Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Old Friends and Autumn Shopping

Our beautiful Autumn weather continues, sunshine, breezes, cool nights and lovely days.  I decided to put my new Halloween tablecloth on the dining table and bring out some of my favorite decorations.


This candle is a new addition, I'll tell you more about it later.


I do adore my crocheted pumpkins, the little witch, the scarecrow porcelain candlestick I've had for years.


I have a little lady skeleton all dressed in purple hanging from the light fixture, a ghost bride hanging from the gazebo and a full size skeleton hanging on the porch light post.  :-)



Do you decorate for Halloween?  If so, what do you put out, do tell us all.



I have this black cat dressed up in a dress, a black cape flying in the wind and she's holding her pointed hat as it tries to blow away.



The new tablecloth has a dark grey night sky with stars sprinkled across it on the top and all around the edges are vintage styled Halloween images.



I'm so enjoying it!



Yesterday I met with an old friend who had moved to Charleston, South Carolina some years ago - she was in town and wanted to meet for lunch.  Her name is Micky and we had such a wonderful catch-up over lunch in Ristorante Pompello in Troutdale, OR.  We discussed good books, updated each other on our family news, discussed politics.. :-)  After lunch we strolled down the street and popped into a shop that sells Magnolia products from the hit Home and Garden TV show, Fixer Upper.  It smelled divine in there, I inquired what kind of candle was burning and it was named "Corner Bakery".  Here is Micky holding the candle.



I was attracted to these stems of cotton bolls and bought 2 of them.  My mother told us stories of her and her family picking cotton in Oklahoma when she was a child and I'd always wanted some in my home.  :-)


We then went on down the the Troutdale General Store to check out their Halloween decorations which were wonderful.  I love all the vintage things on display above the door.


They have an old fashioned soda fountain, too.  I must return soon for a soda.



As you can see the things they have for sale are full of charm.



Micky returned to the Magnolia shop and surprised me with a gift of this candle!  Thank you, Micky!!


I lit this candle last evening and you would not believe the wonderful aroma of baking bread or more, cookies right out of the oven!!


As I drove home with the windows down letting the fresh breezes blow through my hair I enjoyed seeing the sun sparkling off the Sandy River.  I do love where I live.


On Monday as Dayle and I were preparing to leave for our Friends of Multnomah Falls meeting, Hayden ran in and said there was a wreck in front of our pasture.  Travis and Kristi went right out to see if they could help.  They directed traffic while we waited for the Corbett Volunteer Fire & Rescue arrived.  The young driver had dropped something and bent over to pick it up he careened into our ditch and then went out of control and ended up sideways in the road.  His head hit something and he had to be taken to the hospital.  Luckily he is okay.



So, I'm off to swim soon.  I'm so glad it's fair weather.  What are you up to today?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like the visit with your friend was a lovely time.

    Thankful the young driver wasn't hurt and hopefully he learned to pay attention to the road. Considering the trees, it could have been MUCH worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Teresa I was loving your post right up to the end. I’m glad the young driver will be OK. I can just imagine the smell of that wonderful candle and I remember those fun stores by the restaurant. Someday will have lunch there again, you, me, Gracie, Taci and Becky. I miss all of you.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet your grandsons love all those Halloween decorations. Must be fun in your household. What a thoughtful gift of a candle. Glad you had a good time. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Teresa, I LOVE that you decorate so for Halloween. I think decorating is whimsical and fun. The vintage cloth was my favorite I think. I put out a ghost who holds a jack o lantern. My sister gave it to me 35 years ago. It is ceramic and lights up. It has never chipped. I have a wooden pumpkin that says EEK on it. And of course I have 3 huge plastic pumpkins from OKlahoma city that decorate the porch. I love a jack o lantern lit up at night. Love the smell and the site. Lucky you to see Fixer Upper store stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although my kids are grown and gone and my grandkids live far enough away that they don't get here in the Halloween season, I love decorating for Halloween. Some of my young neighbors see the decorations and, truthfully, I do them more for me. I love to quilt so have pieced work of goblins plus a few table runners. Thanksgiving in Canada was on the October 8th so I didn't pull Halloween decorations until after that. However, lots of my Thanksgiving items stay out ... fall colored leaves, wreaths, copper pans, etc. Fall is my favorite decorating season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want to smell that candle, too! Margaret and I had fun exploring those stores, too, before we had lunch with you. I have been holding out to see if I can find some dried cotton boll stems to buy because I am fascinated with the process of turning cotton bolls into thread and I like the way the stems look, too. I have an autumn scented candle on the table and some paper napkins that have colorful leaves imprinted on them. So glad you enjoyed time with a friend and glad too that the young driver was not more badly injured. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have purchased the cotton bolls too, they are pretty and not often found as a bouquet. Glad the driver of that car is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your Halloween decor. We used to decorate and always had a party when the children were home, but these days don't bother. I like to make more of an effort on getting things ready for Christmas, crafting everyone a little gift. Loved the packaging of the candle your sweet friend gifted. Hopefully not too much damage to the car and the young man was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely your table looks Teresa. Great to catch up with old friends isnt it! I'm glad the driver was OK....he was lucky to get out OK. Enjoy your sunshine, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicky is munched loved in South Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your friend meet up went so nicely, good friends are a treasure. That poor young driver, lucky he was relatively unharmed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice that you could connect with your friend and catch up. I don't really decorate much for Halloween anymore. I have a Halloween wreath on the front door but most everything else is more fall decorations than Halloween. Your decorations are fun and I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)