Monday, November 12, 2018

Veterans Day Parade 2018

Today we honor our Veterans here in the USA and I know many other countries are doing the same.  We drove our red car in the Hollywood area Parade along with my Daughters of the American Revolution War - Portland Chapter, plus the Sons of the American Revolution, pictured below, and Wahkeena chapter.  My sister Roberta's husband Teddy is the one in the buckskins below - he's descended from Daniel Boone's younger brother.


This is the SAR group.



The guys.  :-)


Our group photo.. #1.  :-)


My very own personal veteran, my husband I married almost 49 years ago, Dayle.  I just had new magnetic signs made for the parade, his has 2 of his medals, his wings and his 1st Cav patch.



On my side of the car is my sign.



Group photo #2 after more of our group arrived.


My friends, it was CCCOLD!  The wind was blowing through our open windows as we waved to the appreciative crowds.  



We also had 2 passengers, Chapter Regent Jane and John, a chapter member's husband who was also a Vietnam Vet.  I'm not sure why our chapter has turned around and was looking at us, but it made for a good shot!  :-)



I snapped this quick shot as a band of bagpipers passed by us, oh how I love the sound of pipers!  And men in kilts.. well.. all I can say is.. YES!


So many people came out to honor our veterans and waved at us and were waving flags.  I just love being in this parade.


Here is the ribbon we were given for participating in the parade, we had it hanging on our rear-view mirror in the event.  A great day was had by all.


My Dad, Wallace Winston Shaklee when he was in the Marines during WWII.  He was on Iwo Jima during a terrible battle with the Japanese there.



Husband Dayle was a Warrant Officer, flying a helicopter in Vietnam.  He was shot through the thigh on one scouting mission and was later medically retired from the service.


Here he is as a very young guy learning to fly.


Dayle's dad Ralph served in the Army and was lucky to be placed in the military post office.


My brother Robert also served, Airman First Class, Staff Sergeant.  Russian Linguist. (Served in Misawa, Japan and St. Laurence Island, Alaska.


We had to get up at 6:30 am to be in the parade, I am tired now!  I would like everyone take a moment to remember and honor those in your family who have served in the military to protect your country and your freedom.  Do share if you have someone you're proud of in the comment section.  

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 





12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post Teresa. Alex lives near to wear your brother was stationed in Misawa. I’ve been to that base before. I also enjoyed seeing the parade. I think it’s wonderful that you take part in this each year. Thank Dayle for Dennis and I. We both have family who go away back in the military don’t we? I’m proud of both of our husbands. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Teresa ♥ My dad was in ww11 in the navy and my grandfather in ww1 in the army. I remember them always all who have fought for us. Finally up to date with my blog posts been doing them almost daily lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first Veterans Day Parade I've been able to participate as member of the Portland DAR Chapter - what a great time - it was amazing to see so many people of all ages lining the route, watching and cheering each group of participants, as well as thanking the veterans for their service. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute to all the veterans who served, Teresa. I like how your area celebrates the sacrifice all these young men made. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have quite a military legacy.

    I have relatives that fought in the Revolutionary War (Battle of Fort Washington, The Battle of Crooked Billet and the Skirmish in Edge Hill) AND the Civil War. My father was Army in WWII. My uncle Ernie was Air Force, WWII. My nephew was Army, First Gulf War and his father was Navy, VietNam.

    A big thanks to all YOUR family and all those others who served throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am grateful for my family members who have served for the cause of peace in the armed services: uncle, husband, cousins, nieces and nephews, and I thank Dayle, your family members, and others who have served as well. I appreciate you sharing some of the parade and remembrances with us. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you participate in all these parades Teresa - it is great! Love the buckskins!!! And gosh, everyone does look so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post and tribute to family veterans. Such a wonderful parade. Both Gerard and I served as did both our Dads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post . Thanks for inviting us to share. My father served stateside. He was very young , 18, and he rarely talks about it . I think it was his first time away from family and he was stressed. Our dear friend Larry, served in Viet nam. He suffers from PSTD. He is a pillar of inspiration. He gets up, he tries and he is a proud Vietnam vet. One more: our barn friend Ray served stateside too. He honorably was in charge of a military cemetery. He made sure his brothers were honorably put to rest. I think it must have been a very difficult job. I did remember to thank the vets yesterday personally. Love that you all brave the cold!! Bless your hearts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures and a wonderful tribute to your family veterans Teresa. You were good to go out to the parade when it was so cold! XxX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing some of your family history with us Teresa. We have a few family members on both sides who served. Hubby's grandfather was a POW in Changi and on my side there are a number of relatives who served in various campaigns. Mum's Uncle was a amateur photographer who took some extraordinary photos when serving in Japan and I'm fortunate enough to be the custodian of his wonderful cameras. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank Dayle for his service Teresa. He and the rest of the men in your family have made such an incredible contribution to all of us.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)