soon I will head off to swim with my friend Gracie.  I hope you have a great weekend, do you have any fun plans?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

15 comments:

  1. Wow, everyone has been busy at your place. I hope you were able to enjoy the fire once the tractor was out the way :) xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful changes all around you, Teresa! Lis and I went out and picked more apples this morning and I did a bit of weeding and watering. It is definitely feeling more like Fall, isn't it! I enjoyed seeing Caleb's rocket ship, too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy have you guys been busy! I bet it will open up your views. You are lucky to have all of that equipment to do all of this work. When we get this type of work done, it's very expensive. Caleb's rocket is nice and he's a cutie! Enjoy your weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your property is so large and so pretty! So much natural beauty all around you. Thanks for sharing, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece of property you live on! You have been really busy with yard work... it's hard work but looks so nice when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire! We’re still under a burn ban and can’t even have a fire in the fire pit at the lake. Tonight, for the last time this year, we all sat around the gas fire pit with the outdoor heater on. It was 41F! Brrrr. Tomorrow we winterize the trailer for the season. :-(
    You’re getting so much done at the farmstead this year, it all looks wonderful. Caleb did an excellent job with his rocket ship. You have a budding artist on your hands. It must be genetic. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great adventure you are having , working together and having fun as a family is the best. Everyone's hard work will be rewarded with such stunning views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow super busy at your place! I too would be a tad nervous at my OH driving a tractor pretty much into a bonfire! Glad no harm done to truck or man. We have no weekend plans really, I am washing all the wet, smelly, muddy clothes that my daughter brought back from her school residential trip - they had horrendous rain so everything is soaked through and some of it has been lying in her bag since Monday when they went away! Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so much lovely space Teresa. How fab for your grandson's they must love it. Enjoy the weekend. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a lot of work to get done this week. I bet it smelled just like fall with all that wood burning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taking care of mature trees and shrubs. My yard as well. I'm at the flock and fiber show today volunteering. Maybe I'll see you.
    p.s. Tell Dayle we sold the Stearman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I wish we had more trees. We have lots in the woods. I like to keep the woods natural. I heard the Screech owl last night at 8pm when I ran an errand. It is a thrill each time I hear it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's one big fire. I am surprised you can burn all this wood without council interference. We aren't really allowed such fires but I guess we are in the middle of town. The extra light in your house will be just perfect, now that the darker season is upon us. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your property Teresa - it is lovely. Those berries are so vibrant - several branches in a vase would be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catching up with you. Loving the photos of your place. How lucky you are living there, though I love my home as well. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)