Monday, October 15, 2018

Apple and Pear Harvest in Hood River

Dayle and I headed off on Saturday to visit the Hood River Valley on a beautiful sunny and brisk day.  This was my favorite photo of Mt. Hood looming behind the fruit orchards and farms.  To be honest, we took a road we've never been on and found ourselves climbing up a steep hillside with this view peaking through the trees.  :-)


Our first stop was Panorama Point where I snapped this photo, I was very disappointed as the sun was actually back-lighting the mountain so it was not a clear photo.  


As we meandered around the back roads in the orchards we came across this charming church.


We drove up Hwy 35 and found a fruit stand we have visited before, we got some apples and pears fresh off the trees and a bottle of cherry syrup and sour cherry jam.  Oh, and a gallon of fresh squeezed apple juice.  Heading back to Hood River you can see Mt. Adams which is in Washington.


We headed to the Hood River Marine park area and lo and behold, we saw the Queen of the West, which we had seen the weekend before in Astoria when we were there to sail on the tall ship!!  She'd covered 151 miles since we'd seen her last.


As we drove around the marine park we got to the bow of the sternwheeler.  


We also visited a place I'd heard of but never seen, Ruthton Point.  Dayle snapped a few photos from the viewpoint.  See the old farmhouse and the vineyard below?  The train going by.


Looking north and east from the viewpoint, Washington across the river.


The train curving through the farmlands on the shore.


We had lunch at Riverside restaurant which offers a lovely view of the river.  The most notable part of the lunch was a woman who laughed uproariously and loudly during our entire meal.  :-)


As we headed out of the restaurant I snapped this image of a maple tree covered with bright red leaves outside the window.


And then another.. covered with little bright red helicopter seeds.


We also drove through the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel, there was a wedding party going on on the grounds with tables and linens and partygoers.  I love this place. 


I also have snapped some trees in our area over the last few days.. this line of trees in Troutdale is beautiful every year.


A brilliant red-orange tree.


Another.. still with some green leaves below.


My big pot of mixed Christmas Cactus has a couple blooms, this particular one is the one I rescued from my mother's room shortly before we lost her.  Every time it blooms I think it's my Mother saying hello.


We went out to dinner last night at Bumper's Grill and when I ordered my steak tenderloin, they were out of them.  Dang!  But then the waitress came back and said they did have ONE of their specials, a Beef Wellington, would I like that?  Why not?  And what a wonderful meal it was.  It was pastry around a beef tenderloin with Bordelaise sauce.  


I wanted to show you some of the pears and apples we brought home.  We'll be dining on some of them today!


One of the pear varieties is HUGE!


I tried to capture a sliver of a moon the other night but the photos did not come out well of the close ups, but I think this one came out kind of fun.


The next night I tried again, it's better but still not the best.  How I wish I had a camera that would get super clear shots of the moon.


We are being blessed with a week of sunny warm weather with cool nights and breezy afternoons.  Works for me!  I hope you have a lovely week.  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

17 comments:

  1. I loved coming with you on your travels. Such beautiful countryside and the trees are magnificent. I love the rich colours of the maples. Sadly we have very few on this island. I noticed a few buds on our Christmas cactus, it lovely that they remind you of your mum. Enjoy those apples and pears :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice outing to Hood River. We like going there too and get apples and pears. We like Gracie's China Gorge restaurant.. Up on the hill. Weekend we went to The Dalles we didn't find any open there or not enough time. Nice here too with same type of weather... breezy and sunny. Enjoy your fruit and the moon!!!🌙

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees are on fire in your part of the world! I enjoyed traveling along with you, lovely sights. Here, it was cold for the first time today, I wish I had taken mittens for my cycle to work. Autumn is lovely, isn't it? Except when it is raining of course. Have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great pictures! Our Columbia River Gorge is a glorious place this time of year for sure, especially with the good weather. We travel through the Hood River valley often and always marvel at the beauty there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are BEAUTIFUL! You certainly live in an area ripe with photo ops!!!

    Still rainy here....I think Bucks County has decided it wants to be Seattle. LOL

    Hoping that when the trees turn here, we will have some sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather here is so beautiful! Glad you could enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa, I do think that is your mom wishing you joy when that plant blooms. I love your evening moon shots with the garage/barn lit up. I agree with Dee, your photographs are so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the perfect day. I have to say that church is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your photos of the area you live in. It truly is beautiful. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos...perfect to me. Thanks so much for taking them and presenting them with a winsome narrative that took me along on your lovely adventures. The moon over the barn photo is especially delightful... xxxxxxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really was a joy to come along with you on your travels and enjoy some of the stunning views you shared with us. The beautiful array of colours on the trees was a feast for the eyes, such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pleasure to view your beautiful pictures today! The views on your trip were wonderful.....they really evoke that lovely place. The fruit you bought looks and sounds delicious. And such colour in the trees....a real joy. Have a happy week Teresa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning drive! Thank you for taking us along with you. Our drive on Saturday wasn’t nearly as nice, but once we got to Montana on Sunday it was absolutely gorgeous. It’s good to be home.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a super trip your had Teresa, such lovely autumn photos. Enjoy that lovely fruit! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life has been busy in recent months (older daughter going off to University and young - autistic - one changing schools) but I've been reading and appreciating your blog, as always. I've tried - and failed - on numerous occasions to get a decent Moon photo, but with little success.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful place to get married. I went to my friend's wedding here this past weekend. This place is beautiful, one of the nicest locations for a wedding I've ever been. The ceremony at Chicago wedding venues was very nice and felt very intimate.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)