Monday, September 24, 2018

Weekend on the old Farm Place

I got my sunflowers!  I went to the grocery store on my way home from swimming on Friday and along with the carrots and muffins I snagged me a bouquet of these beauties.  Now my dining table is complete.


Is there any flower as evocative of Autumn than a pretty golden yellow sunflower?


There was a wedding held across the street on Saturday in the lavender field they've put in - they had bales of straw for folks to sit on and a big tent and strings of lights.  Yesterday someone walked across the road and asked us if we wanted some straw and I said.. "Yes!"  So Kristi hopped on the tractor and went over and they loaded all the bales on it and here she came so I snapped this photo.  Isn't she the perfect farmer girl?  :-)



I suggested we put one right in the chicken pen as it was just dirt on the ground so Kristi bucked a bale of straw in there and cut the twine and tossed flakes of straw around and the chickens just had a blast scratching in it looking for something to eat.



Travis had the week off and Kristi had an extensive "honey do" list.  Yesterday they removed all the furniture and potted plants on the deck and power washed it to ready it for a fresh coat of oil finish.  I miss the table and plants!


I had remarked a while back that this beautiful leafed begonia had no flowers and Dayle told me that it was indeed flowering.  You can hardly see them as they blend into the leaves.



My miniature variegated rose in bloom.. it's so cute as the flowers are coin sized.  This plant barely made it through last winter with only one shoot but it's improved a bit this summer.



Kristi also decided we needed a better piece of furniture by our back door with more storage and ordered this, it came in a box in pieces and she put the whole thing together herself.  


I don't think I've ever shown you the prehistoric mortar, pestle and metate of mine.  A local man had found these in the forest when he was out hunting in Eastern Oregon - well he had them most of his life and then decided to sell them when his wife fell into poor health and he posted them in the local newspaper.  Dayle read the ad and we called him and drove over and bought these from him.  A big regret of mine is he had a frame of arrowheads he'd also found and wanted us to buy them too but I thought we'd spent enough already and declined.  



The native people used this eons ago to grind meat, fats, seeds, nuts and berries to make pemmican to feed themselves over the long hard cold winters.  Pemmican is a concentrated mixture of fat and protein used as a nutritious food. Historically, it was an important part of Native American cuisine in certain parts of North America, and is still prepared today. The word comes from the Cree word pimîhkân, which itself is derived from the word pimî, "fat, grease".


My daughter Amy in Ohio grew her own pumpkins this summer and this was her harvest over the weekend.  Isn't that neat?



On Saturday Dayle and I picked up a special birthday carrot cake to take to a luncheon at my sister Denise's house as my brother who lives many hours away was in town - so all 4 of us siblings were there.  My sister and brother are twins and are named Robert and Roberta but were nicknamed "Butch and Sis" by all the family when they were little.  So that's what I had put on the cake. :-)


In our decluttering efforts around here I had to finally give up on something I didn't want to.. I had bought a village of little houses when my granddaughters lived 1/2 hour away and came to visit often.  They are called Sweet Streets by Fisher Price.  I took a photo of them and offered them for free on the Corbett Area Facebook page and within hours a woman came to take these away.  :-(  I kept one house and will snap a photo for my next post.  



I am off to swim soon.  What did YOU do over the weekend?  
((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

11 comments:

  1. Kristi is amazing. I think I need her helping out at my place! The mortar and pestle is incredible and a wonderful thing to display and treasure. School holidays here so we're all falling over each other. It's nice having us all together though. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though you had another busy weekend. How nice to be gifted all of that hay. I’m sure that will come in handy around your place. Love all of the pumpkins and the history lesson of the mortar and pestle. I’m sorry you had to give up the sweet little set of houses. You know I understand how hard it is to have grandchildren so far away. We spent all day Saturday closing up the trailer, which threw my back into fits. I’ve been down with spasms ever since. Hopefully they will be better by tomorrow and now I just have a long cold winter to look forward to. Ha ha!
    Many blessings my friend, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the most interesting things happen around you, Teresa! I love the photo of Kristi with the barn in the background--just lovely. The chickens look happy too! I immediately noticed that gorgeous mortar and pestle! What an amazing piece of ancient art! I hope those little Fisher Price houses will be enjoyed by some lucky little folks. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your lovely sunflowers along with the beautiful results of your latest projects on the farm! It was kind of you to gift some little folk with the the tiny houses that will no doubt spur them on to some constructive imaginative playing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dining table was indeed a feast for the eyes, such beauty. How wonderful to be gifted the hay bales, Kristi looked right at hoe as a farm girl. Loved the mortar and pestle and the wonderful history around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your sunflowers! So cheerful. And the chickens look so happy to be scratching around in the hay. That Kristi is a bundle of energy for sure...I could use her help...any time!!

    What a neat mortar & pestle - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the barrel of pumpkins. Cool mortar story. What kind of cake is that??????
    Our weekend was fun as Zach spent it here with us. Zach and Fireman went golfing on saturday. Neighbors came for a bbq Sunday. It was time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous sunflowers. Kristi is wonderful. A fine crop of pumpkins! Delicious cake! Happy chickens. Smart decking. You sure put a lot of interesting things in your posts Teresa - love them. Hugs Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore sunflowers too as they evoke the changing colours of autumn to me. Your pestle and mortar is amazing, a true piece of history and what find! As I'm sure I've said before, I have porch/decking envy...yours looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I just LOVE your news and the photos are just Awesome.I would love to visit your part of the world,Sooooo Beautiful.I could do with a piece of furniture like that in my Hall.That Mortar and Pestle is Amazing never seen anything like it.What a Beautiful Sun Flower,love them.Carrot Cake one of my favourites.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! look at that barn and pumpkins! what a visual delight. Barns here in the u.k are so different. And what a lovely cake. Sunflowers always make me smile, though here in the u.k theyre atrating to turn to seeds ;) x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)