Friday, November 16, 2018

Getting In The Spirit

I usually don't mention too much about Christmas before Thanksgiving, which is next Thursday, but I'm getting in the spirit of the holidays early.  A fellow DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) member does rosemaling and so I told her I'd like to buy one of her pieces.  The candelabra below was delivered to me after swimming on Wednesday.  I love it!

Rosemaling, the decorative folk painting of Norway, began in the low-land areas of eastern Norway about 1750 when such upper class artistic styles as Baroque, Regency and Rococo were introduced to Norway's rural culture. 


I have ordered some bayberry candles for this which I think will make the house smell very Christmassy!  I'm very impressed with her rosemaling artistry.  Have you ever seen this type of art before?  


And of course the December issues of the magazines I subscribe to are arriving.  I get Victoria and both the US and UK versions of Country Living.  I had been getting Coastal Living for years until the last issue where they said it was their final subscription to be sent.  :-(


Yesterday the kids went shopping and Kristi brought this cute little barn ornament and gave it to me, she said it looked so much like our barn.  :-)



Our little new Christmas cactus started blooming in the garden window - there are two color varieties in the pot, white and a red one.  The white is blooming first.. :-)


But I will put these decorations aside and concentrate on Thanksgiving now.  We've made our menu and shopping list and Dayle is off to get a turkey today while I go swimming.  


It's a sunny day which is good.. it's much easier heading out to jump in a big pool of cool water when the sun is shining.  :-)

What are you up to today?  Are you getting into the holiday spirit of things?  ((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely candelabra. Although I love all things Nordic, I didn't know that this kind of decoration was called Rosemaling. I've always wanted a Dala horse, decorated this way and have put a request into Father Christmas.....we shall see. Happy Thanksgiving for next week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think rosemaling is beautiful. I have seen it before, but never knew anyone who did it. Your candelabra is beautiful. What a sweet little barn. I’m thinking of taking my fall decorations down next week. We’re not having anyone over and I’d like to have the house decoration free for a week or two before putting out a little bit of Christmas. We have a beautiful sunshiny day here today too and I’m enjoying it. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The candelabra is lovely. My Aunt used to do Rosemaling and decorated a wooden photo album for a wedding gift for hubby and me. It still holds our wedding photos but I haven't looked at it for awhile. I think it might be time to make a cup of tea and head down memory lane for a bit. Enjoy your weekend. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi is so thoughtful . That barn is just perfect. Im ready to decorate the outdoor trees with lights this weekend. We are having a special Thanksgiving with my sister and Zachary is home for the first time in two years. My heart is so full, Teresa. I am so so thankful

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have heaps of decorations and I love them all. Candelabra sure is beautiful. Getting HOT here and then next week back to cold, crazy OZ weather in Victoria. Kristi sure is special and love that little barn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I seen that Norwegian design before. Good choice for your house. Today I bought a fleece blanket for our couch. Looks winter-y...Christmas. Megan had got one at Tjmaxx the other day. So I swerved that way home from getting groceries after a pedicure. Tjmaxx is a fun store. Working on gifts for Christmas. Nearly done. A ham in freezer already for thanksgiving. Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely piece your friend made, Teresa. Rosemaling is a beautiful art form. I don't think I've seen a white Christmas cactus. Your's has such lush blooms! I like your Thanksgiving header of your table. Have a lovely weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. The candelabra is so pretty! I have enjoyed seeing Rosemaling pieces without knowing or at least remembering that is the name of the art form. Elisabeth's Christmas Cactus has started to bloom...red raspberry blooms. I stopped by to see the property Lis and Gary are interested in yesterday, and today the realtors, Lis, Grantie and I met a house inspector at the place I have an offer on. Work to be done, and trying to wrap my brain around priority lists! Happy Weekend! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your candelabra is gorgeous. The rosemaling is beautiful. Your friend is very talented and I'm sure that is a piece you will cherish for years.

    Seems like a lot of magazines are quitting. Cooking Light put out their final issue this month. I understand why (I think --- they changed their "light" focus. Some recipes are just way over the top). But, it doesn't mean I won't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Norwegian painted candelabra looks really pretty. I’ve always loved that kind of folksy art. When we visited Norway last year we saw lots of examples in their folk museum. Hope your Thanksgiving goes well. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am like you and try not to think about Christmas before Thanksgiving. This year I have purchased a couple of small gifts and I've been knitting some gifts as well. With seven grandchildren I can't leave everything until after Thanksgiving or it would never get done in time for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow Teresa that is a wonderful candelabra, I hope you keep it out all year. Yes I see that is the type of folk art around, it is very pretty. Your friend is very talented. I love your Christmas magazines too...Christmas is fast approaching now! Happy weekend, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That candle holder is lovely. In Germany it is called Baurenmalerei or 'farm painting. (I may have spelled the German word in correctly.) It was a way for 'common' folk to have 'fancy' furniture for the cost of paint. She did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have come across this type of artwork before, it is beautiful. You have a talented friends and a very thoughtful Daughter in law the ornament is stunning. I have been working on Christmas for quite awhile as I like to add a few handmade items to family stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the candle holder. i am looking forward to reading more about your Thanksgiving Celebrations. x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)