Monday, December 10, 2018

More Advent Calendar Reveals

Care to join me in opening some wooly & yarny & fun surprise things in my Alicia Paulson Advent Calendar?  You do?  OK!  I showed you the first 7 in my last post.  Here is #8.  A wonderful candle made by Alicia herself!  Oh it smells so nice!


I wondered what was in this tissue!  It wasn't soft like yarn.  :-)


Over the weekend I unrolled the pretty skeins of yarn.  



My assistant, Dayle, holding the yarn so I can roll balls.



I have devised an excellent way to roll a ball.. I hold out the end of the yarn and then begin rolling a ball on my finger tip.  I roll and roll and twist the ball on my fingertip as I go to make a well rounded ball.  This way I can use the yarn and pull from the center with the end I held out and wind around.  :-)



Here are my first 3 balls ready to begin knitting my cowl.



I began with the pretty pink one.  I bought the recommended circular needle, size 3.  BUT.. I started my project with it and it drove me completely bonkers, the connecting cord kept flipping up into my face and getting in my way.  Knowing it was to be knitted flat, I found the right sized needles in my collection of vintage faux tortoise shell needles and knitted the project on over onto them.


I am so much happier using straight needles!  I did not have any stitch markers so I used little circles of yarn tied in knots.  But that was not a happy solution as the yarn got knitted into the project.  


You can buy the PDF of the cowl pattern on Alicia Paulson's website, click HERE.


Aren't these needles wonderful?  And they're so pliable, too.



OK.. a new morning.. what could be in this small envelope??  Hmm!!


OMG.. 5 beautiful stitch markers on silver rings with a sweet little bead on each one!!!  Just what I was needing!!


I have really been enjoying this project - you can see it will be smaller on the top and wider at the bottom.  I had to google how to do a "slip 1st stitch with yarn in front, then move yarn to back and knit".  LOL!  I had to tighten up the stitches where I have to turn and go back.



This morning's surprise.  


Oh.. I like this one with lime color mixed in!


  
In the pattern she said you can change colors every 8 rows, but this will be the back of the cowl so I did a bigger area of the pink, less ends to weave in.  I did change colors there at the bottom, but it's hard to tell the difference.



OK.. now on to a sad story of murder and mayhem while Dayle and I were gone running errands on Saturday.  Remember my cute little sheep I named Noel?  WELL.. look what we found when we returned home!!!  A pile of curly wool on the floor.  After more searching we found the body of Noel.  A hole ripped in her side, one ear gone.. the cute little eyes and nose and rosy cheeks gone, erased by drool.  


Poor little Noel.. naked, earless, and left to die a slow and painful death.  Now, I know you're asking.. where did you leave your little sheep?  WELL.. she was on top of my computer table.  About 3 feet off the ground.  Now.. Buddy is not 3 feet tall.... 



Meeka, the German Shepherd IS 3 feet tall.  So, who is the criminal?  Hmm.. you tell me.  



Well.. on to more positive news.. there was a dusting of snow at Multnomah Falls a few days ago.  Someone posted a new photo on Facebook, there was no name attached to it, but I thought I'd show you.  If the photographer comes forward I will be happy to add their name to this.. :-)



Last but not least - Little Bee - on Facebook - posted this photo of one of her friends who crocheted this Sunday Shawl using Scheepjes Whirl in the colorway Rosewater Cocktail.  I fell immediately in love with it and have ordered this yarn.  I already have the pattern.  I look forward to working on this!  :-)


I had a DAR meeting this morning so this post is late in the day, it's 5 pm here.  So, I will bid you adieu for now.  

************************************
 *M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
************************************

((hugs)), Teresa :-) 

18 comments:

  1. Your gifts from Alicia are so lovely! I follow her blog and she is amazing! I can't wait to see your finished projects. Poor Noel... I had a little moment of silence for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about little Noel. Hopefully you'll be able to repair. What a pretty shawl. You'll have to show us when you've made your's. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Claus thinks Dayle is a wonderful yarn winding helper. She notes that fireman is not a willing or happy participant like that. Lucky Teresa! The Falls Lodge is breathtaking....in winter. I need to open some presents...well I kind of already did. I got to snuggle,bathe and play with Zach's new kitten Bear this afternoon. Oh I d take him in a heartbeat. Im thinking of fostering again perhaps......this winter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness poor Noel the sheep!! She looked happy with herself, no guilt at all look there lol Falls Lodge oh so gorgeous Teresa and thanks for sharing xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, poor little Noel. Can't imagine who the culprit might be ... not with that big smiley face. :) ha-ha! I'm not a knitter. Tried twice but it just didn't make sense or feel right to me. Heck, even with crochet, I will always be a novice as I much prefer whatever is quick and easy. I'm told I need to stretch myself and try harder patterns, but I'll leave that to others. :) What fun every day to open your advent calendar. Advent is not something I ever grew up learning about so I'm enjoying seeing how everyone around the world celebrates it. Dayle is an excellent helper. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, poor Noel. She looks just pitiful. I wonder who could’ve been the culprit?
    You are getting some lovely gifts from Alicia’s advent. I was just thinking I needed to send you some stitch markers and then you showed the picture of the next package with stitch markers in it! I have many and I use them all of the time. Your cowl is looking lovely. Your stitches are so even.
    That is a beautiful shawl. I can very easily see you wearing it in that color. As always Multnomah lodge is gorgeous. We are tentatively planning a trip to the coast in February. If it happens, maybe we can all get together for dinner. Many blessings my friend, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Poor Noel. Who could be so mean and bloodthirsty????

    Your Advent Calendar gifts are all so wonderful Teresa. Opening a yarny gift each day must be so fun.

    Multnomah Lodge is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like your having lots of fun with your yarns and such lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dog is 100% innocent. Look at those eyes and tell me you don't agree. Isn't it how it goes? Two feral cats named Crook and Killer break in and the dog gets blamed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surely Meeka didn't do it. Look at that face!! That is the face of pure innocence.

    (Sorry about your sheep. I'm guessing you have house gremlins. They do all sorts of bad things and try to blame it on the dog, the cat or the kids.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Noel, what a fate, but Meeka's face is so adorable. With our two pooches, we're never quite sure who eggs who on to be honest. Your Advent calendar treats look divine, you lucky thing, such pretty yarn! The Rosewater Cocktail yarn is also stunning as is the Sunday Shawl. I will be getting some birthday money this week and I'm sorely tempted xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That yarn is beautiful and I love knitting cowls so I have bought the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meeting you and visiting your blog has been a pleasure!
    Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meeka looks too sweet to have done that damage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That shawl and those colours are gorgeous, I can't wait to see yours when you make it. Poor Noel... Meeka certainly doesn't look remorseful at all! Enjoy your advent gifts, they look lovely. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm enjoying seeing your daily surprises and how you are using each one. And I'm sorry for the calamity that struck sweet little Noel...and Meeka! Thanks for sharing the gorgeous view of the lodge. I look forward to seeing you create another beautiful shawl like the one in the photo :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to see your daily treats! The cowl and the shawl you are planning look gorgeous. Oh nooo poor Noel.....and Meeka doesn't look too sorry!! Enjoy your week dear Teresa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. That poor sheep, as you know I was horrified to hear about it all. I am not sure that dog is feeling bad about the situation at all. I love that shawl, maybe I should order that yarn because it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments and thank you so much for taking time to leave me a note. :-)